Finally rebuilding Motor, couple Questions

Psykore

It's been 3 years since I took apart my donor car and I purchased my car disassembled, so I have no memory of a couple of things and am hoping you guys can lend a hand. The car is an 87 TSi.

My biggest question is probably pretty simple; Under the exhaust manifold behind the oil filter adapter there is a little hole in the block. This hole goes down into the crankcase. What the heck is supposed to go there? I've dug through my repair manual and looked at the online one and cannot tell at all what should be there.

Which temp. sensor and harness runs the temp. gauge in the dash?

Has anyone used the optional SDS Fan relay to power the stock fans? I haven't had much luck locating Any diagrams for the fan wiring (though I haven't tried really hard to get them wired yet, been working the rest of the stuff).

Thanks for any input :)

Which temp. sensor and harness runs the temp. gauge in the dash?

on your intake manifold there are 3 sensors, two 2 prong sensors, and one 1 prong sensors.

the 2 prong sensors one is vertical and one is horizontal. one of them runs the temp gauge on the dash, they both have the same plug in as well.

I believe the one with the yellow wires goes to the sensors that is horizontal, the other goes to the vertical one.

i believe the hole you are talking about at the oil filter housing is the hole for your knock sensor to screw into!

I don't think so, the hole isn't threaded and is on the other side of the oil filter as the knock sensor. If I read the repair manual correctly.

Edited by Psykore

The hole should have a plug in it, its where the non turbo motors put the dipstick.

The temp gauge unit is the two prong sensor that isn't oval on the end where the terminals were molded in, its just round. The temp gauge unit connector is not the one is the fat rubber end on it that is also oval in shape on the end. The sensor with the oval end is the CTS for the ECU and the plug is oval on the end too but both have the T arrangement for the connector

If your fans do not work, check their operation by pulling the wire off the sensor and just ground it out, that will activate the relay and the fan should come on as long as the key is on. If not then the fan motor, or the relay (very unlikely) is bad. If the fan does run but it still doesn't come on when you drive the car then the sensor is bad. All the sensor does is close when it gets hot enough.

The hole should have a plug in it, its where the non turbo motors put the dipstick.

Awesome, that makes perfect sense, thanks.

The temp gauge unit is the two prong sensor that isn't oval on the end where the terminals were molded in, its just round. The temp gauge unit connector is not the one is the fat rubber end on it that is also oval in shape on the end. The sensor with the oval end is the CTS for the ECU and the plug is oval on the end too but both have the T arrangement for the connector

So the one with the big rubber cover is for the CTS for the ECU?

If your fans do not work, check their operation by pulling the wire off the sensor and just ground it out, that will activate the relay and the fan should come on as long as the key is on. If not then the fan motor, or the relay (very unlikely) is bad. If the fan does run but it still doesn't come on when you drive the car then the sensor is bad. All the sensor does is close when it gets hot enough.

If I am reading this correctly the fans operate independently of the stock ECU?

So, assuming the rad. temp sensors work, I could just let them do their own thing? Or, if the SDS unit sends a ground signal (I believe it does, don't have the diagram handy) I could use the SDS fan control wire to run the main fan and let the secondary run off of the stock temp. sensor?

Edited by Psykore

The ECU does not cont control the fans. If you've got it all hooked up , turn the key on, pull the connector from each sensor, use a straightened paper clip to ground them one at a time. The respective fan should kick on.