possible rod knock

makskylan

I have rebuilt my motor over the past year and a few weeks ago I finallly drove it on the street. I got to work and noticed I had 0 psi on my oil gauge. I noticed a knock also. I drove it home about I miles, only way to get it there. I installed a mechanical gauge the next day and I have 80 plus psi on start up and about 60 psi when warm. The knock is not noticable at idle, only when reved up. I haven't drove it since. Any suggestions? The only thing I didn't do is resize my rods on the rebuild and I think that came back to bite me in the a**.....thanks

for one fix the oil pressure sender , as to the noise , imposible for some one NOT hearing it to say,,but it's posible it's the fly wheel thats come loose and not a rod brg

I know I need to replace the sender. I installed the mech gauge just to prove out the sender and gauge. I will check the flywheel bolts.

What was the reason for the original engine failing? When you have a problem like spinning a bearing or a rod knocking, it'll oval out the big end of the connecting rod, and just as you assume, will come back and bite you in the tail at one point or another. With that being said, I've seen instances where people skip this step, and their motor fails in 200 miles. I've also seen them skip that step, and it last 200k miles.

Did you reuse your original crank? If not, was the crank you are now using from an automatic car? There is a ring that must be removed or the flywheel will not seat correctly. IIRC, I've seen new cranks shipped with that ring installed.

I spun a bearing on the #1 cylinder. I bought a new rod for that one. I had tha crank turned .010 on the rods and .020 on the mains. I should of resized the rods.Live and learn I guess....

You'll have to let us know what you find out for sure.

My experience with rod knock could be heard at all RPM, but i've only heard it once and not on a G54B.

Sure it isn't top end noise you are hearing? Get a stethoscope and pin-point it.