who made our LSD

87chrycon

This may be a little off topic, so if it needs to be moved feel free mods.......as the description says I am trying to figure out who made the rear LSD, what the gearing is and how much torque this can handle. Clutch LSD or Viscous LSD?? I am in the process of installing an LSD into my Datsun Z and was wondering if these are comparable to the Nissan R200 with 3.70 gearing and clutch LSD that can be found in later 87-89 300ZX turbo.....due to the fact that I have one (conquest LSD) laying in my garage......maybe I'll just tear this apart and find out what is inside..... Edited by 87chrycon

Several web sites have a PDF version of the factory service manual; you'll find the details of the LSD in one chapter. www.starquestgarage.com had them, a Montero 4x4 site has 'em as well.

It's a spring-disk type of LSD, not a viscous coupling like the center diff of many AWD cars.

The half-shafts (to the wheels) varied in size & spline count over the years. The main ring & pinion though are similar for all years (I believe). All US StarQuests (intercooled or not, 5-speed or auto tranny, etc.) were 3.545:1 final drive ratios. Gears from some Mitsu trucks, Monteros, and their ChryCo twins will fit/work; many folks have swapped the 3.90:1 gearsets from the trucks, especially for auto tranny StarQuests - it really wakes them up.

I have absolutely no idea how they compare to Datsun/Nissan diffs.

Quite a few folks use stock StarQuest diffs in drag racers, pounding 600HP into them. You do the math to convert that to torque assuming some tranny gearing. Suffice to say, they're darn strong. Driveshaft u-joints and stock StarQuest transmissions tend to be the weak links. Half-shafts tend to be pretty good unless you get wheel hop - that causes extreme "jerk" loads (same physics as an impact gun) which will snap half-shafts easily.

mike c.

This may be a little off topic, so if it needs to be moved feel free mods.......as the description says I am trying to figure out who made the rear LSD, what the gearing is and how much torque this can handle. Clutch LSD or Viscous LSD?? I am in the process of installing an LSD into my Datsun Z and was wondering if these are comparable to the Nissan R200 with 3.70 gearing and clutch LSD that can be found in later 87-89 300ZX turbo.....due to the fact that I have one (conquest LSD) laying in my garage......maybe I'll just tear this apart and find out what is inside.....

starquest lsd is stronger than r200 in my opinion. you should open them both up and take pics and let us know what you find that would be cool

starquest lsd is stronger than r200 in my opinion. you should open them both up and take pics and let us know what you find that would be cool

glad to see someone else is into something Datsun on here. I will tear these down (both diffs) as I am going to be adding an OBX LSD (way cheaper than Quaife) to my R200 in the next month or so. I will try to get some pics and will also measure the components of the Starquest and see if it would ever fit in a Datsun.....

Mods, thanks for moving this......

Interesting. I'd like to see how similar [or different] they actually are.

I've had planned for a while now on building and selling custom rear subframes that use S13 suspension components, axles, hubs, and R200 diffs [due to parts availability and aftermarket options] and still bolts to the stock locations of the OEM subframe.

starquest lsd is stronger than r200 in my opinion

dunno about that.

Quickest street starquest ran welded diff at track rather than repeatedly breaking old stock units. Track weight close to a S13. 10.4 ET, 1.48 sixty ft.

Several quick street S13s run R200s straight from Q45s or J30s. Inexpensive with various ratios. Axles were the only upgrade I know of on some 8 & 9sec monsters.

Should be lotsa datsun Z diff options detailed online

dunno about that.

Quickest street starquest ran welded diff at track rather than repeatedly breaking old stock units. Track weight close to a S13. 10.4 ET, 1.48 sixty ft.

Several quick street S13s run R200s straight from Q45s or J30s. Inexpensive with various ratios. Axles were the only upgrade I know of on some 8 & 9sec monsters.

Should be lotsa datsun Z diff options detailed online

Yes, there are tons of different options for installing LSD into the original z cars. The Q-45 option is very durable but to get that into a 240z is not a task for the faint of heart and will cost at least $750 unless you want to wait for the "best deal" on every part you would need. Especially after you figure out what all you need and the different miss/matching of parts. I will probably just order an OBX LSD and install it into the R200 due to the fact that it is pretty straight forward and has been done many, many times with favorable results.......should be able to do this for under $600-$700 and be able to select my final drive ratio as well for that price.

I did not want to turn this into a Datsun thread either but I appreciate the feedback......just trying to see if anyone has compared the starquest (LSD) rear to a datsun/nissan unit and which they might consider stronger or "beefier". Thanks for the input and keep it coming if there are any more out there that know the starquest LSD or the Datsun/Nissan......

Edited by 87chrycon

An exploded view of the diff:

1. Axle housing 2. Axle shafts 3. Axle seals

4. Axle bearings 5. Carrier 6. Differential case

7. Side bearings 8. Gear kit 9. Washers

10. Shaft 11. Clutch disc 12. Ring & pinion

13. Pinion bearings 14. Pinion spacer 15. Pinion seal

http://www.partswebsite.com/stores/images/parts/F705090.gif

http://www.partswebsite.com/courtesymitsub...p;image=F705090

Even though the 88/89's had the 6 bolt half shafts, the actual clutch discs are the same as the earlier 4 bolts 85-87. I believe the 83's and 84's had smaller LSDs, the aussie Starions used the smaller diff over a longer period of years, while the US got the larger version in 85.

-Robert

You will find some pictures of the inside of the Mitsubish built Starion and truck rears hear.

http://www.starquestclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=81527

to bad you couldn't find a Gleason-Torsen lsd for a r200 that would be the way to go. but they dont make them for the r200 any more