Road race/drift LS1 swap

Convette

Little update, Ben killing myself lately. Fuel cell cage is almost ready to weld in, both fenders are cut ready to weld, both rear over fenders are ready for primer. Still need to get the other tires mounted, but you get the idea. Also the front digital work is pretty much done.

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w239/johnboy9788/IMAG1926_zpsl17tgnpv.jpg

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w239/johnboy9788/IMAG1969_zpsntwc5n0j.jpg

Edited by Convette

John i really have no words my friend....

your commitment is unbelieable and trust me when i saw your scetch/photoshop/cad whatever that was....it was like actually seeing my dreams for my car on paper!!Only different color lol..

Why did you cut your front fenders?Aren't you going for the first idea with the wide widebody-like fenders or it's something temporary just to fit the wheel and move around?

that's a good trade off. same weight more traction!

Thats the way I see it!

John i really have no words my friend....

your commitment is unbelieable and trust me when i saw your scetch/photoshop/cad whatever that was....it was like actually seeing my dreams for my car on paper!!Only different color lol..

Why did you cut your front fenders?Aren't you going for the first idea with the wide widebody-like fenders or it's something temporary just to fit the wheel and move around?

Haha thanks man. Its been a LONG time coming, too many sketches, not enough doing. until now. lol I had to cut the fronts because the new ones are going to bolt on over these. I could have finished the all metal ones that I started a long time ago, but I wanted them to match the rears, similar "bolt on" style.. So I decided to make them this way... We'll see how this goes, everything can be changed later.

What's your aero plan (if you have one) for the new sheetmetal?

This is an inspiring build, and one of the reasons I need to get back in the game. I want to turn one of these into a proper classic GT car.

I wonder if these flares would fit flatty body panels, hmm

Looking awesome John

They won't unfortunately, no way to make them universal. But I will be getting a flatty in the future, and will be makingsomething special for them.

That looks great! Are you going to do any smoothing on the inner fenders in a attempt to help extract any trapped air out the back of the fender?

yes, after this race I'm going to repaint the car, and will be removing the lower area of the stock body work. It's really open as it is, air should have no problem getting out.

What's your aero plan (if you have one) for the new sheetmetal?

This is an inspiring build, and one of the reasons I need to get back in the game. I want to turn one of these into a proper classic GT car.

Thanks man. As far as aero, it's going to be what it is. Both fronts and rears aregoing to be open ended allowing air to escape from the wells. These wheels will definitely ventalate far better than the old ones, and should improve braking. With the old has tank ot of the way I now have room for a proper diffuser. I'm toying with the idea of turning the exhaust down to blow on a wing under the car... Still have some designing to do there.

Radical!

Bet you had to step back and take a deep breath before firing up the cut-off wheel this time.

Good pace you're setting too. You'll have this done in plenty of time for the next USCA event.

• Like 1

Radical!

Bet you had to step back and take a deep breath before firing up the cut-off wheel this time.

Good pace you're setting too. You'll have this done in plenty of time for the next USCA event.

Haha, yeah dude. She's all too familiar with be hacked up..lol I'm hustlin. The days just seem to be flying by though.

Edited by Convette

Run your exhaust through the rear openings of the fenders to detach the wake from the car. Then your diffuser will have nice clean airflow to give you some extra downforce.

more sweet progress, can't wait to see the final result!

You and me both!

Run your exhaust through the rear openings of the fenders to detach the wake from the car. Then your diffuser will have nice clean airflow to give you some extra downforce.

Not enough room for that. For now its going straight out under the fuel cell.

nice work.

I still wish I could weld.

Thanks dude.. When I started this build I couldn't weld for a damn. Time and practice. lol I still dont own a welder. haha

GO JOHNNY GO GO GO........great work man.

Isn't the temperature from the exhaust going to affect the fuel cell and boil the gas?

Edited by EVOMINUS

Its not going to help, so I built aluminum heat shields, and wrapped the bottom one in aerospace gold foil. $$ but the stuff is no joke. I will be keeping and eye on the temps. The exhaust doesnt get near the temps of a turbo car, especially with no mufflers : )

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w239/johnboy9788/IMAG2009_1_zpstx62v2yu.jpg