3.90s into non-lsd

yes but you don't realy want to,, the real problem is the side gear shaft,, one wheel burn outs cause the shaft to stick to the gear and then spin the shaft , the spider gears seat at each end of the shaft , when one wheel only spins the gears roate arround them selves doubleing the one wheel rpms ,,once it spins the loc pin breaks and the shaft can then slide in and out of the carrier,, once it slides out far enought it can lock up the entire rear and i mean lock it up doing 60 or 2 mph

now this is not a maybe,, you do one wheel burn outs and it's a sure thing

I ran 1st gear out a little this morning on my way to work in my one legged '83. Snatched 2nd hard to spin the tire for a good 15 feet! Just the one! Engine is stock with stock 4.5 PSI non IC boost and gutted exhaust, that's it!

I think up to an '87 TSi rear posi carrier will work? '88 & '89 had different splines.

You definitely want to slap the carrier in too. No sense going through all that trouble to swap gears without the carrier pack too.

In AU the last model car (JD) came with factory 3.909 open diff with LSD option. This was still used with the 4 bolt drive shafts

Yes, I think the lighter weight helps a lot. The 4 bolt shafts in the flatties are plenty strong for the weight.