Smokin Throttle

Titanium02

Hey guys. I've got a serious issue goin' on with my car that I can't seem to figure out. My car just suddenly decided it didn't want to start, so I started tracking down what it might be. The car was clicking, but not turning over and then I noticed a puff of smoke from under the dash. I looked everywhere trying to find it, and ended up finding a burnt trace on the back of the gauge cluster. I replaced that and looked for any other problems and found 1 more burnt wire under the hood. Its a ground wire that goes from the intake and grounds beside the battery tray. I followed that wire and found a small fray on a front left turn signal wire so I thought that was the initial problem. So I've fixed all of that and still no go. Still getting a small puff of smoke. After looking under the hood for quite some time I found its coming from the throttle cable. Its coming from under hood and going through the throttle cable inside the car. There are absolutely no wires touching it and I can't find anything around it thats hot, but the cable itself is definitely getting hot. Any ideas?

PS Sorry for the long post.

Almost sounds like the throttle cable is being used as a ground.

Get new ground wires to the block from the chassis, and ground the intake manifold to the chassis as well, then from the point where you grounded the block to the chassis, run another wire up to the battery negative.

Almost sounds like the throttle cable is being used as a ground.

Get new ground wires to the block from the chassis, and ground the intake manifold to the chassis as well, then from the point where you grounded the block to the chassis, run another wire up to the battery negative.

Thanks Tech, I'll try that. I just thought it was odd that its getting hot and smoking, but can't find anything else around it thats even warm. There are no wires touching it, so its really weird.

Thanks Tech, I'll try that. I just thought it was odd that its getting hot and smoking, but can't find anything else around it thats even warm. There are no wires touching it, so its really weird.

Put a meter on that thar cable and see what it says. Nice car BTW

:driving:

Edited by ernielist