mopar 318 swap with 2 teaser pics

flatblack87

ok everyone sorry i havent been on for a while my internet has been off, and i would have liked to of taken some pics off my swap but the motor and trans is already in, its a .40 over 318 and a 904 trans, (wanted a lower 1st gear) and 3800 stall, i will get some pics of the motor and trans in the car, if any of you want a motor and trans description let me know, i have had the car sitting in my garage for a while now, because i have been trying to finish some schooling so i havent been workin, and the build was on hold due to money, the only thing im waiting on now would be a set of block hugger headers, and my bullets (mufflers) i havent tried to fire the motor just yet because i dont have any exhaust on it what so ever and i put a 508 lift crane cam in this car so i want to fire the engine and start the break in right off, because i had an issue with my last cam break in and a paid a lot of money for the new cam and lifter kit :lightingzapA: Edited by flatblack87

ok everyone sorry i havent been on for a while my internet has been off, and i would have liked to of taken some pics off my swap but the motor and trans is already in, its a .40 over 318 and a 904 trans, (wanted a lower 1st gear) and 3800 stall, i will get some pics of the motor and trans in the car, if any of you want a motor and trans description let me know, i have had the car sitting in my garage for a while now, because i have been trying to finish some schooling so i havent been workin, and the build was on hold due to money, the only thing im waiting on now would be a set of block hugger headers, and my bullets (mufflers) i havent tried to fire the motor just yet because i dont have any exhaust on it what so ever and i put a 508 lift crane cam in this car so i want to fire the engine and start the break in right off, because i had an issue with my last cam break in and a paid a lot of money for the new cam and lifter kit :lightingzapA:

thats cool , but umm.. I have the original bibles for mopar here , and it says the 318 was a truck engine .... wouldn't a 340 have bin better ?

edit : spelling

I am just am asking because, I ran a 318 by some people and they shot down my idea. So I am excited to know what your set up does for you.

^^ cool beans on getting it done.

Edited by silkdagger05

no no no they used the 318 in all kinds of old mopars, mine actually came out of a 69 4 door valiant, it was a non smog engine, and had a cast crank in it but i done away will all of that and went to a steel eagle crank, and am using 340 rods, i actually do have a 340 but it needs a bit of machine work due to some cracking, i wanted the 318 for the fact that its not common to see a mopar engine swap in a conquest and if you do, not a 318, and the motor was untouched, it had never had and interal problems, and it had 63k original miles on it, the car was just rolled up a couple times and sat in my neighbors yard for as long as i could remember, my dad told me the people were the second owner of the car. i did go through the whole engine, its all been balanced, and it only ran for maybe 30 mins after it was built before wearing lobes off the new purple shaft cam so it sat on its stand for about 2 years then i decided to dump some money into it, its going to be a sweet machine i think, i have a tunnel on hold for it which i will probably pick up soon, im trading a 75 shortbed dodge for it, it was my intake to beging with but when it went to the machine shop for some planing it was theirs for a while, long story... but he made me a deal to get it back so i think it will be cool to put the tunnel ram on it with two 4-barrel demon carbs and a bug catcher scoop :)

That is awesome. And if I do a swap, which, if this 2.6 goes, it aint going back in, I would do a Mopar swap, because, though not full blooded, they are partially mopar...lol

And yea Silkdagger, they put the 318 in everything. My Barracuda has one in it, as well as my dads old truck. It was a good, reliable motor.

My only thing about all of this is, why a 318?

a 340 is obviously big money, but, what about a 360?

Bigger and more power potential then a 340, takes up the same amount of space as a 318, and are a dime a dozen, just like a 318.

Thats the swap Id do personally, but non the less, yours is awesome. I want to see pictures...lots of pictures...lol

Should've thrown some low compression pistons in her, and added a hairdryer, or two :hmm3grin2orange:

ok her are some teaser photos of the engine without the tunnelram http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk206/c...ll/DSCI0003.jpg http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk206/c...ll/DSCI0005.jpg nothing special yet but it will be Edited by flatblack87

Looking good.

318's were pretty good engines and I've read some articles where have gotten very respectable HP out of them.

Get rid of that vacuum secondary POS carb. You need a nice 650 or 700 double pumper on there.

I'm interested on how you handle the header issues.

Please post up when you get it done.

Looking good.

318's were pretty good engines and I've read some articles where have gotten very respectable HP out of them.

Get rid of that vacuum secondary POS carb. You need a nice 650 or 700 double pumper on there.

I'm interested on how you handle the header issues.

Please post up when you get it done.

oh dont worry i didnt plan to keep the carb, it was just on there for mock up, as you can see, its not even bolted on in the photos, and im planning on running a tunnel ram with two 4 barrel carbs, i have a set of 450cfm holley carbs with manual secondarys, i am also considering one demon instead but havent decided yet, but i think the two holleys would be pretty sick lookin stickin up out of the hood about 14inches

oh dont worry i didnt plan to keep the carb, it was just on there for mock up, as you can see, its not even bolted on in the photos, and im planning on running a tunnel ram with two 4 barrel carbs, i have a set of 450cfm holley carbs with manual secondarys, i am also considering one demon instead but havent decided yet, but i think the two holleys would be pretty sick lookin stickin up out of the hood about 14inches

A tunnel ram would look cool, but would limit drivablity if the weather was questionable.

I am definitely interested on how you handle the headers.

no no no they used the 318 in all kinds of old mopars, mine actually came out of a 69 4 door valiant, it was a non smog engine, and had a cast crank in it but i done away will all of that and went to a steel eagle crank, and am using 340 rods, i actually do have a 340 but it needs a bit of machine work due to some cracking, i wanted the 318 for the fact that its not common to see a mopar engine swap in a conquest and if you do, not a 318, and the motor was untouched, it had never had and interal problems, and it had 63k original miles on it, the car was just rolled up a couple times and sat in my neighbors yard for as long as i could remember, my dad told me the people were the second owner of the car. i did go through the whole engine, its all been balanced, and it only ran for maybe 30 mins after it was built before wearing lobes off the new purple shaft cam so it sat on its stand for about 2 years then i decided to dump some money into it, its going to be a sweet machine i think, i have a tunnel on hold for it which i will probably pick up soon, im trading a 75 shortbed dodge for it, it was my intake to beging with but when it went to the machine shop for some planing it was theirs for a while, long story... but he made me a deal to get it back so i think it will be cool to put the tunnel ram on it with two 4-barrel demon carbs and a bug catcher scoop :)

that sounds like one bad a** nightmare for hondas in the making.

I would love to do that to my quest ....:)

that sounds like one bad a** nightmare for hondas in the making.

I would love to do that to my quest ....:)

its comming soon too, my step dad owes me some dough and ill have its in the first week of january so will get some vid off the car runnin, not sure how long it will be befor ei get the tunnel ram though, i have to find a trailer to pull the truck for trade, and its a bit of a stretch to take it

its comming soon too, my step dad owes me some dough and ill have its in the first week of january so will get some vid off the car runnin, not sure how long it will be befor ei get the tunnel ram though, i have to find a trailer to pull the truck for trade, and its a bit of a stretch to take it

I would help you if you where in my area.

lol +1 on the dad owning me money for the first possibly going to finish the tie rods and center link. My car should just need a few touch up's and for me to install a nicer set of speakers and deck. maybe a custom gauge cluster. then shes done for a while if I keep her Ill eventually get all the tools needed and do a swap or ill get my cougar running. and will shop for a new conquest.

I had a 318 in my 73 charger. The 318 has gobs of torque....smoked the tires at will. All I had was a lumpy cam and a holley 650 double pumper. Now put that in a quest that weighs a 3rd of a charger it will be an ANIMAL...If I were to do this I'd get a 5spd somehow in there.

well i have an uncle with a 4 speed out of a 71 dart, and i have tried to get him to come off of it a few times but no such luck yet, as soon as the car is done he may reconsider, but with what i have now it should be pretty nasty, with a 3800 stall and the b&m manual valve body, one more question, how much exactly does a starquest weight average?

well i have an uncle with a 4 speed out of a 71 dart, and i have tried to get him to come off of it a few times but no such luck yet, as soon as the car is done he may reconsider, but with what i have now it should be pretty nasty, with a 3800 stall and the b&m manual valve body, one more question, how much exactly does a starquest weight average?

I ran out side and picked mine up it felt like 2954lbs to me

I had a 318 in my 73 charger. The 318 has gobs of torque....smoked the tires at will. All I had was a lumpy cam and a holley 650 double pumper. Now put that in a quest that weighs a 3rd of a charger it will be an ANIMAL...If I were to do this I'd get a 5spd somehow in there.

just to throw it out there...curb weight on a 72 charger was about 3200 pounds...lol

you've got me really interested in doing something like this now...hmm

Edited by strang3majik

im super excited to do the test drive :D :sunglasses:

Please let me know how she goes, I loved my 318. I forgot to mention my Charger had 210k on the motor when I put the cam and carb on it. I was a kid when I did it, but I figured compression was good why not.....

thanks for the compliments and now the starter has great clerance, only issue really is exhaust clearance, but im just using some block hugger headers, which may need a bit of modding but it shouldnt be to tough, ill get some more pics of if for all of you that are intrested in this build, like day light pictures, i was just ready to get some pics up and those first two are kinda tacky.