has anyone done a V-8 conversion on this site?

yes ,  it has been done ,,  i have an 89 quest that i put a 408  cubc inch stroker small block mopar in, yes mopar no CHEVY OR FORD stuff,  with a 904 auto tranny,,, it is nice ,   you cant even tell .. it looks to be original and as if it was supposed to be in there, not butchered,,  I had 1 -3/4 headers built for it. it will fry the tires like you wouldnt believe.  3rd gear even!  email me if you would like more info on this, i could send some pics also tntcpd@webtv.net    

• 2 weeks later...
nope no 440- no room for headers and it is longer than a small block, its bad enough getting a radiator in front of the support with a small block in it, the water pump is almost to the front of where the original radiator set. you wouldnt be able to use the steering box or the brake booster + the weight of the 440 would just be to much for it, besides a small block is more than enough for these cars.  i know that the 351 w is wider than my small block mopar and mines a snug fit.  it would definatly be a tube frame chassis setup.

what about a camaro ls1 engine . do you think this might fit. i have my 2.6 out and i am very skaptical about putting it back. i am a v8 guy and love the naturaly aspirated method with the ocational 350 shot of nos.  ;D so if you have pictures of the set up and what motor mount config you guys did i would love the advice. i am all about simplicity when it comes to power. 8)

I don't know about this, but I can get a 239 c.i. v-6 general motors engine with a 5 speed tranny for free from two 1979 buick skyhawks. Don't really know if I should do it because I don't know how much power a stock quest gets at the wheels. Anyone know? A stock 74' sky hawk gets 105 horses at the rear. and has a top speed of 106 mph. but then again the car weighs almost 5000 lbs! Giant hunk of steel. I know that they got a hell of a lot of torque for that sized engine. with free mods it get about 275 foot pounds. so they say. ??? But the question is what will the performance be like? There is also a super charger kit for it on a forum ( 3.8 liter GM v-6) that the owner wants 250 bucks for. Supposed to give me an extra 75-100 horses. ??? If anyone can help me let me know at       freeballingguy@aol.com     ;D

• 2 weeks later...

instead of a v8 I was thinking about dropping in a 4.3 v6.there is a lot of aftermarket for 4.3's and

would fit much better then a v8 of any make(shorter and more compact)

the idea of a twin turbo v6 with mpi and a huge intercooler up front is a interesting one.

4.3 vortec v6,twin 16g turbos,big intercooler.

gotta have turbos

The whole thing that people are TRULY interested in is price. Now, If you got a big wallet, sure, go for it. Drop a vortec in there. See what you can do. But that fact of the matter is that a 350 chevy four bolt main is cheap but not cheaply built, and can be picked up anywhere; right along with performance parts. It's all in the wallet. Ya know? And personally, I like the mitsubishi 2.6 liter, Why put whats from here, in what's from there? -Colt

well I was at the track yesterday and a guy asked me if I knew the guy that races there.... I said no he said ya he has a sweet Blue TSI with a 440 in it So i guess if there is a will there is a WAY!!!!! it was my frist time the take track and about the last WAY to many cars for my likes.

yes, i am doing a swap with an lt1.  i am about 3500 bucks in, and the motor isn't even set yet.

ls1 will not work.  heres why.  we have a front sump pan, ls1 has rear sump.  with the lt1 it is easy to make a front sump pan.  they are made from sheatmetal.  cut and weld.  but the ls1 has an aluminum cast rear sump oil pan.  you can't just cut and weld.  the oil pan is integral to the structure of the block.  give it up.  you might be able to do it, but i wouldn't want to pay someone to mod that oil pan.

even with the lt1, i need a front sump oil pan, custom headers, and modded crosmember.  there used to be a guy in here who would sell you all this stuff, but i believe he has gone to business heaven.  as a matter of fact, if anyone can get in touch with STEVE VINCENT from newport news va, please email me, or tell him to email me, he still has a lot of my stuff.

go the easy way, and do it yourself.  i say i am 3500 bucks in, but to be honest, i am out a grand because of the afformentioned dead business.  i should have jsut done the work myself to start off with, but my dad was like "we can send the moeny off and have all the stuff back in 3 weeks"  hahahaahahahahaha, try five months, then dead tele number.

anywhoo......

if you are really interested in putting in a REAL motor, instead of a slopar, or muff-stain motor, then email me.  i can tell you almost exaclty what you will nee to do to get it running.  it ain't easy, it ain't cheap, but what i'll end up with is c.300rwhp, that is rock solid reliable.

someone asked about h.p. output.  stock was 185 at the flywheel.  i have a friend here in austin who dropped in a 4.3 with monster blower.  honestly, for the money you spend on a 4.3, just buy a 350, more potential, parts are cheaper.

p.s. if conquest351 is who i think it is, i am closer to being done than he is.  right, brian?  three years, is that muff-stain wannabe ready yet?  i wanna race you when you get done so hurry the hell up!!!!!

want cheap just by that junk chevy crap its a dime a dozen,  then inbreed it with the conquest, thats at least somewhat mopar. then when that chevy scatters rods all over go and get another disposable one and put it in, and far as horsepower my 408 will smoke your ls1 or t1 or whatever that is for less $$$$$$  ,,,,,where do you live im ready to race now,,,bring that chevy on!!!!!  400 rear wheel horse,, 350 chevy hahhahahah  that would mean youd have to have around 500 horse at the engine,, must not be much of a streetable motor?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For the last 4 months i have been installing an all aluminium LS1 V8 & T56 6 spd into my 86 TSI.  The engine and tranny are from a 99 Firebird. $4500 with computer and harness.  305 RWP stock. Add headers, cam, a big air filter, reprogram the computer and it will be almost 400 RWP.  I used an oil pan from the Australian Holden SS wich is a front sump pan and it clears almost everything. It looks like it was made for the TSI. No mods to the steering and only a little notch in the front crossmember. As for weight. The best i can figure is that the LS1 is about 70# lighter than the 2.6 and all the stuff it takes to support it. The 6 spd weighs about twice what the stock 5 spd does so it should be an evan swap. The only chassis mods were enlarging the trans tunnel and notching  the frame rails about 3/4" for the radiator. I hope to have it on the road in the next month. The exhaust, plumbing and wiring are all that are left.

Other stuff i'm using:

Full set of Auto Meter ultra light gauges

Corvette motor mounts

Wilwood clutch cylinder

Howe racing aluminium radiator  

B&M ripper shifter

97-98 Corvette fuel pump

97-98 Corvette fuel rail (allows use of stock TSI fuel lines)

Lokar throttle cable

I also have a Dana 44 center section out of a Dodge Viper to be intalled over the winter.  

dammit, i never thought bout looking at the holdens for an oil pan.  just counter jockeys at chevy saying, "naaawww".  oh, well.

400 horse 350 not streetable???? you've got to be kidding.  oh, wait, now that i think about it, for some reason here in austin, texas, we have a HUGE amount of REALLY fast cars.  so maybe you don't see as many as i do.  i can probably point out ten or eleven 450+ hp f-bodies this saturday night.  i'm not kidding.  they're all over the place.  it makes racing around here really kinda frustrating.  we have two or three or the fastest supras in the nation running around too.  on got sold on ebay a month or two back (detuned) for 72 grand.  

i figure i need at least 400 rwhp to keep up with 80% of the crowd around here.  i might have to throw a 100 shot on top of that.  dunno, we'll have to see when we get there.  competition around here is REAL TOUGH.  i think conquest351 can back me up on that.  

of course, right now i am just bench racing.  like i said, i haven't even got my motor mounted yet.  i have jsut about all the parts, some little stuff i stil need.  but i'm about 85% there.  just need to figure out how to mount the sbc in there.  the mounts on the 350 are like 6 inches in front of where they need to be, and the steering box is in the way of the number 7 header tube.  i don't really want to pay for custom headers again, but i will have to.

Oh so you wanna run in the V-8 Quest shoot-out?  We can do this.  My motor is 436hp and 408 tq.  I do believe I'll have you covered.  He he.  And if I don't I'll have a little backup just incase.  Yeah he's right about the amount of power here in the ATX.  800-1,000 hp streetcars are not really that uncommon.  There are at least 5 Supra's here that have in excess of 800rwhp.  There are 9 second street cars all over the place.  There is a Syclone here that is in the 10's easy.  San Antonio and Houston have a lot of Mustangs that are turbocharged running 9's also.  And you guys thought I was crazy for wanting to twin turbo the 351 in my Quest.  The simple fact is, In Austin, you can't play with the big dawgs unless you're in the 10's or less.  I want to be top dawg.  There's a T-Type here that's a little over 800rwhp.  THere's a Nova here that's completely streetable running mid-high 9's.  SW's Supra's, Vette's, and Ferrari's are all in the low 12's and under.  SW's the one who sold his Supra for $72,000 (I thought it went for a lot more than that though).  Lotta rich car guys here and they flaunt it in their high powered monsters.  We're not crazy, we're just keeping up with the Jones's.

must be a lot of rich boys down there to afford all them high dollar parts . speed costs money how fast do you wanna go? you got a 9second street car ? that is not really streetable at all, sounds more like a drag car with headlights, sure its legal with lights, plates horn and all but its not something youd take on a trip out of town. my conquest makes right at 450 horse and it will and has gone out of town making 15 mpg on 89 octane pump gas running 9.5 compression.  i had a streetable 70 cuda that ran mid tens but was not somthing youd take out of town for a long drive. most of these cars are built to go out on the weekends and race on the streets and thats about it..  how many guys drive these to work everyday/?  a twelve second street car is really pretty fast for the street,, way more than enough to get in trouble   I bet johnny law really loves you guys down there in texas  

Thats all i'm looking for. A daily driver that will go mid to low 12's with a stock running engine and look good doing it with the full leather interior, air and 27 mpg. If thats not fast enough all i need  is a ZO6 Corvette cam, heads & intake. All stock GM parts that will add almost 100 hp and still get 25 mpg.  This thing is going to be driven 80 mi. round trip almost every day 7 or 8 months a year.

There is a lot more to going fast than just HP.  Every 2# is worth 1 HP. There is also this magical force called weight transfer that is going to be hard to find with 450# of iron over the front wheels.

we'll do it when i get running.  don't be so sure you got me yet.  i never said it would be stock.  and the longer it takes, the more unstock it is gonna get.  like i said, really i would like 400 rwhp n/a.  which is very possible.  when i can save the money i was thinking about one of those vortech superchargers.  that would be sweet.

it looks like it might take me four years too.  nothin but problems.  wish i could get my grand back from that dude.  now we are playing around with the crossmemeber, an thinking about either cutting a chunk from the crossmember and reinforcing, or just getting the oil pan redone.  not sure yet.  right now i'm kinda leaning toward notching the front of the crossmember like an inch or inch and a half, then weld up the hole i just made.  the 4l60e tranny is just a tiny bit too big.  i men like 1/4 inch or something.  it just doesn't want to let the motor sit where it needs to without hitting the tranny tunnel.

crap, nothin but trouble.