loud cllunking noise

ZZMAN

first off i have a 89 quest its lowered really low thats how i got it i am gonna raise it up a bit .i am new to the quests so my question is i had been driving my car all day wed. no problems.i get almost home and going across a real bumpy three lanes and went to get into the throttle a little and heard a clunking or banging sound almost like the driveshaft was hitting the botom of the car so i got outta the gas and it quieted up. pulled over to look at it nothing jumps out at me so i go to drive it again seems fine shifted to second and gradually sped up and the it banged again does anybody have a clue as to what happened i was think the rear axle may have pulled out or broken and when to much pressure is applied it makes the thing move and seperate or something kinda weird the rear tires are leaning because it has non adjustable camber pltes just lowering springs that wer cut on top of already being a dropped spring .i think raising it up is a start and then checking the axles in the rear end and wheels side to see if thats whats up thanks for any help

maybe your exhaust hitting?

The rear differential sits on two rubber mounts, its weight keeps it there and when you are under FORWARD load that forces the differential downward pushing down on those mounts. When you do bad things like jack the car up by mistake under the differential and not the crossmember or DOWNSHIFT that reverses the load and forces the differential to move upward stretching those mounts. Don't downshift this car if you want to stop that is what brakes are for. If you want to slow down ok but I see people trying to slow down from 70mph and put the car into 2nd to hear the motor rev up that is dumb. If you have a torn mount you can have a noise like that, it may pull an axle out and surely will if both are bad. You didn't say who lowered it if is was you or you got it this way so you may already know where they are. It might also just be a sloppy torque tube. Does it make this noise if you back up, say up into a driveway over a curb or a hill? Backing up like that will let you know a mount is torn cause the differential will hop up on the torn side then flop back down and that is one heavy unit. If its the torque tube it will do it every time you load and unload the driveshaft and the speed or gear will not matter and you will have a clunk each time to load changes. If an axle is out you may be leaking gear oil just look where they go into the differential there should be no gap.

maybe your exhaust hitting?

not the exhaust for sure only does it if you put a little tomuch power to it if i ease it around it makes no noise at all.the torquetube was replaced.one axle had broken and was changed prior to me buying the car i do not know who lowered the car but no adjustable plates front or rear and it sits low real low and the back tires are leaned in at the top so i kinda think an axle might be the problem weird though

The rear differential sits on two rubber mounts, its weight keeps it there and when you are under FORWARD load that forces the differential downward pushing down on those mounts. When you do bad things like jack the car up by mistake under the differential and not the crossmember or DOWNSHIFT that reverses the load and forces the differential to move upward stretching those mounts. Don't downshift this car if you want to stop that is what brakes are for. If you want to slow down ok but I see people trying to slow down from 70mph and put the car into 2nd to hear the motor rev up that is dumb. If you have a torn mount you can have a noise like that, it may pull an axle out and surely will if both are bad. You didn't say who lowered it if is was you or you got it this way so you may already know where they are. It might also just be a sloppy torque tube. Does it make this noise if you back up, say up into a driveway over a curb or a hill? Backing up like that will let you know a mount is torn cause the differential will hop up on the torn side then flop back down and that is one heavy unit. If its the torque tube it will do it every time you load and unload the driveshaft and the speed or gear will not matter and you will have a clunk each time to load changes. If an axle is out you may be leaking gear oil just look where they go into the differential there should be no gap.

You mentioned you were going over a bumpy road and the car was lowered. Check for suspention travel. Mine is lowered almost 2 inches with coilovers. I noticed the suspension only had 2-3" of travel left before they would bottom out. You may be going over those bumps and bottoming out the suspension which would make a clunking sound. Also raise the rear of your vehicle and try to wiggle your tires side to side. If they move at all you may have a bad bushing or even worse bad bearings. One of my cars made a clunk in the rear and I found out I had bad rear wheel bearings. They aren't easy to change. Whatever it is you need to stop driving it until you fix the problem. If anything breaks back there it can cause major damage or a crash.

You mentioned you were going over a bumpy road and the car was lowered. Check for suspention travel. Mine is lowered almost 2 inches with coilovers. I noticed the suspension only had 2-3" of travel left before they would bottom out. You may be going over those bumps and bottoming out the suspension which would make a clunking sound. Also raise the rear of your vehicle and try to wiggle your tires side to side. If they move at all you may have a bad bushing or even worse bad bearings. One of my cars made a clunk in the rear and I found out I had bad rear wheel bearings. They aren't easy to change. Whatever it is you need to stop driving it until you fix the problem. If anything breaks back there it can cause major damage or a crash.

i am not driving it at all i think an axle popped or is about to break all the way

i am not driving it at all i think an axle popped or is about to break all the way

i dont hear it unless i try to get on the car a little otherwise its quiet i am raisingit back up then see whats up its super low now the airdams off the front if i put it on less than two inches of clearance not good i haven`t had time to check it out hopefully this weekend