Okay sooo....

jahjah

Okay... So Racism=bad right?

So lets take note of a couple things here. my newspaper this morning had "HISTORICAL MOMENT! FIRST BLACK PRESIDENT"

Okay, so yeah, as far as civil rights goes... its great to see that our country can elect a black man to the white house.

But how come when someone mentions how the black people in the military voted by race you get scolded and called a racist? or when someone mentions the City buses that went to certain northern cities in black communities and picked up homeless people, gave them a meal, and then took them all to register and vote... you get called a racist? And ofcourse the Crazy white people that wanted to go on a black people killing spree. thats messed up

I feel that when you wear a political shirt you should be able to take question from someone who wants to know why you feel so proud. So i ask and I've actualy had multiple people tell me "i'm voting cause hes gonna be the first black president and thats awsome that we can get him in there" To clarify, by "we" they meant "all of us black people". So right there. division.

i guess what i'm getting at is, why is it okay for us to talk about how amazing of a civil rights achievement it is to have a black president but yet we can't discuss how race could of been an issue in this election? people immediately jump in with stereotypes and the discussion gets out of hand.

And as an aside since i know ppl are going to come after me. No. I'm not racist. i think people can be dumb or arrogant regardless of race. as the saying goes. I hate all people equally. yes i voted mccain, but i feel that if Obama really tries to achieve what he talked about then he may succeed. He is still just 1/3 of our government. Hes not a dictator.

thoughts? opinions? is the feeling i get from my local off from the rest of the nation?

i understand exactly what youre saying, and I'm not racist at all either. What I've seen though, is people on the news saying they voted for Obama becuase he was representing the black race. And while thats great and I understand that they must feel awesome right now due to this great bump we've overcame, however, thats no reason to cast a vote. Its what he is going to do and the policies he has that should be the real reason.

I have a few friends that say they or their parents voted for the same reason, and honestly, him being president doesnt bother me, but the fact that that is why quite a few people voted for him, does, and keep in mind, not all of them are black, so this isn't a racist thing. It just shows how many Americans take no time to research, and understand why one is better than the other to them. Instead, its all appearance. Hell, even the fact that people say McCain was to old was bull, if he was too old, he wouldn't have been in the election. Its their plans that matter.

Honestly, I don't care who won...because I still didn't like either, and I left to a "let the better man win" and apparently that was Obama, and truly, I hope he does all he claims he can do. However, people still must understand, he is majority a figurehead. Everything he wants done has to pass through congress before it can be done, so, as you said jahjah, hes not a dictator.

and I hope this didn't come off wrong, it wasnt supposed to.

Edited by strang3majik

This was supposed to be the biggest % of americans to actually cast a vote in MANY years. But it i'm disappointed in anyone who voted for civil rights, racial or whatever you wanna call it reasons.

I think me and strangemilk are on the same page when i say.... I'm not saying Obama doesnt deserve his win.

Edited by jahjah

I've said it in other threads and I'll say it again.

If you voted for Obama because of his skin color, that was a racist act.

If you voted against Obama because of his skin color, that was a racist act.

I would be willing to bet that there was about an equal amount of both.

I know that my in-laws were among them.

I can't wait until the media finally stops referring to him as a black president.

People are putting way to much thought into trying to dissect who voted for who and why. We only had two choices. Old or new, Rep or Dem, Black or White, left handed or right handed. Who cares! Are you really suprised that one of those two got more votes? The only reason to do that, is to play the blame game and figure out who to channel your anger at, and your not going find any one group. So lets just move on.

I have nothing to say about who voted for who or why....

this is what i was asking...

i guess what i'm getting at is, why is it okay for us to talk about how amazing of a civil rights achievement it is to have a black president but yet we can't discuss how race could of been an issue in this election? people immediately jump in with stereotypes and the discussion gets out of hand.

we've already gotten off topic lol why is it okay to discuss the good, but not okay to discuss the bad?

Edited by jahjah

Depends on your interpretation of "discuss" (?).

I don't know but there is long and slow progress on things that really matter - things that progress in the minds of people.

I need to look but my GF believes that the black vote was in line with every other election pretty much. A crapload more people voted which is incredible. But the mix may not have been any different.

No he couldn't have been elected without the black vote. No democrat can or has been since the civil tights movement was advanced. Duh.

It is an achievement, although personally I feel it shouldnt have been an achievement for the achievement's sake. Therefore, it's great that we have our first black President in our nation's history, but it should have happened because he deserves to be President on the basis of things other than "we want a first black President."

If you accept that paragraph, then I think you could reconcile your two seemingly paradoxical prepositions. Yes, it's a great civil achievement; no, race should not have been an issue.

Practically speaking, that's likely a rather Upotian wish and considering how many million votes were cast, there were undoubtedly people who actually voted for him based on race. I'm not sure it is healthy to focus on those votes, however, as they are likely relatively small (my guess) and don't deserve to be a focus of attention more than the other, more legitimate reasons, for voting for a world leader. The good side of discussing it might be that it will help illuminate people about the degree race/monumental first desires played in their vote, which they can then decide to repeat or not in the future should a similar occasion arise for them.

Does that make sense?

Okay... So Racism=bad right?

So lets take note of a couple things here. my newspaper this morning had "HISTORICAL MOMENT! FIRST BLACK PRESIDENT"

When I hear Obama referred to as "black" president, it just kinda indicates how far we have to go before race is not an issue. Not saying anything about your (jahjah) comments, just a general statement.

But how come when someone mentions how the black people in the military voted by race you get scolded and called a racist? or when someone mentions the City buses that went to certain northern cities in black communities and picked up homeless people, gave them a meal, and then took them all to register and vote... you get called a racist? And ofcourse the Crazy white people that wanted to go on a black people killing spree. thats messed up

I don't know exactly how you get called a racist for mentioning that, but at the same time, it is just politicians taking as much advantage of the population as possible.

I feel that when you wear a political shirt you should be able to take question from someone who wants to know why you feel so proud. So i ask and I've actualy had multiple people tell me "i'm voting cause hes gonna be the first black president and thats awsome that we can get him in there" To clarify, by "we" they meant "all of us black people". So right there. division.

Of course race could have been a major part of the decision for some people, just like there are probably a whole s-load of people who voted for McCain/Palin because they're part of some crazy religion (no offense). I don't believe that people in general are intelligient enough to make a decision based on the facts, not the people or what religion they belong to, or even abortion rights (how long ago was Roe v. Wade?). So of course people are going to make a decision based on something silly like race.

And speaking of racism, I think at the point when we can have a president with a different skin tone and not be concerned about him being assassinated because of the color of his skin, we will no longer have to have these conversations. Those comments have opened my eyes about some people, and just how racist they are.... (again comments not directed at you - just based off of the general topic roughly)

dc

It's all about perception. Actuly all of racism is but that's another topic. Anyways to your post. The reason is because it's seen as + he was elected and it's seen as - or people attacking it or trying to change or appose it if you talk about the other side.

When I hear Obama referred to as "black" president, it just kinda indicates how far we have to go before race is not an issue

this is exactly how i felt when i picked up my newspaper. I just couldnt put it into these words the other night :)