Extended Spoiler- FINAL PROTO PICS UP...

j-hanson

-yeah the hatch was a bit out, and i have adjusted it, and had to also adjust the side pieces accordingly..

-as far as the shipping goes- that was a ballpark guess. after i looked into it more the 55 would have been too low with packaging materials, and i dont think that should need to come out of my pocket..

-as far as payments go, heres my .02: ive taken lots of orders over the past year on custom made parts.. each time ive offered a deposit, and that is basically only covering the cost of the mold materials(and barely at that). problem is ive had almost a 70% backout rate when parts are nearing completion stage, and when that happens, ive still given guys GB prices even though lots changed their mind and no longer am i dealing with a "group", but rather a handful.. this makes a huge difference on the price i get materials for, and if i pay more for materials, then i SHOULD be jacking up prices on the parts to relect the smaller number of people involved.. because if materials cost more, then i dont make anything on labor when i look at how much time i actually spend on the stuff is.. i dont think most members understand how much time and money actually goes into custom parts, and when people make commitments on custom parts, ive taken it in "good faith".. but when i start a GB with 15 and end up with 4... its actually costing me lots of money. at this point im not gonna keep dumping my money into parts just so everyone can get a smoking deal on parts for their cars while im paying for it.. its business.. if i loose money every time i do a GB for custom parts, then i makes no sense for me to keep doing it. im not trying to make a killing off these, but i think that if im doing the molds, and making the parts i should be compensated some for that- right?

-this is a case of pay for it then i make it.. it hasnt worked doing it the other way. i honestly tried doing it a different way(multiple times), and it didnt work. ive said it before... i love SQs... and am willing to offer my skills and services so that YOU members can get some new parts on the market at what i think believe are very fair prices considering other companies havent/wont do stuff for our cars, or going to a local shop and having something custom made for yourself..

-ive called around the country and asked custom shops about their policies and rates... what ive found is min 10 orders. money up front for 1st one and mold. then 10 prepaid orders on following parts.. and what ive been told is 3-4k for 1st part and a mold, then each following will be done at shop labor rate plus materials at retail rates. most shops charge between 65-95/hr... so if a part takes 5 hours of mold prep, layup, trim, and finish plus materials youre looking at 450-700 pretty easy.. plus splitting the price of the 1st and mold with the group..

-id love someone to go to a custom shop and ask em what they would charge to build a 1 off 3piece glass spoiler.. just for comparison sake... anyone???

-i dont mean to come across as a d***, thats not my intention, so i do apologize for my tone. i do feel bad about coming across this way, as i do wish i could just pull molds of every part of the car and make custom parts and get em all done 100% finished and show everyone 1st.. its just realistic though..

josh

Ok, I see your side now and I have to agree with you...........

My only issue is the backend of the spoiler, it's too much of a sharp wedge and doesn't go with the lines of the car.

A more rounded (at the edge) backend would look better, I think.

Let's have all the other interested parties come out and comment on the shape. :confused0024:

I'm still interested (regardless of the higher final price)

Zack

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I spoke with Josh yesterday, a GREAT guy, who really wants to help us. He looks like he does excellent work, a real fabricator/craftsman. He said he was going to try and finish up the spoiler a bit more - "clean it up" - was his term, and he would post a new GP thread with new instructions. These would be fair for him (important, a seller should not have to sit with material extra material if someone decides to back out after placing the order) and real buyers (important, as we want to be sure upfront that we see what we are buying and leaving a deposit for). I don't think he can make every "would be buyer" want to order this round of builds, as some like it as is, some like it another way, and others will like it a bit higher, lower or whatever. However his current build finishes it is what will be available. Bottom line, I'm stocked to get this thing, as it would be nice to remove my wiper/antenna, clean up the back-end a bit and get a bit more aggressive look on the car. Zack, during my discussion with Josh it seems the three of us are on the same page, cause he did say he was going to clean up the edge a bit, we'll see, either way I'm ready to go with this thing. By the sound of it we'll be VERY close to 6 people as well, we'll see.

Thanks for sticking with it Josh.

Dean

• 5 years later...