3 wire o2,what wire is what?

dart67

I just put a new tep down pipe on my car and dont know what wire is what with the 3 wire o2.can any one help or ill wait till monday and call tep, there web site not working on the instructions page.

That's best. Different sensors have different color codes. I could tell you how I hooked mine up, but the colors are most likely different.

CALIBER 308

MOST 3-wire O2 sensors will have two wires with the same color... those are the heater wires. Ground one, connect the other to a source of "switched" +12volts. Many folks tap into the blue wire at the windshield wiper motor; it's HOT with the key in ON or ACC... so the heater will operate if you like to listen to the radio while parked. Do NOT tap into the +12volts at the ignition coil; that's just asking for trouble down the road if the O2 sensor goes bad - you don't want to ground out the ignition system and disablel the car!

The oddball colored wire is the actual sensor output; connect it to the inner conductor of the shielded wire feeding the factory O2 sensor. Leave the braided shield disconnected; it's grounded at the other (ECU) end of the harness.

How to know if the like-colored wires really are the heater? Get an ohmmeter and measure the resistance between them. It'll be fairly low - under 100 ohms usually... and neither wire will show any connection to the body of the sensor. The O2 sensor "signal" wire will have far far higher resistance to any other wire and to the sensor body. It'll measure out almost as a totally disconnected wire.

mike c.