NEXT!!!! AVG slowing things down

vbrad511

Anybody had this lately? I'm setting up a computer for a friend, settled through the HD clone issues, but I'm finding that when I DL AVG 8.0 it slows the system down something fierce. It's an older Dell8100 Dimension, 1.4g, 256mb, and 160g HD. Suggestions?

Don't say that, lol. I really don't want to spend any $$$ on this, I have to take it to her tomorrow, and she's broke anyway. This is just a box of electronic stuff I had laying around. I did uninstall and reinstall it earlier and it seems to be running a bit better.

8.0 is much slower then the old program i got 2 gig of 667 on a 3.0 and it places a hell of a load on th e cpu when it's doing a full scan , but it seems to stop a good bit of stuff so i live with it,, the one big complain i got is the updates seems they do it daily so if you load it with windows start up,, it'l update right after it loads this slows down the use of windows untill after it's done

haven't actualy found a seting for it to run in the back ground yet

It's slowing the computer down probably because it's scanning EVERY file in real time. You can speed it up by just setting it to scan the programs/exectuables and DLL's.

... if AVG has realtime scanning that is. I forgot, I switched a long time ago after AVG let a virus that dominated my computer slip by.

Just a simple virus program is not enough these days. You need an active firewall, antispam, antispyware... a complete internet security package.

Check with your internet service provider, most offer FREE complete internet security packages. Comcast offers McAfee, which is 100000's of times faster than Norton.

-Robert

Thanks for all the tips. I just packed it up, and set it up, and it's running ok now. I disab;ed the Norton program on it ( I keep it handy for the utilities it has), stopped a couple of other things, and it seems to be just fine. Still being picked on by AVG a bit, but I can live with it, and it's 10 times faster than the old P2 she had.

• 2 weeks later...