Keeps blowing wastegate gaskets ...

psu_Crash

Hello All!

So i am having a problem with blowing the gasket to my external wastegate. I modded my stock exhaust manifold as shown below, to connect and elbow to an external wastegate. Right where the elbow connects to the manifold I keep blowing the gasket out. Given there isn't really a lot of surface area that get clamped on the front and back side of the flange. Think a solid metal gasket like the one on the turbo would solve this problem? It happened both times while running about 7psi boost so it's not like I am really beating on it. Maybe I should be using better bolts to hold it in ... but they weren't loose.

http://img57.imageshack.us/img57/835/manifoldweldedtc7.th.jpg

The wastegate only has to bolts holding in on so I just assumed that would be enough to seal it up tight. I will check for any warping though to make sure. Kind of a PITA to see under there and really tell for sure if it's straight. Looks like i might be forced to take off the manifold .... again

Guest Kenmarrow
I think if you get a metal gasket in there it will help, or as Indiana says make a tri layer.. and use some of the exhaust High temp gasket maker rtv, its orange in color.. stuff will help seal it but will make any gaskets non reuseable, but most of the time you cannot reuse them anyway..best of luck Ken

Thanks for the replies guys. I am getting a solid gasket with the "fire ring" and I have been sealing everything up with copper gasket sealant that is specifically made for exhaust and turbo gaskets. God i hope that does the trick. Really annoying to have it running great and sound like crap and not pass inspection because of it.