2nd to 3rd gear grind... syncro rebuild????

gwadd85

so if a 1989 conquest tsi grinds from 2nd to 3rd gear, im guessing that the syncros need replaced, right?? could it be something simpler, like the clutch needs replaced or adjusted? if it is the syncros, where can i get a transmission rebuild kit, how much would it be, and about how much would it cost at a transmission shop to repair?

thanks,

Graham

so if a 1989 conquest tsi grinds from 2nd to 3rd gear, im guessing that the syncros need replaced, right?? could it be something simpler, like the clutch needs replaced or adjusted? if it is the syncros, where can i get a transmission rebuild kit, how much would it be, and about how much would it cost at a transmission shop to repair?

thanks,

Graham

to go to a tranny shop is about 1100 here. lol to install a new tranny is 450 lol here. (same problems) its syncros. a syncro mesh kit from i believe autopartstrain or some thing like it ( i googled its ) was 124.99 .

if you can do it your self its 125 or so lol . plus what ever other parts you may need. hope i helped a little . tony ~also i baby shift mine at 2k and third does fine . anything under or over while moving and it grinds.

3'd gear is on the connection for the input and the out put shaft,,a badly worn input shaft brg will cause the input shaft to come out of alignment this causes the connection to move out of alignment due to the thrust create'd from the gear messing

think of the shafts as a straight line with a connection in the middle,, with a bad suport brg the line will bow in the middle,, and in the middle is where 3'd gear syncro sets , this also places excessive pressure on the connection neddle brgs causeing them to wear makeing more problems,, 1st, 2'd ,3'd and 4th all use the same scynro collars

the fix is replace the frt input shaft brg, and maybe the connecting collar brg cage and posibly the 3'd scynro ring , andmake sure the clutch is fully releaseing

MikeC has a write up on replaceing the frt brg in the FAQ