no boost!!

turboaddict

so i finally had confidence enough to register the starion and actually use it. i made it through a 1/2 tank of gas before i had an issue. ive got no boost anymore !!! the cold side spins free, but seems to only move under its own power by the suction of the engine. do the stock turbos have a small shaft that might of snapped? im only concerned becouse i have to drive it right now until the head comes back for the talon and i dont want it to spit out the shaft and start leaving me with a smoke trail!!

thanks in advance!

yes the turbo spins free, yes the actuator arm is attached and wastegate arm is in the closed position. as for taking it apart i simply cannot do that right now. i need a car to drive and this is all that still moves under its own power.

What direction is the waste gate arm pointing? If it is point straight up then it is closed, like it should be. Maybe the waste gate actuator is set up wrong, like the screw on the arm is turned out too far.

I have never heard of a shaft snapping before.

You don't have a raging exhaust leak before the turbo do you?

How do you know it is not boosting anymore? You have an after market boost gauge?

Maybe one of the hose clamps is loose, on boost it leaks air out but on suction it doesn't let air in. Or a hose has sprung a leak?

Just throwing out ideas.

Yes the shaft can break, with my experience it spewed oil as soon as it broke. if you are talking about the turbo spinning freely meaning the shaft, nut and wheel then its suppose to, but in order to tell if you have a broken shaft or not its take apart time. Does it run any different ? like a boost leak would do ? blown intake gasket or Tb gasket.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v282/shoquest/turboblues.jpg

okay to clarify i know the turbo is supposed to spin freely and it does, wastegate is closed. i have an aftermarket boost gauge so i know there is no boost.the car produces no boost at all not 1 p.s.i. the car runs and drives fine just slow since theres not any boost. the car had good boost (10 p.s.i.) and then there wasnt boost. ive checked all the piping short of using the smoke machine. I guess i can try dropping the downpipe and check the exhuast side of things. anything else it could be ? Edited by turboaddict

It's almost impossible to NOT produce any boost. Even a wide-open wastegate valve should produce a little boost.

What I'd guess:

1: the turbo shaft has busted. You can remove the downpipe (pre-cat converter) and use a mirror to eyeball the turbine wheel. See if it spins when you spin the compressor wheel.

2: the wastegate flapper door (a disk of metal about the size of a quarter) has broken off the pivot/arm assembly. So even though the arm is rotated towards the front of the car the wastegate itself is wide open. You can eyeball that via the cover plate on the backside of the turbo - use a mirror again.

3: one of the hoses between the turbo and engine, or the intercooler, has a leak or is loose. More than one person has missed a loose connection when scanning by eye - the natural stiffness of the hoses makes them sit in their proper positions... but boost pressure pushes the joints open.

Be carefull of "14" series turbos. Many are set up for the Eclipse/Laser/Talon and are not quite bolt-ons for a StarQuest. the turbo name (e.g. "TD05-12a") specifies the wheel sizes and some of the exhaust housing details but NOTHING about the compressor housing nor the bolt patterns. Mostly the turbo name specifies the "center cartridge" which is fairly car-independent but the housings are very car dependent. There was a factory -14b upgrade for StarQuests from the dealers but I don't know if you can find those turbos these days. Usually folks buy a new turbo or have their turbos rebuilt - and upgraded - by local or Internet turbo shops.

mike c.