older mitsu's or something cool....

Mech

i found out that here, they are trying to phase out cars that are 20 years or older. And that it might be law at some point in the near future, that you can't drive 20 + year old cars on the road. Although "classic" cars would be exempted from this. how old the car has to be, and how to get the exemption....i haven't a clue.

So anyways, right now i don't have a project car to work on, and its driving me nuts.

I'm wondering if there are any cool older mitsu's or japanese cars that would look sweet with a turbo G54b stuffed in them. I dont know all that much about older cars, but i think i have seen pics of some cool looking 60's, 70's jap cars....although i dont recall the make or models.

So lets see some info, pics and opinions!

the late 70s toyota corrola would be a very good condidate for a G54b.. ive got a friend that stuck a carbed G54b in with lots of spray and running 11s on stock motor mainly because the car is so light..

he switched it over to the TBI and dropped the turbo size but kept the nitrous and was still running 11s!!!!.

cars are just so damn light! :D

first time i had ever heard of this car! i like the way it looks though...

1971 Mazda rx-3 Savanna

http://www.hyts.hu/autok/mazda/rx-3/mazda_rx-3_r7.jpg

starlets are bad, they move with the 58 hp stock! wonder what the mitsu powered one dose!

my buddy just sold a starlet that he bought for 400 bucks, cleand it up and painted it and sold it for 6500

I think we may have a winner!

74 toyota celica GT

the only thing is, is that i dont know if i like the front grill area.

Whats not to love??

http://users.chariot.net.au/~stmezz/simon16.jpg

^^ hmmm...yea, i guess it aight.....prolly would grow on me. the rest of the car is dead sexy.

i wonder how many are left that havent died of cancer or been crushed. and what do you think the odds are of finding one???

do you know what the differences between the years are? im gonna find out anyways....

This would fall under the "or something cool"category...

http://www.motorimania.net/manifestazioni/sportive/images_opel/b_opel_manta_11.jpg

http://www.motorimania.net/manifestazioni/sportive/images_opel/b_opel_manta_12.jpg

http://www.motorimania.net/manifestazioni/sportive/images_opel/b_opel_manta_13.jpg

German built Opel Manta

You dont see many around these days, a relative of mine used to have one and loved it.

Im sure you could fit a G54b in there

^^ oOoOoOoh it does look cool. Lots of newer opels driving around here. didn't even think about it. thanxs for sharing

edit:

hey racer, do you know what year the opel is?

Edited by Mech

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/37/96194199_e75d557b6d.jpg

This is sweet(and I was born in 73, it all makes sense). I know what Im getting when I win the powerball :thumbsup:

How hard are these to find and what do they go for? And you thought parts for the starion were hard to get...

Edited by 89PalermoSHP

^^ welp, if you wanted to find an old american muscle car to restore, you would being pay aloooooot more im sure. Even just for a rusted ol bare car.

So far, i like the opel manta the best. Actually, i think it looks damn sexy. Suprisingly, i found alot of enthusiast website's for the opel. And im betting that parts wouldn't be as difficult to find as you would think. Obviously more expensive and harder to find than starion parts for sure.

Plus, i could find an opel to restore in Europe too! :happy0030:

As far as the mitsu GTO goes, well, there has to be parts out there. Its not like trying to restore a 1930's pre-war classic mercedes, were you have to search the entire planet for years to find parts. Even then not being able to find some stuff and having to make it.

Edited by Mech

That opel would have to be a 71-73 model because the 74-75 models came with fat aluminum bumpers instead of those thin sexy chrome units, although im sure you could swap the chrome units on the later models.

They sold a crap load of those cars in the us & europe, so finding parts shouldnt be too hard.

Theres a few really nice examples on cardomain also.

This one in finland has a straight six swapped in it, so theres no reason a G54B wouldnt fit.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/733186

Also I forgot to mention, the hood opens backwards on those cars.

My friend had two of those old Celicas.. he sold 'em both because parts were pretty hard to come by. They were nice cars, looked like tiny Japanese Muscle cars.

That opel would have to be a 71-73 model because the 74-75 models came with fat aluminum bumpers instead of those thin sexy chrome units, although im sure you could swap the chrome units on the later models.

They sold a crap load of those cars in the us & europe, so finding parts shouldnt be too hard.

Theres a few really nice examples on cardomain also.

This one in finland has a straight six swapped in it, so theres no reason a G54B wouldnt fit.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/733186

Also I forgot to mention, the hood opens backwards on those cars.

nice. I talked to a friend of mine here, and he says for sure i can find one if i look around enough :happy0030:

yea, i want one just like in the pic. Its probably a73. sexy bumpers and the front spoiler. I think it would look better with different rims and a bit lower though.

I can't believe you don't like the Celica front end!?! I thought they looked cool, kinda reminds me of the Starion Rally front end. And the hood opens up the other way, it's cool until it falls on you while bending over the engine after a gust of wind comes by.

This was my very first car, 14 years old, I didn't even have a license when I bought it but we terrorized the neighborhood with that car!

http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Flats/8009/cel_yel1.JPG

That is a ST but I think the GT front end looks better, it has chrome bumpers. And the 20R motor is a great motor. Hell of a car, we couldn't kill that thing, we constantly beat the hell out of it, jumped it a dozen times.

But if you have these available over there I would definitely consider it. But I've heard to stay away from the 18R motors, if there is even any of those left. I can only imagine a 2JZ in one of these. I think I will soon try to get another one of those cars.

-GCNTSi.

^^ is that an actual photo of you in your car burning out?

see the pic of the one you posted has a different front end than the one i posted. I suppose becuase yours lacks the bumper like you mentioned.

Its the way the bumper continues upward to connect with the front turn signal/running lamps on the black one, that im not sure that i like. It some pics it looks ok, in others, it looks odd.

I love the way the black celica looks from the rear, i have zero complaints.

I'm betting the opel is much easier to find here. I will probably have to ship a donor starquest here at some point. I would like to transer over as much from the starion, to whatever older car i choose. Engine, tranny....maybe suspension depending upon how difficult it will be.

Obviously im thinking way far ahead here, because it will probably be at least 6 months before i can even think about buying an opel, or what i ever i decide upon. But i like to day dream about having a project to work on.

^^ is that an actual photo of you in your car burning out?

see the pic of the one you posted has a different front end than the one i posted. I suppose becuase yours lacks the bumper like you mentioned.

Its the way the bumper continues upward to connect with the front turn signal/running lamps on the black one, that im not sure that i like. It some pics it looks ok, in others, it looks odd

Not me, I just found that one on the internet, but mine was sane color but GT. And the GT's (I believe) all had the better looking straight bumper front end.

So you think you will ship your Star and take the drivetrain and put it into something else? Then what with the car? You might be better off having just your motor/tranny shipped over on a pallet. Plus their customs might try to seize/hold your Star.

-GCNTSi.

yea, i dont know what the laws state as far shipping a car here.

Anyways, im bored, and i want something work on. Just day dreaming at this point, but at some i think it will happen.