86 long block in 88?

I have a line on a supposedly "built" long block out of an 86 TSi. I heard there might be some differences between the 86 and 88 engines. Is this true and if so will the 86 engine work in my 88 TSi? Thanks for the help.

That valve difference is in the 83 heads (Correct me if im wrong) . Also the 86 had a smaller diameter clutch/flywheel. SO if the motor is 'out' go ahead and see if you can get your mechanic to swap your 88 flywheel and clutch over also. Gives you about 10% more clutch contact area. Other than the Intake manifold (the 86 has different injectors, different sensors (mildly different) and a diffeent ISC setup) you will be golden.

Oh. 86 Is intercooled right? cause the non IC cars the turbo is clocked differently.

That valve difference is in the 83 heads (Correct me if im wrong) . Also the 86 had a smaller diameter clutch/flywheel. SO if the motor is 'out' go ahead and see if you can get your mechanic to swap your 88 flywheel and clutch over also. Gives you about 10% more clutch contact area. Other than the Intake manifold (the 86 has different injectors, different sensors (mildly different) and a diffeent ISC setup) you will be golden.

Oh. 86 Is intercooled right? cause the non IC cars the turbo is clocked differently.

Well, Im my own mechanic. I own a 7 bay shop ;) Anyway I have all the manifolds and everything from my 88 motor, everything will bolt right on correct? Im gonna call the guy monday and see what the deal is but the rumor I heard is that it has aftermarket pistons, rods and cam in it. Ill keep ya all updated. I might get the Quest running finally.

the valve train difference was solid vs hyd setup. im not sure when it was changed but i think 87-89 were hyd and 83-86 mechanical.

im assuming since you are talking about the block your not concerned with the turbo but yes the flattys had a different compressor housing.