A Dead Starquest Born Again and a Big Thank You !

Kwfrye

Hello All,

I have been lurking in shadows for awhile now and this is my first post, figured it was time I said howdy.

First, I want to say thanks to many great people who have made this site so invaluable, it sure has been a big help. Tons of great info and advice. I can see a lot of people put a lot into this - Thank You All !.

I have read hundreds of posts and feel like I know many of you. If you are interested here is my Quest story.

Back in ‘85 I was in my early twenties and while driving late one night through Oak Ridge Tennessee I saw my first Conquest sitting on a car hauler at a car lot. I nearly wrecked trying to pull over. My girlfriend at the time was not happy I left her abandoned in the car as I ran across a highway and a field to get to the car lot. I fell down on my knees beside a jet black Quest and swore I had to have one. Next business day no amount of begging or threats would get the dealership to sell me one, since I had no credit at the time and not much of a job. Fast forward three and half years and I had a good job, just got a promotion, had saved some money, and could get the car of my dreams.

A black 88. I had it nearly four years before it was murdered by an idiot who didn't know a red light means stop. By then I had a kid and lots of responsibilities so had to be practical about a replacement. I promised myself I would get another Conquest someday.

About a year ago while traveling some back roads in Georgia I spotted a car sitting derelict in a farm yard driveway. Something about it seemed familiar. It was when I went past that I realized it was a Conquest.

The memories of my favorite car came back to me and the promise I had forgotten about. A few miles later on I did a U-Turn. I went back and knocked on the door. It had been sitting there dead almost ten years. We made a deal on the spot.

I have it running but it needs lots of work, time is a luxury so it's been slow going. But when I get behind the wheel I have a grin you couldn't pry off with a crow bar. I kick myself for not getting one sooner.

I would love to meet you guys and hope to make to a meet sometime. I make a terrible mechanic but an old dog is trying to learn as I go. I have only seen a few other Starquests in the junkyard and think I would go nuts if I saw some of the rides you guys have. I have read about Pigeon Forge and can’t imagine seeing that many Starquests. I would like to meet some of you fellow Georgia boys too.

Thanks to all of you again and hope to meet you!

Ken Frye

welcome too the hobby/love called starquest

and now is a great time the biggest meet is in a week and half or so pf08 piegon forge tn we have over 60 ppl signed up

Hello All,

I have been lurking in shadows for awhile now and this is my first post, figured it was time I said howdy.

First, I want to say thanks to many great people who have made this site so invaluable, it sure has been a big help. Tons of great info and advice. I can see a lot of people put a lot into this - Thank You All !.

I have read hundreds of posts and feel like I know many of you. If you are interested here is my Quest story.

Back in ‘85 I was in my early twenties and while driving late one night through Oak Ridge Tennessee I saw my first Conquest sitting on a car hauler at a car lot. I nearly wrecked trying to pull over. My girlfriend at the time was not happy I left her abandoned in the car as I ran across a highway and a field to get to the car lot. I fell down on my knees beside a jet black Quest and swore I had to have one. Next business day no amount of begging or threats would get the dealership to sell me one, since I had no credit at the time and not much of a job. Fast forward three and half years and I had a good job, just got a promotion, had saved some money, and could get the car of my dreams.

A black 88. I had it nearly four years before it was murdered by an idiot who didn't know a red light means stop. By then I had a kid and lots of responsibilities so had to be practical about a replacement. I promised myself I would get another Conquest someday.

About a year ago while traveling some back roads in Georgia I spotted a car sitting derelict in a farm yard driveway. Something about it seemed familiar. It was when I went past that I realized it was a Conquest.

The memories of my favorite car came back to me and the promise I had forgotten about. A few miles later on I did a U-Turn. I went back and knocked on the door. It had been sitting there dead almost ten years. We made a deal on the spot.

I have it running but it needs lots of work, time is a luxury so it's been slow going. But when I get behind the wheel I have a grin you couldn't pry off with a crow bar. I kick myself for not getting one sooner.

I would love to meet you guys and hope to make to a meet sometime. I make a terrible mechanic but an old dog is trying to learn as I go. I have only seen a few other Starquests in the junkyard and think I would go nuts if I saw some of the rides you guys have. I have read about Pigeon Forge and can’t imagine seeing that many Starquests. I would like to meet some of you fellow Georgia boys too.

Thanks to all of you again and hope to meet you!

Ken Frye

Welcome! and show us pics of your ride.

Welcome welcome welcome!

As for meeting fellow GA members, I'm trying to organize monthly meets. So far 2 for 2, and hopefully July we will have one as well ( outside of Pigeon Forge )

Welcome. Ya the GA members have it together. They will get you squared away quick fast and in a hurry :)

Lucky you.....got maybe 10+ members within 50mile radious.

You are underestimating our numbers. I had 10 show up just at the Sonics, and thats within 15 miles of me :D Except for Jimmy, who surprised us all :lol:

Pics are a must!

Welcome to the club and the addiction! Sounds like your on the right track to restoring the car to a road worthy state. Your story was excellent btw, it's always nice to hear how these cars affected someone's life. This forum is more like a family and you won't find a better group of people anywhere else. :D

Welcome! and show us pics of your ride.

Thanks Guys, I appreciate the welcome!

Fanta- I look forward to the next Sonics meet.

Chuck641-Nice to know I have a neighbor so close. We definitely need to meet sometime and I appreciate the offer. I'll be needing help I'm sure.

Here are some pics of my ride, looks much better in the photos, needs lots of work.

I am hoping to make it to Pigeon Forge. So what goes on there? I only know you guys meet and hang out and I read something about a drive through the mountains.

Ken

post-11470-1214277318_thumb.jpg

post-11470-1214277014_thumb.jpg

post-11470-1214276991_thumb.jpg

post-11470-1214277303_thumb.jpg

post-11470-1214277096_thumb.jpg

Thats a clean red car! pure_insanity might be able to help you out with a rocker panel :lol:

As for PF - its really a big meet/get together of almost 60+ Starquest owners

As for Sonics, I'll keep you posted. It's nothing special, spectacular or anything of the sort. But its something at least.

Forgive a newbie is I ask a dumb question but has any one seen the Japanese movie " Drift SS" ?

BRIEF SUMMARY: A Middle aged retired rally driver name Daibutsu sets out to make his comeback by rebuilding his Mitsubishi Starion 4WD which he nicknamed Jackie. He then begins challenging people to illegal street races.

Ken

http://cgi.ebay.com/Japanese-Movie-Drama-D...Q2em118Q2el1247

welcome! you're in for a treat if you haven't seen many cars together. Pigeon Forge is the perfect opportunity to meet a whole lot of Starquesters and good people. Come on up for the weekend and you won't be disappointed.

Forgive a newbie is I ask a dumb question but has any one seen the Japanese movie " Drift SS" ?

BRIEF SUMMARY: A Middle aged retired rally driver name Daibutsu sets out to make his comeback by rebuilding his Mitsubishi Starion 4WD which he nicknamed Jackie. He then begins challenging people to illegal street races.

Ken

http://cgi.ebay.com/Japanese-Movie-Drama-D...Q2em118Q2el1247

I have it burned to a DVD - only no english subtitles. Good movie overall though! Not many of us have seen it, yet.