Intercooler Install

shift1313

My IC install on the '83 CBRII yielded very good results. However, I also put on a new 14G turbo. It boosts to 10PSI and hauls the mail no problem.

However, my '85 non-IC will act like it starves for fuel at times. It basically has a limit and I can tell if I add an intercooler, it wouldn't take it well until I fix whatever the fuel issue is. I think maybe the pump, or clogged filter. Its got a bad ring in one cylinder, so I'm parking it until I can get some other projects done. It still drives fine, but a little low on compression in one cylinder.

i have to check my fuel system but not long ago i pulled the in tank strainer and in line cone and cleaned them(or i should say they were clean when i pulled them). the fuel filter on the frame rail isnt very old. i just rebuilt the tb. CR numbers are good, i think they were 135 on all 4 with only a 1psi difference in two of them.

im thinking it was an issue with some of the IC pipes, maybe there is a leak after the turbo that i couldnt find and the car wasnt getting the air it thought. maybe its an issue with the air temp since its in the airbox on the 84, maybe thats why 86 has them in the ovc?

I took the car for a short drive up and down my road and it runs fine with the non IC comp housing and with the stock ovc pipe. Im only boosting 6psi but it pulled up to 6psi and stayed there as long as i kept in it. no sputtering, no bucking and no issues. Im going to have to pressure test the IC and maybe work on some hard pipes. Hopefully the issue was just the piping and a leak somewhere.

Where are you tapping the vac hose for the turbo wastegate - before or after the intercooler? On a non-intercooled car the port is physically on the turbo; on intercooled cars the port is after the intercooler. That way the pressure drop of all those hoses & the intercooler doesn't affect the boost pressure at the throttle body. If you are still using the turbo mounted port... you're getting about 2psi less boost at the throttle inlet. Tap the over-the-valve-cover pipe (like the factory does for intercooled cars) or just "T" into the port right at the throttle body inlet - the one that points towards the front of the car. It'll have the same signal/info.

The intercooler itself doesn't "add power." What it does is cool the boosted air a lot... turbos, when compressing the air, also heat it up a lot - that's simple physics in action. This hot/pressurized air will lead to knock/detonation if the boost pressure gets high enough. The intercooler though re-cools the pressurized air so the engine will have much less chance of knock/detonation... and thus you can crank the boost pressure up a couple psi to get more power that way. So the intercooler allows the engine to be tuned to make more horsepower... but it won't add horsepower by itself. Ya gotta install it and then adjust the rest of the system - in this cae, the boost pressure.

mike c.

Yes i understand all that mike. Even on the non ic setup i tapped in to the port entering the TB for my wastegate actuator. i have the ovc nipple capped and im using the one entering the Tb for the IC setup.

everything else works fine but the problem lies somewhere from the turbo to the tb. either the IC has a leak or one of the hoses does. I adjusted the boost on the 3 port wastegate i was running and tired a few different boost levels but no matter what the boost setting i was getting issues around 5-6psi.

Im going to pressure test the IC even though it didnt leak when i was cleaning it, i filled it up and let it sit but there may be a leak under pressure.

• 6 months later...

I have been very busy with other projects and havent had any time to mess with my car. Its in non IC trim right now(IC still on the car), but ive been thinking of selling it. If anyone is interested let me know. I know i havent been on the board very often but ill try to check back.

I have an IC housing, 3port waste gate, IC, all the lines(line around the airbox has a rip at the compressor housing and should be replaced), the brackets I made and the spacers i made to move the oil cooler back behind the hood latch support(all pictured in this post). The only thing i had to do was remove the bottom center air dam support(i think) and drill out the spot welds for the bottom of the coolant overflow. The current coolant overflow bracket is pretty flimsy but you can have that too. my car is a 5speed, dont know how it fits on autos. I cleaned the IC 3 times with MEK but i never had the thing running right on my car. I kept hitting the fuel cut and because of other issues with the care never pursued it. I used mostly factory parts, one of the IC lines was a hose i got from advance because the stock one wouldnt fit. I know this isnt the for sale forum but im not really trying to sell it, just thought if someone was looking to do this they could just grab it all from me(and this lovely instruction manual:)). $150+shipping

Did you ever pressure test the IC system? Sounds to me like it had a leak somewhere.

Tim, i never did pressure test it and since my motor has a knock i didnt drive it very long before i pulled it back off the road. It would still build boost and it would hit max boost for a second but then break up like it was hitting a fuel cut similar to what a few other members mentioned. Im not actively trying to sell the setup but offering it up if someone with a flatty was looking for one. I just figured it would be nice to buy everything in one shot. I do plan on pressure testing the IC at some point I just really havent had the time lately, ive been restoring another car and putting a lot of time trying to get it out the door so i can get back to my own projects again. I still have to finish breaking in my big rotors and id rather focus on suspension/drive train and bodywork rather than HP.

Edited by shift1313

I was just wondering because mine had a hose that would pop loose at 5 PSI and the car basically shut down every time I tried to boost. The hose would go back together by itself, so it was hard to spot without physically checking each joint to find the one that was blowing off.

I was just wondering because mine had a hose that would pop loose at 5 PSI and the car basically shut down every time I tried to boost. The hose would go back together by itself, so it was hard to spot without physically checking each joint to find the one that was blowing off.

had the same problem with my ovcp to tb coupler it got a small hole in it on the bottom where i couldn't see it and would open under boost and run like crap but once off boost the hole closed and the car ran fine.

i know the pipe that goes around the airbox and connects to the compressor housing is suspect because there is a small slit right at the clamp. im sure that wasnt helping. If i still have the ic setup when i get the new motor done ill replace that line and give it a shot. I was going to build a custom intake and megasquirt the car but id rather keep the velnas MPG feature working so until i figure that out i wont be touching the FI setup.

Cool! I'm really hoping your next build goes together to run great and be reliable for a long time! You and your car deserve it!

Yeah, I'd keep the stuff around for the IC. I think you will like it. The CBRII car loves it.

thanks tim. Last time i was just stupid when i built the motor and cut a few corners. Ive got a good block and rotating assembly and im slowly sourcing parts. im going to need a good head/cam for this new motor and thats the last big thing really.

I always planned on running alcohol injection and I cam across a good deal(or what i thought was a good deal) on the intercooler. I should have put my big brake money and intercooler/turbo money into the engine and i would be driving the car now:) live and learn

a bit off topic but this is what I have been building for the past year for my cousin. He is paying me to do it so i plan on spreading that money around to my projects:) oh and ive been turboing the bike in my sig:)

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj39/shift1313/Christians%20Truck/RedRim.jpg

Edited by shift1313

its actually a 71 tim, but i smoothed all the body lines out and deleted the rear marker lights(which would have given it away as a newer truck) and got rid of all the emblems on the thing.

here is the original picture

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj39/shift1313/Christians%20Truck/Christmas187.jpg

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj39/shift1313/Christians%20Truck/TruckGrill2.jpg

ive got hundreds of photos if you want to see

http://s268.photobucket.com/albums/jj39/sh...stians%20Truck/

paid:) I told him I would do it for free but he insists on paying me so who knows. He is family and im glad to do it so money is a mystery. He knows how much time I have in it and what it would cost for a shop to do it bu the whole idea was to save him money. There is already about id say 7k in the truck without rims/tires. Its just nice working on a project that when it needs something, it gets it. Instead of waiting around.

And hopefully one of these days ill get back on the big brake stuff for the 5 lug cars since i have a rim, 5 lug hubs, crown vic rotors etc all for mock up.