High Crank case pressure.

tkal

I have recently picked up an '87. I can turn a wrench just fine however my diagnostic skills are not as high.

When running there is a slight tick near number three exhaust valve. Doing a compression test dry all 4 cylinders test 130-135. When wet 1,2,4 go to 145-150 while 3 stays at 135. I have not done a leak down yet as I don't have a setup to do so. EGR has been eliminated.

The pressure in the case seems to of blown out my oil pan gasket. Oil and coolant both look ok.

My buddy believes that I have a bent valve and that is causing my pressure in the crank case.

A bent valve will not cause crankcase pressure...a leaking or broken piston ring will. A bent exhaust valve will just put pressure in the exhaust system..you'll smell the fuel in the exhaust. If severe enough, can backfire. The cat will be very hot...hotter than normal. Could even glow red. I've seen worn/ broken valve seats display the symptoms of a bent valve.

I would think high crankcase pressure would be more likely from a clogged vent line, filter or a non OEM PCV valve.

The "ticking" could be a worn cam lobe or lifter. If hydraulic lifter...could be clogged so no oil pressure gets in to "pump" it up. The rocker arms are mounted to a shaft...could have wear issues there that may cause the ticking.

Some issues can be checked with removing the valve cover, others will require head removal.

Good luck

a non oem or plugged up pcv valve and the lack of an oil separator can all cause excessive crankcase pressure

sealing the oil pan to the motor isn't hard but you can't have do it, the pan must be 100% clean and 100% flat, the block must be clean, the sealant run a bead along the center between each bolt then at each bolt hole just go around to the inside, you need to put the pan on with out a gasket and make sure there are no gaps and its almost certain that the flanges are bent and it being installed with a bent flange and poor sealant application have caused it to leak

I used to a can of the pressurized silicone recently it was easier to apply but costly, just get a tube

http://www.b2600turbo.com/88WB/IM003425.JPG