MSD Igintion

I Have search and search . for Any info on how to hook up a msd on our starquest I rermember the old site had a topic on it . and I cant Find it. does anyone have any info on how to hook it up . I have a 89 Conquest swap in a Corolla and I also Have a msd 6AL hanging aorund and would like to install it I understad you need some sort of box or Tach Adapter you gotta hook up in order for it to work . if anyone haas been succesful at doing on a stock ecu please help me out,.

I Have search and search . for Any info on how to hook up a msd on our starquest I rermember the old site had a topic on it . and I cant Find it. does anyone have any info on how to hook it up . I have a 89 Conquest swap in a Corolla and I also Have a msd 6AL hanging aorund and would like to install it I understad you need some sort of box or Tach Adapter you gotta hook up in order for it to work . if anyone haas been succesful at doing on a stock ecu please help me out,.

do you want to run the stock ignitor or not?

there are 3 ways to hook it up

1 - to run the stock ignitor with and 8910 tach adapter(haven't done this one)

2 - remove the stock ignitor and install a caravan igntion module in the distributor and use an 8910 tach adapter(done this way and still doing it)

3 - remove the stock ignitor use the green & violet magnetic pickup wires and use an 8920 tach adapter(used this setup before)

the faq section has wiring diagrams for all of them:

#1 & #3

http://www.starquestclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=58296

http://www.starquestclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=67795

do you want to run the stock ignitor or not?

there are 3 ways to hook it up

1 - to run the stock ignitor with and 8910 tach adapter(haven't done this one)

2 - remove the stock ignitor and install a caravan igntion module in the distributor and use an 8910 tach adapter(done this way and still doing it)

3 - remove the stock ignitor use the green & violet magnetic pickup wires and use an 8920 tach adapter(used this setup before)

the faq section has wiring diagrams for all of them:

#1 & #3

http://www.starquestclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=58296

http://www.starquestclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=67795

How did # 3 work ill Probarly go that way and thanks for the info

• 1 month later...

I would just like to share my personal experience with the MSD 6AL, if that is the one you are going to use. The Sunday morning of the Pigeon Forge meet a couple of weeks ago, I try to start my car and I get no spark. We determined that it must be the box that went bad. We went up to Advance Auto to get a new one and the guy tells us that he has customers that replace them every month. I noticed that when I opened the box to make sure everything was in there at the counter, a sticker is now placed on them that basically states that it's an experimental unit and should not be used off the track. I asked the guy about it and he says they started putting them on there because of the large numbers of returns and it is easier for the manufacturer to negate the warrantee. Basically a disclosure sticker protecting themselves.

BTW: I went out to start my car the following Thursday, no spark! I had to tow my car to the shop.

The good thing about them is that when it did start, my car ran smoother, made more power and had a rev limiter.

If I wasn't swapping to a different motor that didn't need one, I would carry a spare.

I would just like to share my personal experience with the MSD 6AL, if that is the one you are going to use. The Sunday morning of the Pigeon Forge meet a couple of weeks ago, I try to start my car and I get no spark. We determined that it must be the box that went bad. We went up to Advance Auto to get a new one and the guy tells us that he has customers that replace them every month. I noticed that when I opened the box to make sure everything was in there at the counter, a sticker is now placed on them that basically states that it's an experimental unit and should not be used off the track. I asked the guy about it and he says they started putting them on there because of the large numbers of returns and it is easier for the manufacturer to negate the warrantee. Basically a disclosure sticker protecting themselves.

BTW: I went out to start my car the following Thursday, no spark! I had to tow my car to the shop.

The good thing about them is that when it did start, my car ran smoother, made more power and had a rev limiter.

If I wasn't swapping to a different motor that didn't need one, I would carry a spare.

Did you do any welding on the car? Indiana mentioned that as an MSD killer for many...supposed to disconnect it before doing any welding on the vehicle or it'll fry it. I've got the MSD 6al wired up and working in mine using the stock (MSD Blaster II) coil, and a stanard Mallory ignitor. Not sure how the wiring all goes since it was the Tainters who ended up getting it to work (after some legwork figuring it out however). The 8910 tach adapter is needed for me. The prob. was I have different colored wires on this one than what the online manual states. =P

Have yet to use the rev. limiter until tuned right. Might go 2 step eventually. I'd look at the wiring and post picks, but the car's at the shop until we figure out some of these bugs with the HAWK and get it tuned right. best of luck

Did you do any welding on the car?

I always disconect the battery when welding. The first time it went out was Sunday morning in Pigeon Forge after a strong thunderstorm. I replaced it and drove home. The next time I tried to start it was the following Thursday and nothing.

It's kinda like the 4 bolt axles, we've never had a problem with them, even at 600 hp but others have at lower hp.

I'm not saying don't use the MSD, some don't have problems, but I have and feel I should share my story.