master cylinder brake upgrade.

is there any other master cylinders that might work on our cars.

bigger diameter piston kit. can the master cylinder remote

reservoir (sp) be located in another location?

maybe a larger piston can fit if the stock cylinder is machined larger to fit.

just wondering what can be done.

change the size of the master and that effects the fluid displaced, change that and your calipers will be effected, the pedal travel will change

if you use a larger cylinder your pedal travel will decrease maybe you'll have to change the pivot point, use a smaller cylinder and mashing it to the floor won't stop your car when your pads are worn down

you looking for a small or shorter cylinder for a clearance reason? what you trying to do? your can put that plastic bottle anywhere as long as the fluid gravity feeds to the master

• 1 month later...
Yep! But in my case only going to 2, or 4 piston. Someday!

I was at a u pull it place and walked by a 740i and looked at the hydro boost setup that came stock that used thier pwr steering to power it.

I posted it in Project0g's site under booster conversion if I remember right. I don't know how to copy it to here though.

It looked like it still could be done but would just be longer. The thread gives pics and measurements too.

I'll be going 4g64 with my 87 uest and even looked at a turbo colt master and booster that is significantly smaller for aftermarket intake mods. and works a 4wheel disc setup.

Just delete the spacer inbetween the booster and firewall.

Just my .02

Errol

I was at a u pull it place and walked by a 740i and looked at the hydro boost setup that came stock that used thier pwr steering to power it.

I posted it in Project0g's site under booster conversion if I remember right. I don't know how to copy it to here though.

It looked like it still could be done but would just be longer. The thread gives pics and measurements too.

I'll be going 4g64 with my 87 uest and even looked at a turbo colt master and booster that is significantly smaller for aftermarket intake mods. and works a 4wheel disc setup.

Just delete the spacer inbetween the booster and firewall.

Just my .02

Errol

OH, And only paid 50.00 for all of it! Lines, pump, master, and pressure resivior

non abs 3kgt cars came with a 1inch bore master ( starion is 15/16). Abs 3kgt cars came with a 1 1/16inch master. No the masters dont bolt on but you can probably mod your firewall to accept their brake booster as well.

The stock calipers run 2.25" diameter pistons(roughly)

ive got wilwood 1.75" bore 4 piston calipers

Surface area(for force requirements) per caliper are

stock - 3.98

Wilwood - 9.62

so a car running 4 piston calipers up front, stock rears has 27.192 surface area of pistons vs 15.9 stock. The stock bore at 15/16 gives you .6899 surface area(these are all square inches). so you can see the ratios get really messed up. Because of the larger surface area behind the pistons you can transfer more force but have way more fluid moving. If you talk about a ratio of area you almost double it with the larger calipers. You also can transfer almost 3 times more force to the front calipers(provided the correct ratio).

The pads i ordered are back ordered until today so once i actually get pads in for my calipers i will start playing around with options. Boring out the master may be a good idea but the rebuild kits arent just a new piston. You also need the sleeve so finding a master with the same length and internal valving, plus a new c-clip groove would need to be cut. Im not even sure if there is enough material.

An adapter plate could be made where the master attaches to the booster and a brake arm extender(longer clevis) would have to be fitted.

or ive been tossing around the idea of a bell crank at the brake pedal. This would reduce the amount of force you translate to the brakes but you would get increased travel of the brake arm moving more fluid per input on the pedal. I have to figure out how much usable pedal travel we have so i know if it will work or not. Since this is done in conjunction with larger calipers and possibly larger rotors the reduce force transfer probably wouldnt be noticed since you are increasing your brake forces anyways.

oh i believe the starion master studs are on a 2.5" spacing and they are vertical. Also the booster stud pattern isnt square so rotating it 90degrees is out unless you are willing to redrill your fire wall.