Engine Rebuild

star72

Quick story- I was in high school when these cars came out and I had always wanted to own one for the longest time. Of course, twenty years later I finally bought one but unfortunately this one has a blown head gasket. I want to rebuild the engine but need everyones input on these cars. I know these cars are fun to drive but I want to get some good horsepower for those go fast days but I don't want go overboard on my budget (engine rebuilt, interior, paint, etc.)

Rebuild

I want to know how much horsepower I can get without getting to technical with engine internals? Do I need to upgrade the cam, pistons, etc. because if it is not necessary I would prefer not to do it.

Also, this car is bone stock-what sort of bolt-on upgrades can you guys suggest?

Thanks, Mike

You definitely need to spend a lot of time on the FAQ page. That will help you with must maintenance items, free mods, and where to start with bolt-ons, etc...

I like to recommend forged pistons and lightened rods. That goes a long way to broadening the effective RPM range, and the ability to keep the engine in that range. Let alone more protection against detonation, etc... I try no to skimp on engine internals because those are the most time consuming to replace, whereas most everything else can be bolted on with the engine in the car, so you can add parts later that you can't aford now.

What year is your car?

The bottom end is pretty solid, it tends to be the top end that fails most often and that is more often than not caused by cooling problems.

The stock heads have a habit of cracking between the valves when over heated.

Unless you are going to try to join the 300 or 400hp club, I would rebuild the lower end stock and focus on the head, intake and exhaust. Most people do one step at a time. Install a good after market head and maybe a port job. No need for a different cam. Install a boost control and add a couple of pounds of boost. Install a new exhaust system. 2 1/2" is the most popular. 3" can be done but you may have clearance issues. If you can get rid of the cats where you live you may want to do so, otherwise get some quality after market cats. (just get the secondary cat and gut the pre-cat but I didn't tell you to do it).

Do all this and get the engine running good. That may be plenty of power for you. If not, start looking at an MPI set-up.

The most important thing seems to be letting this engine breath. Anything you can do to allow easier air flow will improve your performance.

Hey Tim C. can you recommend a set of pistons and rods and where I could purchase them?

FlattopMIke

my car is an 88. If the head turns out to be fine would you suggest porting? or where can I purchase an after market head? you mentioned the cooling problems would you recommend an aftermarket IC?

could you guys point out a couple of websites I can purchase products or where I can find them?

Thanks again!

Dad(Randy) @ enginemachineservice.com can help you with all of the engine internals. He is basically the one-stop shop for these engines and hes a great guy on top of it. He has helped many members and its to our benefit to support him :thumbsup:

http://www.enginemachineservice.com/conquest.html

Dad is the man for all of your engine needs.

You can use Dad for the head as well or I have used this shop (local for me). They ship but I don't know how much it cost.

http://www.aluminumheads.com/AMC.html

When I was in there a couple weeks ago he had a rebuilt complete AMC head on the shelf that he said he would make a deal on.

Unless you can do it yourself, I don't know if porting is really worth it. It does add power but you have to weigh $$$ to power. Your money may be better spent elsewhere.