Coolant in oil

Drwojo

Hello all. I have recently rebuilt my motor with .40 over and all the happy what not. I finally got it started and after I checked all my fluids. There was some coolant in my oil but the coolant level did not go down, so I changed my oil and filter. I removed the necessary hardware and re torqued the head to about 84 ft lbs while using a 4 in extension. I started to the car again to dial in timing and it seems there is still coolant in the oil.

When doing this rebuild I did not use any sort of sealant for the underside of the head to headgasket as directed by the service manual. Was this a large step that I missed? If so shame on me and I have some work to do, if not then let me know what you think could cause this. Headgasket? Water pump and fron timing cover? Turbo? Block ( I'm 99% the block is good)

And just to clear up a little I used this block and head before and had no coolant problems what so ever.

Hello all. I have recently rebuilt my motor with .40 over and all the happy what not. I finally got it started and after I checked all my fluids. There was some coolant in my oil but the coolant level did not go down, so I changed my oil and filter. I removed the necessary hardware and re torqued the head to about 84 ft lbs while using a 4 in extension. I started to the car again to dial in timing and it seems there is still coolant in the oil.

When doing this rebuild I did not use any sort of sealant for the underside of the head to headgasket as directed by the service manual. Was this a large step that I missed? If so shame on me and I have some work to do, if not then let me know what you think could cause this. Headgasket? Water pump and fron timing cover? Turbo? Block ( I'm 99% the block is good)

And just to clear up a little I used this block and head before and had no coolant problems what so ever.

Could come from the gear cover, where the water pump passage goes thru to the block.

is there any smoke out exhaust? If there is out the exhaust it could be throttle body. most gaskets do not need sprayed so you should be alright unless you tore the gasket on install ( doubtfull)

Dad

Do a leak down test.

What gasket kit did you use?

Yes do a leak down test, aka pressure test, of the colling system. You can "rent" the tool from AutoZone. Pump no more than what the rad cap states. Something like 13-15 lbs. Pull the spark plugs out. Let sit under pressure for 15 plus mins. If the cylinders fill with coolant its for sure the head gasket, or intake "might" have blown.

And need to know which gasket? Most don't require coating.