Brake Leak...Not sure what it may be

clbsinvaders

Hey, first off I am making my '86 completely ready for summer. The only thing now is that it doesn't hold pressure in the brakes, and it is leaking fluid. I was checking to see where it was leaking, and it is coming (partially maybe, need to do a more thorough check on it) from what looks like between the brake booster and master cylinder, because it is leaking down the booster and dripping.

Does anyone have any relation to this problem, tips or tricks to properly diagnose this? Do I need a new Master Cylinder or Brake Booster? I have none whatsoever experience with brakes.

It is an 86 Starion, unmodified, everything is stock.

If it's leaking from the inside, you can rebuild it with a kit, search the part number database, or recent threads because I am having dejavu here, I think there was an identical thread yesterday.

Anyway, I hear it's pretty easy, and I will have to do it myself if my current fixes don't help my magically draining reservoir.

Its the master cylinder, that's how they act just before you go to stop and the pedal drops to the floor and you crash and its hard to say how long you have until it does that. The least you can do is pull it off, remove the clip in the back and let the pieces fall out then flush out the rusty fluid, its that rust that ate up the edges of the rubber parts or just is physically keeping the rubber parts from sealing against the cylinder wall and why the fluid can' hold the pressure any longer.