what the is going on here

rustrocket

Primary on any coil is the 12 volts from the car's electrical system. Primary ignition side.

Secondary is the coil to distrib cap wire...coil tower where the high voltage comes from to the plugs. The coil tower is the large hole with what looks like a spark plug wire on it. Secondary ignition side.

On the injectors, key on, one side and one side only should have 12 volts...the other wire is the ground, which is supplied by the ECU. Basic electric 101. Same as to a light bulb...one side power, the other ground. 12 volts on both wires to an injector would be a short, which would blow something, therefore no power.

if the inj clip is plug'd in when you check for voltage you will read 12 volts on both sides of the clip,,this is because sence there is no actual current flow the resistor (inj resistor and the inj it's self ) pass's the full batt volts ,, once curent is flowing the voltage drops

i think i may have found the problem. the windshield has been leaking water when it rains onto the wiring harness and possibly the ecu. took the battery out of it to let everything dry out before trying to restart. now that i think of it the car did make some funny noises and buck a little the last time i drove in the rain. heres to hoping!

i found the problem. i have a crack in my windshield and it funneled water into thedash which then dumped it right into my ecu area.

---water and wire (not the best of friends) caused a short in the injectors that made them fire constantly.

----remedy, i waited 1 week with the car sitting in the sun and she fired right up.

----next a little strategic caulking and she is water tight again.

to all who helped, THANK YOU for dealing with a guy and his beatdown. :roll:

• 1 month later...

This is interesting as I have the same problem...and it's been raining here recently pretty good.

Where is your crack at in the windshield? Mine is on the driver side...less than a foot from the edge of the windshield. I'm guessing from you saying that it gets into the ecu area, it'd have to be on the pass side.

I just swapped interiors (everything but the dash itself) and didn't see anything pointing to a leak (nothing wet considering it just rained cats and dogs for a few days here). So this would be weird...

when you say primery and secondary you meen what? i assume it has to do with the two poles on the opposite sides of the coil. the other thing is i changed the plugs and it still would not start.

the list is:

-plugs

-dizzy

-injectors

-battery

-ground

-vac lines

-checked fuel pump

-all boosted pipes

-bov

-boost controller

-air filter

-turbo for play,still good

one of the wires to the injectors is geting 12v and the other is gettin .45v

is that normal?

You need to swap ecu's for a quick comparison, something is telling your computer to fire

either the ecu is bad or a input sensor is bad.

i found the problem. i have a crack in my windshield and it funneled water into thedash which then dumped it right into my ecu area.

---water and wire (not the best of friends) caused a short in the injectors that made them fire constantly.

----remedy, i waited 1 week with the car sitting in the sun and she fired right up.

----next a little strategic caulking and she is water tight again.

to all who helped, THANK YOU for dealing with a guy and his beatdown. :roll:

Eventually you will need to change the ecu, now that you have put voltage in it with water

the electronic components are weak now. due to shortages.

omg, everyone here neglected to tell you the secret method for problem solving eletrical running issues with starquests.

1. start unplugging stuff. first would be the Mass air sensor, which is what I BET is your problem.

you say that it died upon any throttle input? well, if the mass air sensor is broken, it will read airflow improperly and make the engine die when it's sensing air. the car ignores the mass air sensor for the first 10 seconds of running or so, and if you unplug it to check, it will run in "startup mode" for as long as you want.

try it before anything else. and don't put a v8 in it because you had electrical problems.

Edited by Technology

omg, everyone here neglected to tell you the secret method for problem solving eletrical running issues with starquests.

1. start unplugging stuff. first would be the Mass air sensor, which is what I BET is your problem.

you say that it died upon any throttle input? well, if the mass air sensor is broken, it will read airflow improperly and make the engine die when it's sensing air. the car ignores the mass air sensor for the first 10 seconds of running or so, and if you unplug it to check, it will run in "startup mode" for as long as you want.

try it before anything else. and don't put a v8 in it because you had electrical problems.

THATS ONE OF THE INPUT SENSORS I WAS TALKING ABOUT.

THATS ONE OF THE INPUT SENSORS I WAS TALKING ABOUT.

If you know all the input and output sensors involved with start-up and running. you eliminated

half of your electrical probelms.

you can find the schematics in the FSM.