skips second

quikconq

From working on the valve bodies for these transmissions, I could see how that could happen if the 2nd to 3rd shift valve or the 2nd lock valve could be sticking, this is just a good guess though, if I get a chance I'll take a look at the hydraulic schematics, I'm not an expert, but you may want to take the trans pan off, and take the valve body out and try to clean it, it's not really that hard, just extremely messy, I have seen some really gunked up VBs, if you really want to get brave take the VB all apart and clean it.

Can you shift it to 2nd yourself? with the shifter? what does it do when you try?

Also check the vac line going to a modulator on the outside of the trans, on the drivers side

The worst case scenario is your second band break is toast

nah it doesnt even try to go into second,,,like it just isnt there,,,if i let up on the gas and slow down a bit ,,then i have to rev back up for 1st to kick back in

if i keep a steady gas pedal pressure,,and manually shift up 1 to 2 again i get nothing,,,then 2nd postion to 3rd itll shift ,,and lose about 2000 rpm

talk about sluggish

not sure if the tranny is worth messin with

any ideas as far as the overdrive

The OD will normally turn off if you slow down to a certain speed, that is normal, and normally you can force it into any gear by selecting it with the shifter, so what happens when you select "2" ? by nothing do you mean it goes right to 3rd or nothing as in it feels like it's in neutral?

when manualy shift into 2nd,it just stays in first,,,if i let up on the gas it almost feels like nuetral but i rev up and first is back

the overdrive wont just kick in when i switch the button,,,only when i slightly speed up ,,,then just kick out after a couple seconds,, wont stay engaged

if i could get the od to work then maybe the tranny might be worth lookin into as far a takin down the vb

Well theres the temp sensor that won't let the OD ingauge unless the engine is up to temp, but I never heard of it causing it to go off and on, the OD is also controled by pressure...inside the VB, same as the 2nd gear band, so they may be related, the easiest thing to check first is the vac. line, after that a good cleaning...after that...anyone else?

If it really gives it a deep clean out and it doesn't cost too much then yeah, it wouldn't hurt to try it, you could also do a band adjustment check yourself, do you have the manual? it's got any auto tranny section in it that details this

I am not familar with our auto trannys, I've always had 5speeds, but I would definitely try to change the fluid and filter, and I've heard of people doing a fluid swap by removing the cooler lines putting the input line in a extremely clean bucket (new) with new fluid in it, and a empty bucket to catch the old fluid form the other line, with the car running I've heard the fluid can be exchanged, but I've always wondered if it would have enough suction to take in the new fluid, if not it could probably damage the trans.

Just be sure the new fluid is as clean as can be. Dirt is hydraulics worst enemy.

But even just draining the fluid (changing the filter) and adding new fluid changes the majority of it, I believe.

Yes I do the mods, have done them for a few members on here, thats an interesting idea sucking all the old oil out and replacing it with new, kind of like a transfusion...trans-fusion, get it? :lol:

Heres the latest going to "BILLY"

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z115/RL4406/P1000594.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
my first starion was an auto and it did the same thing. it lasted another month maybe and then i lost all foward gears all together. i did have a warning sigh before i lost second. i used to shift real hard into second. so hard it would make my rear wheels chirp just cruising. the boost seems to come on just as its shifting to 2nd and catch the tranny of gaurd, so im assuming it was slipping so bad the boost would spike right before it went to second and that burnt up my second gear band. then one day, second was just gone.