thinkin about the SR20

JustAConquest

ive finally made the decision to go with an sr20det. ive got a place that has everything i need, the specialize in 240s. i was thinking that if i use the jdm sr20, jdm tranny and the right hand drive rack and pin. to try and get the weight down im going to gut everything from the seats back. does anyone know if i will need to get new suspension components or what else do i need?

thanks

Robert

your performance will be no better than the 4g63 swap.... probably less

but if your doing ot just to do it then thats cool man... Robert Frost told the story of my life so i have to applaude the plan.

• 7 months later...
ive finally made the decision to go with an sr20det. ive got a place that has everything i need, the specialize in 240s. i was thinking that if i use the jdm sr20, jdm tranny and the right hand drive rack and pin. to try and get the weight down im going to gut everything from the seats back. does anyone know if i will need to get new suspension components or what else do i need?

thanks

Robert

did you end up doing the sr20 install mate?

How can you use a right hand drive rack and pinion?

flip it... (that's not really a joke, even though it sounds like one)

hah thats what i was going to say

• 3 weeks later...
ok i bought a full 240 with an sr20det so im htinkin about just takin most of the stuff and transfering it. wouldnt the stock rack n pinion work since the 240 is left hand drive just like the quest? and since the sr is about the same size as a 4g wouldnt it slide in without messing with the firewall? i know ill probly need to cut the motor mounts from the 240 and weld them on the quest but has anyone done an SR before so i might have a game plan?

you should take both mounts to a machine shop and have them make you some solid mount with SQ fittings on one side and sr20 fitting on the other...

or..

measure the cross member

you might be able to just use the 240 x-mem with the right holes drilled then your steering rack should bolt up too..

I have some adapter plates for the 240SX crossmember if you want them. They'll work as long as you're not lowering you car car as much as I did. I ended up so low that I had to raise the crossmember to correct my piss poor control arm angles. To do this, I removed the adapter plate and just welding an adapter onto the crossmember itself.

My car has 240SX Tein coilovers lowered to the bottom of their adjustment up front with custom top camber plates and Tein pillowball upper mounts. I used 240SX control arms with holes drilled for the starion tension rods. I then used S14 front hubs and Z brakes. This required me to add longer wheel studs and a 1/4" spacer behind my mesh wheels to clear the brakes. Stock wheels wont work without even more spacing and the wheels are already cambered in 5 degrees to clear the rolled fender.

Lots of work, but at least it looks, stops and handles bad a**!

• 3 weeks later...
ok i bought a full 240 with an sr20det so im htinkin about just takin most of the stuff and transfering it. wouldnt the stock rack n pinion work since the 240 is left hand drive just like the quest? and since the sr is about the same size as a 4g wouldnt it slide in without messing with the firewall? i know ill probly need to cut the motor mounts from the 240 and weld them on the quest but has anyone done an SR before so i might have a game plan?

mate i used the starion crossmember, starion engine mounts and the nissan brackets that bolt to the SR bolted up. the engine sat too high though and the gearbox wouldnt fit in the tunnel so i used steel plates that bolted to the starion engine mounts and welded it to the nissan brackets which allowed me to lower the engine enough for the gearbox to fit in the tunnel nicely. it also allowed me to move engine back or forward to my liking. gearstick come up through the tunnel as normal

one thing i must say i hate about the SR though is the timing cover - pain in the arse

better make some heat sheilds for your brake booster etc since yours is LHD

good luck though mate.

Heres a current pic of my engine bay

http://aycu38.webshots.com/image/19757/2002892907128866515_rs.jpg