I just bought me a griffin radiator... #GRI-1-45222-X

first off, ITS NICE!

drop straight in

here's a lil mock up

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c232/soulja620/100_0221.jpg

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c232/soulja620/100_0222.jpg

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c232/soulja620/100_0223.jpg

now i got a couple questions as well...

Anyone know where i can get hoses for these? or like a part # from summit? I think iv seen em posted up before but couldnt find em

and also, what should i do for a cooling fan? what size and all that stuff would be very helpful ;)

i was thinking this but not sure

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Zirgo-10-Ra...sspagenameZWDVW

Thanks

Ryan

Have you tried to close your hood yet? The last picture you have there looks like the radiator is pretty high. My radiator is just about even with the core support for the hood to close.

the more you tilt it back the less room you have to instal a fan between the radiator and the water pump pulley. You may have to lower the bracket on the core support or cut some of the core support so that you can move it forward. I'm using a flex-o-lite fan from spal. Can't remember the dimensions but I know it was the slimest fan I could find. I ended up getting rid of the weather striping to make more room. You may be better off since it looks like thats not a 3 core rad. I ordered mine from Summit back in 99. I would just do some quick measuring and put the biggest fan you can get in there. You will most likely need one with a shroud to get optimal cooling.

find the article about this by josh red88tsi. i think its in this very section. he list part numbers for hoses and the whole nine yards.

i recomend 2 12" fans. i run one 16" fan and think i would have been happier with 2 12". thats what my next setup will be.

check out this link.

http://www.starquestclub.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=31238

find the article about this by josh red88tsi. i think its in this very section. he list part numbers for hoses and the whole nine yards.

i recomend 2 12" fans. i run one 16" fan and think i would have been happier with 2 12". thats what my next setup will be.

check out this link.

http://www.starquestclub.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=31238

Yes, that article is right on. I ordered the hose that Josh recommended and installed it today. Had to trim the hose up but it worked like a charm!

One more thing, the hose does have a bigger diameter than stock and fits snug on the radiator but loose on the water pump. What I did was cut a piece of the original hose and put on the water pump and then slide the new hose on top of it and tightened it down.

Good luck.

Mitchell.

hey thanks for the link to josh's page!

also, where did you order you bottom hose from wasabii?

I need the one too!

also, the width of the radiator where i would place the fans is only abour 20 1/2 inches... id be lucky to fit two 10's....?

hey thanks for the link to josh's page!

also, where did you order you bottom hose from wasabii?

I need the one too!

also, the width of the radiator where i would place the fans is only abour 20 1/2 inches... id be lucky to fit two 10's....?

Ordered it from rockauto.com.

I am going to use the stock radiators fans as pusher fans by simply switching the wires around and have an adjustable temperature sensor to activate the fans. If I can't fit both fans, I"ll just use the big one for now and see if that suffices. If not, I might have to order an after-market one. I'll let you know how it goes.

Mitchell.

1. you can't just reverse the connectors on the fan and expect a pusher fan. it will be very ineffecient and loud. even fans that are made to be turned pusher or puller are don't work very well. a pusher fan has blades designed to work in that certain direction.

2. one stock fan will defintly not be suffecient.

3. no fan will be suffecient if there is not a nice tight shroud around it.

4. as a pusher fan, if you have no AC condenser, you can get the 14" summit racing brand fan (about $50), and it drops in the opening and it doesn't even need anything to hold it. fits perfectly in front of the radiator. but that by itself won't be enough.

1. you can't just reverse the connectors on the fan and expect a pusher fan. it will be very ineffecient and loud. even fans that are made to be turned pusher or puller are don't work very well. a pusher fan has blades designed to work in that certain direction.

2. one stock fan will defintly not be suffecient.

3. no fan will be suffecient if there is not a nice tight shroud around it.

4. as a pusher fan, if you have no AC condenser, you can get the 14" summit racing brand fan (about $50), and it drops in the opening and it doesn't even need anything to hold it. fits perfectly in front of the radiator. but that by itself won't be enough.

Damn artinist! Lol... Ok, so now that we know what won't work, how about a couple of suggestions on what will work?

Wouldn't one 14" after-market pusher fan with a shroud be enough? I read somewhere that puller fans are more efficient so maybe double 10" or 12" low profile puller fans would be enough?

Man, after all is done, it would probably have been cheaper just buying the custom griffin radiator and keep the stock fans, sensors, mounts etc.... But anyway, I'm already this far in, so we're going all the way.

do you mean "in front" as inbetween radiator and pulley, or radiator and intercooler? .

Puller fans are placed between the radiator and the engine. Pusher fans are placed between the radiator and the front of the car.

Mitchell.

[

Man, after all is done, it would probably have been cheaper just buying the custom griffin radiator and keep the stock fans, sensors, mounts etc.... But anyway, I'm already this far in, so we're going all the way.

man im bout to just say F'it and get a flex fan or something...

anyone have any part #'s? lol,

just get a single heavy duty 16" puller fan and install it carefully so there is no open spaces between the fan and the radiator. some rubber or foam weatherstripping will come in very handy.

i have a 14" pusher fan as backup but the car doesn't even think of going over 180 with the single fan in the back.

you want something around 2500 cfm.

this one should work. mine is 3.4" thick.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.a...mp;autoview=sku

you put the fan to the drivers side as much as possible so it doesn't hit the pulley.

if the specs written on the auction are true then it should work. it looks a lot like the summit brand fan which is around 2000 cfm

you put the fan to the drivers side as much as possible so it doesn't hit the pulley.

if the specs written on the auction are true then it should work. it looks a lot like the summit brand fan which is around 2000 cfm

Thanks Art. I looked at the pics of your install and saw how you placed the fan to the side of the radiator. Looks good. I'll be placing my order shortly :wink: .

Mitchell.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, here an update.

I got my griffin radiator in, (same on as Art's) and ordered a 16in ProComp fan from Ebay.

That fan was a few mm away from the water pump and I was concerned that it might get damaged by the engine movement.

So, I returned the 16in fan and bought a 14in instead. The fan fit nicely, but Art was right, it was not enough to cool down the car as the temps rose to about 200 degrees driving normally.

Since I needed to get the car going for MOD06, I bought another 14in pusher fan from a local performance store and installed it on the radiator diagonally from the puller fan.

That kept my temps around 190. On my way to LA, on a hot hot day, I pushed the car uphill full boost and kept the temps under 210 degrees (that's about 1/2 way in the stock gauges).

I just replaced my coolant for some water wetter and will test the car out again this weekend.

I hope to keep the temps under 190 on full boost on a hot day.

May need to upgrade to a Flex-a-lite Trimline 16in puller fan and hope that it fits.

What do you guys think? Do these temps seem normal to you?

Mitchell.