87 TSI makes strong come back!!!!!!!!

87 BLACK TSI

I am so happy right now I can hardly sit here! I just got back from my FIRST ever TSI ride. All I can say is WOW...

My Story Of grave to Rave.

I stumbled across a TSI stored in a Garage since some time in 92. The car was owned by a good friend. He got transfered out of state and didn't have any plans for the car. I needed one for my son (he isn't getting it now...lol) We pulled it out and cleaned the poor thing. Put a battery and gas and nothing happened. I was very busy moving and working and my son put new plugs, air filter and other routine stuff. Still nothing. We looked for spark and found it. I then said it has to be the fuel system. We ended up pulling the tank. the gas was the most foul, thick, nasty crap I have ever seen. The car sat for a few months. We moved again into a house with a second garage and as soon as time permitted I started on the tank. First it was washed with soap and water. I ordered the POR 15 gas tank restoration kit. It has marine clean. A great sludge remover and degreaser. More soap and the quarter car wash. Then the POR metal prep. It removed almost all the rust and etched the tank for the final step. That is the sealer. it was a trick getting it to coat the entire inside. The baffles were a son of a gun. After it dried I used chassis saver on the outside of the tank.

The fuel pump was kaput! replaced it. Flushed all the fuel lines. Replaced the fitler. Cleaned the throttle body and injectors. While I was at it a cap and rotor. The battery cables looked like junk and found a great how to in this site. so some 1 gauge grounds were added. changed all fluids ( now that it is running it will be changed again).

My son got in and we cranked with out the coil wire to got oil and fuel to their right places. pluged the coil wire in and on the first crank it fired and purrrrrrrrrrrrred. We were all grins from ear to ear......

The interior of the car is in near perfect condition. Some of the control buttons are showing some age. Leather is spotless. Body has a few dings and a small dent on the front left fender. One running light nees a lens. One tail light got jacked. But no RUST.

Power steering is hard a a rock. Guess that is next and a through under the hood clean. Need to see where the opil is leaking. It looks like the valve cover.

Enough for now If anyone has any suggestions fire away. I have so much to learn this car has several mechanical things I have never seen. Where is the best place to get a repair manual? I looked at helms and didn't find.

Thanks!

Yes, I found books 4 car and they say "87 Conquest & Starion Shop Service Repair Manual by Chrysler, Plymouth, & Mitsubishi: 1,400 pages". It is $90.00 and do not want to waste money. Does anyone have one of these is it any good?

I like helms but it looks like they do not produce one. Hanyes is lousy in my opinion. Chiltons is okay.

Search Ebay daily... Thanks

Thanks for the links and the ebay search, picked up a manual for 26 plus 10 for shipping.

I have bbeen lurking around for a couple of weeks. lots of good information and experiences. I just finished a brake line flush and found the lines without any cracks and the rotor in nice condition. I think I might change out the pads anyway. I am in the middle of putting a 180 degree thermostat in and pulling the valve cover to adjust the valve and the air jets. I don't quite get them yet but from what I have read most don't like them.

I am not sure if I should leave it stock or do some minor to medium upgrades. My son and I have a 95 del sol project that is maxed out. That is one nice ride (when we finish). When I get some more time I will post some specifics and pics in the BS section. If any of you run across a front running light assembly (left side) or a rear tail light assembly (left side) let me know. I also need the front lower air dam.

When I was first going over the car I found the left rear lugs loose. They where tightended, when for a short ride and started the brakes tonight thet where loose again. Anyone ever come across that before. I find it wierd.

Thanks again for the compliments these are very rare cars.

Here is a link to a 87/88 parts manual. It will identify both 87 and 88 parts.

http://www.starquestgarage.com/partsloc/co...rtsloc_nav.html

I also like to use Mentor Mitsubishi for on-line parts ordering simply because I can type in the parts number and get an immediate response whether the part is still available. Other Mitsu suppliers also offer this.

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/ind...p;siteid=213934

87 Black TSI, where are you located? Recommend you read Professor's Quest's "How To" on the radiator modifcation. This mod will definately keep the engine running cool, it kicks in the secondary and A/C cooling fans whenever the primary fan turns on. Never let the engine overheat, you'll blow the headgasket or cracked the head. Had that happen to me in the early 90's. The Mitsu dealer I took it to must have did that mod because I'm the original owner of my 87, (bought it in October 86.), and this summer when I was restoring it, I pulled the radiator for cleaning. I was going to do the mod and discovered it was already done. I cleaned are the wiring, added an additional ground wire for the fans, and replaced both thermosensors since the radiator was out. If you do this mod, check the water pump. Had to replace mine last week after 19 years. They are not hard to replace but a lot easier to do when the radiator is out. Just my 2 cents worth.

Mid,

I am going through the entire car. I will do the rad fan conversion. I pulled the valve cover last night and everything looks clean as a whistle. Also pulled all the belts for replacement. They were in bad shape. To my surprise most of the rubber in the car is in exellent shape. Only a few lines are dryrotting and its where the hose attaches.

I read a mod to the valve cover it let is breath I am considering that as well. My hold back is I do not understand all the systems on it and do not want to randomly do little upgrades without a total plan. one of my quesses are that the engine is choking and needs better ventalation. I bouhgt a couple of breathers for the Honda from Endyn.

[/url]http://www.theoldone.com/components/breather/

One for the valve cover and the other for the crankcase. The focas is basics right now, learn what I can and drive the hell out of it...lol.

I am located in the Detroit area.

The Car needs 3 costly things, tires, clutch and muffler. I need to research those and install. For the tires I am considering the Eagle F1 GS. For the muffler Not sure if a 3" is neccessary but do want the cats gone. I also want to have it somewhat quiet and no way a fart can. The clutch prefference is Clutchmasters if one is available and a lightened flywheel.

Any sugesstions for experiences are welcome. Just don't be upset if I go a different direction...lol.

I got my 87 factory service manual today. I see that someone is trying to get that on line. If I can talk the kids into it I will take it apart and have it scanned. For anyone else that has one it is a great idea, help those that others!!!!! After the book is destroyed put it in sleeves and in a binder. That will protect the pages from dirt grease and the like.....

The are several members in the Detroit area. "Burton" is in the Grand Rapids area...see his post in this forum "Lookie What I Get to Play With". I got rid of my "cats". I ordered a 2.5" downpipe from

kellydahman...

http://forums.*DMperformance.com/viewforum.php?f=32

and took it to the tire and muffler shop next to where I work. I told them I needed to redo my exhaust to pass the state safety inspection, (where I live doesn't require emissions inspection) and the mechanic asked if I wanted to eliminate the other cat. Cost $150 for new 2.5" exhaust and muffler from the turbo to the tailpipe. Kept the old exhaust and cat 'just in case'.

Check out "thetexan88" in the Parts for Sale Forum. Dave Springer is a good reliable source for parts. I bought a black chrome valve cover and I will do the mod to that before I install it. These cars will cost money, but I buy a few extra parts here and there just to have on hand.

Its pretty hard to make these cars sound like a typical fart can. They tend to sound more like a loud desiel if you open up the exhuast.

Before you do your clutch consider upgrading to the larger style 88/89 clutch and flywheel. A lightened stock 88/89 flywheel or a Fidenza one is a decent upgrade that doesn't have much downside.

I discovered last night that the valves are not mechanically adjustable they are auto adjust... The jet valve must be warm to adjust. Thats wierd...

I cannot find the professor's write up on wiring both fans to turn on. But a simple thought occured to me. Each thermosensor that turns each fan on is a different temp. So just replace the 212 degree on with a 191 degree one. This would allow the 2 circuits to opperate independently like designed but increase the cooling.

Thats for the reply on the exhaust. I am considering going with a 3" custome. I know a few people that run in the right circles to get a great job at a fair price. Car shops are a dime a dozen in the motor city.

I crawled under it last night and took a good look for rust. There is some developing as well as a lot of oil. Guess it is time to sand blast the bottom and por 15 it. We did it on the del sol. PITA but the sesults were worth it. Por has a top coat too. That will prevent fading. This job will be a little more complicated. I will not strip everything out this time. So Taping off and being careful will be important.

Also decided that I am going to sent the turbo heat shields and the valve cover out for ceramic coating.

Keep the ideas coming I appreciate it.....

Per the Mod...."Replace with a primary but you SHOULD ALSO use the jumper wire. If you do not use the jumper wire........odds are the secondary fan will engage FIRST and sometimes that means the primary will not come on at all. That is not what you are after."

Check out the link:

http://forums.*DMperformance.com/viewtopic...cd30a48ebe03cca

Here are the links to other good topics:

http://forums.*DMperformance.com/viewforum.php?f=26

http://starquest.i-x.net/viewforum.php?f=12

Thanks for those links. I like the idea with the switch and light.

Was working on her again last night. Had decided to remove the turbo and exhaust manifold. The manifold is a real work of art, not to mention it is cracked. It looks like there was an exhaust leak at the back cylinder. There are carbon deposits on the joint faces of the head and manifold.

Took a look at the turbo. The shaft has end play. My guess is about .005. Tonigh I will use a feeler gauge and measure it. It is still clearing the housing but damn I was not expecting this! Not on such a low milage car.

Since the Turbo is almost kaput and the manifold is trash. Makes me wonder if the head is also cracked. Can I find the crack without removing the head? I read that it cracks between the jet valve and valve guide. If my memory serves me correct.

So, the least expensive way to get her on the road with having a reliable repair...... Aftermarket manifold and rebuilt the tubo or do it right and get a new manifold and turbo. I do not know turbos and could use some recomendations here. The after maket manifolds I lokked at are a little pricey but at least they have addressed getting the primaries closer to the same length.

Hmmmm..... What to do...