Megasquirt and RPM..... Help.....

I'm useing the stock set up with Megasquirt for fuel only.

I've got it to run but the RPM's are all over the place in megatune and are fine on the stock tack.

I have the Megasquirt hooked to the stock wirer that go's to the - side of the coil. I all so ran another wire from the - side of the coil to the Megasquirt and it dose the same thing...

What am I missing or doing wrong???

Thanks

Ok, this is a little bit of a sore subject with me. I did some preventive measures to avoid this, before installing the box on my car. Long stoy short, alot of time wasted and $$ spent I found the problem. My problem was I burt out 3 coils and couldn't get her to rev past 3,200.

Here's the fix for you and what my problem was. For this situation, the MS manual calls for a .22uf capacitor, I used a 2.2uf. This was my problem, I used the wrong value.

I'm 99% sure it's the .22uf you want on your board. Take a look at the a**. instructions. If you don't find it, let me know and I'll find it for you. This should cure the dirty tach signal for you. I however didn't need one.

Shawn

I spoke too soon. I drove the car last on the weekend and since then added a MSD blaster II coil, now I have problems with the tach jumping for the MS. I wsa running the stock coil before.

Anyways, this is the first page to look at.

http://www.msefi.com/msinfo/manual/mwire.htm#ignition

And also read this.

51. Install and solder C12, the Ed capacitor (399-1818-1-ND, 0.001µF, 102 marking). The value of this capacitor may need to be increased if there are noise problems with the tach signal - values up to 0.1uf will work. The 0.001uf value is a good starting point.

I think I'm going to use the stock ncoil for the time being, seeing I'm going to the Ford EDiS this winter. I don't feel like playing with the box anymore to cure this problem.

Good luck,

Shawn

51. Install and solder C12, the Ed capacitor (399-1818-1-ND, 0.001µF, 102 marking). The value of this capacitor may need to be increased if there are noise problems with the tach signal - values up to 0.1uf will work. The 0.001uf value is a good starting point.

Yes I do have this instaled.

I guess I will have to end up increasing it though.. :?

The stock tach jumping and the megasquirt rpm jumping are two different problems. There are lots of posts on www.msefi.com search for RPM AND SPIKING. Ususally this has to do with cap and resistor values that can be adjusted to suit.

my stock tach was jumpy and didn't work about 3000rpm, so I just took out the stock noise filter (small brass box), but you should only do this if you use distributorless and are NOT using the coil wire to fire the tach (ie/ CTO or clean-tach-out off a module versus plugging it into the (-) side of the coil right next to 50K volts!)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am assembling MS-II and will be using a MSD crank trigger with 6AL. plus a magna intake.

I'm interested in finding out what is going on with yours. keep us updated. :)

i just got done with the MAP sensor and the two resistors after that in the instructions and it's bed time. this is fun so far. :D

edit: actually, i'll be skipping the 6AL because the MS-2 has high current coil drivers in it. i hadn't gotten that far in the instructions. the only reason to go with the 6AL was for multiple spark, but that only happens below 3000 rpm, and since the turbo comes on around then, i see no need for MSD at all. it's toight!