any suggestion for Fuel Pump upgrade.what brand is the best.

Heres a link to the specs. We have used the SX pump and regulator for three years with no problems.

http://www.importpoweronline.com/sx/sxpumps.pdf

ED

Thanx, hey that is a nice pump and it does outflow the 392. I was wondering why it costs so much, but it can flow over 100 GPH :shock: . That's impressive. Ed do you use that FP for your 8 injector Hurricane?

Heres a link to the specs. We have used the SX pump and regulator for three years with no problems.

ED

Thanx, hey that is a nice pump and it does outflow the 392. I was wondering why it costs so much, but it can flow over 100 GPH :shock: . That's impressive. Ed do you use that FP for your 8 injector Hurricane?

That pump is overkill...maybe 2 people in this entire club would make good use out of it... :)

That pump is overkill...maybe 2 people in this entire club would make good use out of it... :)

Well Boosted, My good friend and neighbor george, whom I helped install the FIP Hurricane System uses this pump. I am going to use this pump once the FIP manifold arrives and everything is ready to run. George and I have requested 1000CC injectors~ 92 lb/hr from our good friends at FIP. Ofcourse I have upgraded to 1/2 inch lines and using the stock feed (3/8 inch line for return. I got the SX fuel filter to support flow, which has a higher flow rating than the pump so it wont defeat the pump's purpose. Walbro is great ( I still have the walbro pump for when I was using the stock TBI...then replaced it with SX) thought dont get me wrong guys...but when you go all out on MPI setup, Forged internals and etc, You already have spent so much money its just one more reliable and solid performing part that you dont have to worry about later!

Plus it sounds mean, looks great, and its not too much more money than walbro ofcourse when comparing the build quality and specs! Just my 2 cents on why I chose it for my build.

Ok guys,

What is the max HP from the Walbro 255 LPH?

One company claims 400HP and one claims 550HP.

It may be over kill but, I'm going with the Aeromotive A1000 Fuel Pump

good to 700HP. Flows at 500lbs. per hour @ 12 Volts and 45 PSI

I also have gone with the Aeromotive A1000 as it is far superior to nearly anything else.

Jared

ED

Looks like a good pump in the range of the Paxton Kamakazi, The Aeromotive Tsunami, but still not as solid as the Aeromotive a1000 which is what I am going with with all new lines that will be braided at least.

Jared

Well Boosted, My good friend and neighbor george, whom I helped install the FIP Hurricane System uses this pump. I am going to use this pump once the FIP manifold arrives and everything is ready to run. George and I have requested 1000CC injectors~ 92 lb/hr from our good friends at FIP. Ofcourse I have upgraded to 1/2 inch lines and using the stock feed (3/8 inch line for return. I got the SX fuel filter to support flow, which has a higher flow rating than the pump so it wont defeat the pump's purpose. Walbro is great ( I still have the walbro pump for when I was using the stock TBI...then replaced it with SX) thought dont get me wrong guys...but when you go all out on MPI setup, Forged internals and etc, You already have spent so much money its just one more reliable and solid performing part that you dont have to worry about later!

Plus it sounds mean, looks great, and its not too much more money than walbro ofcourse when comparing the build quality and specs! Just my 2 cents on why I chose it for my build.

yeah dude his car is fuckin god damned sick dude i think he makes good use out of that pump and im sure youl make good use of it as well when your car is finished

yeah dude his car is #*&! god damned sick dude i think he makes good use out of that pump and im sure youl make good use of it as well when your car is finished

Hell yea! His car pulls HARD! Should have seen all the EVO's and one SRT claiming 450hp who got roasted by george's exhaust fumes! I did drive in the SRT and @ 22psi, its fast, but not fast enough! George boosted 25psi where at that point the MLS gasket gave up again cant wait for the titan copper gasket to be made....but the performance of the whole car depends on all supporting mods. From turbo all the way to exhaust everything must be up to the task. In engineering terms, you always want to have a safety factor. Lets say Walbro is capable of 500hp, and assuming that the motor is fully built and can handle 500hp, at a safety factor of 2 we multiply that 500x2, thus a 1000hp capable pump is the right choice for the 500hp goal, meaning the pump is never pushed to its full potential, therefore the stress is lower and hence reliability is higher. With my goal of having a daily driver, I need to be sure that every part I have put in the car can perform and are capable of much higher stress than I am going to ever touch. I think my 4" thick, 32" long intercooler (rated at 1250 cfm) is a bit of overkill too, but a T70 turbo will out flow that intercooler!

The SX pump has been proven reliable by FIP for 3 years. which is why I am choosing it for my hurricane MPI Setup. Now I think the Aeromotive is a bit of overkill! 500lb flow? Comeone man!

your gonna hate me, as i whisper, AEROMOTIVE TSUNAMI is what i been running,is that over kill? 390 GPH i think i can't remeber, i have had it on so long, but i had to send it in because it wasnt made for alchohal. man that alky really ate the rubber seals, are the walbros resistant to that?

alky resistant? i mean.

going with a 3bar map sensor has many disadvantages with most standalone systems.

1. unless you go with a high dollar late model system, the whole ignition/fuel map is a 8x8 graph. 8 rpm points, 8 air pressure points.

starting with zero that leaves about 7 points so you end up getting about 1 point per 1000 rpm but in reality its arounc 1200-1500 rpms between points.

and for map you get these 8 points. so with a 2 bar map you get> 20 kpa, 47, 74, 101, 127, 154, 181, 208

so the system stays constant past 14 psi when it comes to timing and fuel. this is am important point that has to be made clear.

past 14PSI there is NO timing change or additional fuel(according to the ECU)

the only change is additional fuel due to higher fuel pressure.

so if you were to go with a 3 bar map sensor. those 7 usable points on the graph don't start until you hit 14 psi. tuning for drivability suffers since you cant adjust fuel and timing down below.

this is where high dollar systems are much better.

they have either 12x12 or more likely 16x16 tables so there is plenty of points for tuning say every 500 rpm.

they also are able to use more than one map sensor so they switch from one to the other when they are out of range.

I don't understand the bit about useable map points not starting until 14 PSI.

The 3-bar map sensor still measures from 0(absolute vacuum) to 3 Bar(29 PSI boost) and your ECU should be able to read these values just fine. Most ECUs allow you to choose your own bin values. Space your MAP values out with the highest value at whatever your max boost will be, say 22 PSI(=250Kpa) So you'd have MAP bins at 20, 53, 86, 119, 152, 185, 218, 251 KPa. That's not too wide a spread.

Then when you have the map dialed in, you can see what parts of the map have lots of change(curvature) and space those bins closer, leaving the more linear(planar) areas of the map with wider spaced bins. With strategically placed bins 8x8 should be sufficient, especially with the fairly smooth TQ curves that these engines tend to produce. Incidentally, your VE plot will end up looking very similar to your torque curve, so you can use your dyno runs as a guide to placing your MAP bins.

When I went from 8x8 tables to 12x12 on my Megasquirt I didn't notice any change in driveability(2.5 Bar MAP sensor).

if i am not mistaking that calculation assumes a fuel pressure of about 35 psi and doesn't take into account rise in fuel pressure due to boost.

at 25 psi boost fuel pressure is at least 60 psi. 62 lbs injectors should easily be suffecient for 450whp

my friends 944 turbo is making 350whp with the stock 42lbs injectors at 17psi.

if i am not mistaking that calculation assumes a fuel pressure of about 35 psi and doesn't take into account rise in fuel pressure due to boost.

at 25 psi boost fuel pressure is at least 60 psi. 62 lbs injectors should easily be suffecient for 450whp

I gotta say Art I personally would not push small injectors that far.

I've seen guys here max out 550's...several guys... I know Lizzord did.

Many injectors flows are rated at about 43 psi. The base fuel pressure is set to this most of the time.

With a 1:1 regulator for each pound of boost the fuel pressure increases one psi, this keeps the injector operating at the same relative (43psi) as the boost increases.

Example: With 43psi base pressure and 20 psi of boost the fuel pressure would be 63psi, but the injector output side has 20psi of boost pressure on it so the real injector operating pressure is still 43psi.

The injector open time is what controls the amount fuel injected.

If you don't have a programable ecu, then a rising rate regulator, which adds more then one psi of fuel pressure for each pound of boost can be used, this is ok for a little extra fuel, but being able to control the injector open time is better.

• 1 month later...

Back to fuel pumps, which is easier to install? 392, or 255? We have an external setup already correct? I figure making at least 500rwhp - not a g54b so no lectures on how hard it is to make that kind of power ;) I know that 550rwhp on the 1jz is starting to push the walbro 255 to the limits, so im assuming it should be about the same for the 392.

I figure I will need to go with larger liunes, 3/8 stainless or aluminum? I can get 3.8 swag lock fittings for stainless all day long for free, dunno if they are right for the application though.

I guess I should ask on what install kit I will need since I will be going with larger fuel lines?

gotta love better the XS FUEL PUMP, and their sexy FUEL FILTER from XS, i think there are more quite quality for the buck....

there is one guy here running XS fuel pump and fuel filter with the stock fuel lines it runs perfect no problems what so ever, or any noise or anything like that, so far its running fine at 20PSI, its running real fast, not with MPI from any brand, its a sexy fuel system he put, and you guys know from the FUEL PUMP XS, size does matter big and fat. just like the owner...

Back to fuel pumps, which is easier to install? 392, or 255? We have an external setup already correct? I figure making at least 500rwhp - not a g54b so no lectures on how hard it is to make that kind of power ;) I know that 550rwhp on the 1jz is starting to push the walbro 255 to the limits, so im assuming it should be about the same for the 392.

I figure I will need to go with larger liunes, 3/8 stainless or aluminum? I can get 3.8 swag lock fittings for stainless all day long for free, dunno if they are right for the application though.

I guess I should ask on what install kit I will need since I will be going with larger fuel lines?

GSL392 is the Walbro 255.

Yes we have an external pump.

I bought a -8 fitting from where I got my Walbro from and strung a -8 line in with a washable EFI fuel filter.