Problems after oil seperator elimination.

i did this yeasterday evening

http://www.t-racing.com/starquest%20mods/o...elimination.htm

and a few minutes ago i stopped to fill the car with gas and heard a tapping noise under the hood.lifters were beating away trying to get out.

I took off my new breather cap from the valve cover and in less than 10 seconds,the tapping stopped.

wt....?Did i do something wrong?Anyone else ever have this happen?

i did this yeasterday evening

http://www.t-racing.com/starquest%20mods/o...elimination.htm

and a few minutes ago i stopped to fill the car with gas and heard a tapping noise under the hood.lifters were beating away trying to get out.

I took off my new breather cap from the valve cover and in less than 10 seconds,the tapping stopped.

wt....?Did i do something wrong?Anyone else ever have this happen?

You made things worse taking that seperator off, now your probably pressurizing your valvetrain.

I said it a million times leave that seperator on!! ;)

instead of capping off the other line, put a breather on that one too.  don't want a whole lot of pressure in there do you?  ;)

What are you supposed to do, if when you have the oil separator hooked up, and all you get is a lot of smoke.  I tried two different ones and every time I had it hooked up it smoked real bad.  Oil was all inside the turbo and all the hoses.  I have had it unhooked now for a month or so and no smoke at all.

What are you supposed to do, if when you have the oil separator hooked up, and all you get is a lot of smoke.  I tried two different ones and every time I had it hooked up it smoked real bad.  Oil was all inside the turbo and all the hoses.  I have had it unhooked now for a month or so and no smoke at all.

Yours is probably clogged then.  Follow the professor's guide for cleaning it out.

ADAM

the breather is off and the factory line is back on.Car runs fine.

:Posted by: truthoflife

instead of capping off the other line, put a breather on that one too.  don't want a whole lot of pressure in there do you?  :

I didnt capoff the other end...i left it open

the breather is off and the factory line is back on.Car runs fine.

:Posted by: truthoflife

instead of capping off the other line, put a breather on that one too.  don't want a whole lot of pressure in there do you?  :

I didnt capoff the other end...i left it open

People don''t realize that those valvecover breathers are not good on these motors...they, well, potentially give problems like you just had.

The entire seperator system is VERY good...the drawback is it coats your IC pipes with an oil aerosol....but overall a very good system. Of course I think the Krankvents are better but there also not cheap.

I use this additional foam oil seperator as it comes out the valve cover before going into the stock system. its like $5 from auto parts store. i never have any oil in intake issues. make sure the seperator and the drain isn't gunked up. take it off the car and either give it a bath in the parts washer or rinse it using some brake or carb cleaner.

http://home.earthlink.net/~artinist/images/breather.JPG

i like arts idea...art you got a part# or anything for that or can you just go in and say "i want an oil seperator" and they will know what your talking about?

in reply to my previous post....id guess teh oil coating isnt supposed to be there.

a little oil coating is just fine. too much will collect in the intercooler and will have to we cleaned out after a while.

the part I use is a pretty common part you can find at any store near the PCV valve section. its a Fram part made for the corvette and camaro.

I am once again going to try to hook it back up. I cleaned the extra one I have. I sprayed carb cleaner into it and blew it out with compressed air. I am also going to replace the bottom hose that goes to the oil pan. Everyone keep you fingers crossed that it will work right this time.

There's new topic on this at my forum on Starquest.i-x.net :wink: And I think this valve cover breaths as good as any I've ever seen. I'd also be watching my oil pressure gauge.........cause maybe you had starved the pump for oil and right about the time you removed the cap.......it picked up oil again.

Am I crazy? Or did you guys miss something? The line from the valve cover does NOT go to the top of the seperator.........as pictured in that topic. It goes to the SIDE PORT. Hey...........new PCV VENTING TRICKS are now on my website........headed to the topic at Starquest.i-x.net. :wink:

Like I said........there's a little confusion about crankcase venting going around. The only way you could build PRESSURE in the crankcase is if you blocked off ALL PORTS/OPENINGS etc.

What does the oil seperator do? It merely scavanges oil and sends it back to the pan. Do you need it? Hell, no. Why is hooked to the acordian? Why do you crack your window when you light up a smoke? The PASSING AIR over the hose creates a small VACUUM to DRAW the crankcase fumes into the the side of the oil seperator.......which has a "SCREEN" above it AND below it. The crankcase fumes are sucked out the top........and the OIL returns to pan via the bottom port. Which way do the FUMES move? BOTH WAYS. Just depends on where you have your foot on the throttle and vacumm/boost conditions.

Is there a better to vent the engine? You bet. You don't need to run a PCV valve.........there are other forms of vacuum to pick that won't INJEST crankcase fumes into your engine. First address below. :wink:

Am I crazy? Or did you guys miss something? The line from the valve cover does NOT go to the top of the seperator.........as pictured in that topic. It goes to the SIDE PORT. Hey...........new PCV VENTING TRICKS are now on my website........headed to the topic at Starquest.i-x.net. :wink:

Like I said........there's a little confusion about crankcase venting going around. The only way you could build PRESSURE in the crankcase is if you blocked off ALL PORTS/OPENINGS etc.

What does the oil seperator do? It merely scavanges oil and sends it back to the pan. Do you need it? Hell, no. Why is hooked to the acordian? Why do you crack your window when you light up a smoke? The PASSING AIR over the hose creates a small VACUUM to DRAW the crankcase fumes into the the side of the oil seperator.......which has a "SCREEN" above it AND below it. The crankcase fumes are sucked out the top........and the OIL returns to pan via the bottom port. Which way do the FUMES move? BOTH WAYS. Just depends on where you have your foot on the throttle and vacumm/boost conditions.

Is there a better to vent the engine? You bet. You don't need to run a PCV valve.........there are other forms of vacuum to pick that won't INJEST crankcase fumes into your engine. First address below. :wink:

i think this guys onto something... lol

Well, I'm not crazy (maybe blind) but I did look harder at the pics again. The blue hose will throw you. You need to look below it at the side port, it is plugged. However, if you are going to go this route........you should probably just remove the seperator, because removing the hose fron the valve cover is what this unit is all about. With what is left..........you are providing MOMENTARY HIGH VACCUM to the oil in the pan..........SUCKING IT UP THE RETURN HOSE! Hence............the engine could starve for oil. So.........star v8's problem could have happened this way.

That little blue breather filter is kinda cute. But once the filter becomes soaked in oil........it acts more like a PLUG than a VENT. You'll notice Art's setup has a HOSE that he VENTS over the side. Much better idea. In that fashion the oil seperator is just DEAD WEIGHT, or a NIPPLE if you plug the side port.........which (once again) you are drawing raw oil up the return line when the vaccum goes up in the accordian hose.

I drove the car for the first time since cleaning the separator today. It is still smoking. Is it possible that it could be pulling oil out from the oil pan? I have cleaned two of them now and neither one seems to work properly. I called Mitsu and they can no longer get one. Is it possible to attach a breather filter on the top port of the oil separator and the engine vent right? Also, would it leak oil out of it like they do when it is attached to the valve cover? I am sick of seeing oil blowing all over my engine when the oil separator is not hooked up and tired of it burning oil when it is hooked up. I need help!!!!!

How are you going to stop the boost from entering the motor without a PCV? You need some sort of checkvalve. So ya you do need a PCV type.

You talk about the Krankvents yet you have some crazy pic up of some lines set up on it that I dunno who put together! Then you roll the eyes like the system doesn't work.. lol

Crankvents are NOT pcv valves...they are a negative sump system.

Short of a vacuum pump you bring all those archaic breathing setups and I'll bring a CORRECT set up of Krankvents and we'll see whos motor is breathing better. :roll:

There's new topic on this at my forum on Starquest.i-x.net :wink: And I think this valve cover breaths as good as any I've ever seen. I'd also be watching my oil pressure gauge.........cause maybe you had starved the pump for oil and right about the time you removed the cap.......it picked up oil again.

It's the bottom end that doesn't breath good...see the block mods I did to counteract this?

Look at 3/4 and ntice all the metal removed.

Pressurebuilds from lower end up...then equalizes via the oil return ports in the head to the upper end of the motor so saying an actual valve cover breaths well is not very accurate. That's not the case here.

Removing baffles will only shoot oil everywhere. Not good to do at all.

http://a6.cpimg.com/image/80/35/19619456-6e64-02000180-.jpg

I never said to remove the baffles in the first place. They were removed from a TRASHED valve cover to show what was underneath them......because someone said there was a "ONE-WAY VALVE" in there. But the fact is you CAN remove them if you care to make some mods, like install AN bulkhead fittings.....open up the gates in the "fence" etc. And we'll show how to reinstall them, BTW. And you forgot to critisize me for cutting open an oil seperator. I'm going to Heli-arc a larger Ali. pipe to the valve cover.......but some guys might want to BOLT ONE THRU THE VALVE COVER.

This valve cover does breath as good as any STOCK valve cover but we're showing how to modify it for better venting. And you can do all the mods you want to open up up the bottom end/head and it won't make any differance because THERE IS A HUGE HOLE IN THE FRONT OF THE ENGINE WHERE THE TIMING CHAIN IS which connects to the oil pan which is WHY the PCV is baffled as well. Oil is slinging all over the PCV from the t-chain. How many square inches does one need from the pan to the head/valve cover when all it has is a 1/2" breather pipe? So we're showing how to ENLARGE THE VENT.........is that OK?

When you eliminate the PCV you eliminate the hose and plug the port in the manifold and valve cover and provide another sorce of vacuum to the rear vent. But I guess you missed the opening text. "several differant ways to vent" and the text is not nearly done yet either.

And someone else suggested that goofy PCV was Crankvent's. Sorry if they were incorrect. It was a junkyard engine. But I'll change the text just for you. That topic is far from done and there's more on my website. You can take those pics out of context too if you like.

I never said to remove the baffles in the first place. They were removed from a TRASHED valve cover to show what was underneath them......because someone said there was a "ONE-WAY VALVE" in there.

This valve cover does breath as good as any STOCK valve cover and you can do all the mods you want to open up up the bottom end and it won't make any differance because THERE IS A HUGE HOLE IN THE FRONT OF THE ENGINE WHERE THE TIMING CHAIN IS which connects to the oil pan.

When you eliminate the PCV you eliminate the hose and plug the port in the manifold.

And someone else suggested that goofy PCV was Crankvent's. Sorry if they were incorrect. But I'll change the text just for you. That topic is far from done and there's more on my website. You can take those pics out of context too if you like.

So you plug the port at the intake and valvecover and then what? You lose a valuable vac source (PCV) and depend on the seperator solely to pull the pressure? You then increase your oil 'aerosol mist' by 50% , mostly at idle to part throttle, so now you can pull all that right back thru the turbo? Is that really helping things? Why would you want to do that??

So you make an old school gravity breather and dyno the car? Then what? Or you rev hard to pull out of the hole and then what? Where is the scavenging effect? If a boosted G54B went on a dyno with an archaic gravity breather it would probably puke pressure.

It makes no difference if there is a timing cover there...look at other blocks...you won't see those thick walls. Those are left overs from a smog type pump for the G54B. They have no business in the lower end.

The pulses in the sump don't disperse well having those obstructions.

I'll bet my bottom dollar that is a major cause of the G54B not breathing well. The design and function alone dictate that.

If your telling me that opening up the bottom end will do NOTHING at all for improving the conditions in the sump then I have an engine here to show you Sir.

I guess you'll just have to wait for the rest of the pics and text. Any opening in the valve cover becomes a vent. So you could say the engine is vented. If you add a PCV........it now has POSITIVE CRANKCASE VENT but now the engine is forced to CONSUME the FUMES. If you add the oil seperator, you merely scavange some of the oil mist which the SEPERATOR CONDENSES back into liquid drops of oil (that's in the manual someplace btw) and the accordian draws in the remaining fumes. So under differant driving conditions.......high vac/boost, inbetween......the vent can work in both directions and it's not a great amount of movement. If you can eliminate the engine consuming this CRAP........MORE BETTER.

If you had a house with just 3 windows, one at each end and one in the middle, and you wanted a BREEZ BLOWING or SUCKING thru the house.......which two windows would you open? Now if you think opening a 3rd window will help make the breez better......go drill some holes in your vacuum cleaner hose and see how well it works. The idea being you want the breez to move in a particular direction.

Under boost, blow-by from piston #4 are drawn over the bottom cylinders 3 thru 1 (and they contribute more gunk)....up the front cover (and sometimes the PCV is helping here, cause guess where it is providing a VACUUM?)......across the valve cover to the vent on there way to the seperator.

Now if you really open up the oil drain back hole at the rear of the head.......it would be like cutting a a small hole in your vaccum cleaner hose LARGER. Now the vacuum is reduced to WHERE you wanted it in the first place. Now.....the engine still vents but you begin to disturb the POSITIVE part of the PCV.

Days gone by dragsters used to have 4 or more huge vents sticking right out of each valve cover. A PCV can't handle that amount of venting and it don't make HP. Great idea......oil all over the slicks. :lol: Better idea.......let the exhaust provide the vacuum via a BAFFLED VENT.

In the process of making the manual, it sometimes APPEARS we are performing a weird function. But I'll usually type in "MORE TO COME" on the last pic. So.......don't make 4 cuts across your cylinder head either. :lol: And some of those pics state......."Don't do it like this."