1G ('90-94) TURBO MAS conversion

Boosted_One

What is the best way to physically mount the 1GMAS so that is is not just resting on the inner fenderwell?  I have one all hooked up correctly, and just added Kelly's AHP, but the filter is just resting against the fenderwell.  What is the best way to mount it so that it is not just leaning up against anything??

Anybody else have any ideas about this?

• 2 weeks later...
OK, Ihave done the 1g conversion a few weeks ago while i had the manifold off(warped and cracked,gee,LOL!)and the first thing i noticed was that the engine idled alot better. also, i had a weird surge at the top end around 5400 rpm, that was gone until my tps went out! Any way i installed a air fuel gauge today and it says that im running rich at idleand full boost, but under decelleration it drops off the scale! Now keep in mind im at 1.15bar,around 19-20 psi, motor and injectors still stock, 122000 miles on it!!and abot 150 miles per tank, keep in mind that this car only leaves my shop to go to the track and to go for short blasts down the road. one more thing about this conversion that no one has talked about is their spark plugs!!Im a dealer for NOLOGY wires and i can tell you that i have them and another quester has got some from me,bp89,and those worked really well with the mas,any way the thing is that no one has said one thing about SPARK PLUGS!!!Come on people,more boost/fuel need cooler plug!NOT hotteras some people think. i was running BERU silvercore plugs #S5,that is their hottest plug,B4 the mas swap. after swap i noticed quite a bit of soot(unburned fuel!)around the plugs! So now i call DENZO and tell the engineer my problem and he said he had the answer which was thier new IRIDIUM plugs that run A HELL OF ALOT COOLER!!the plugs helped out because i was gettin spark"blow out"when i tried to go past 15 psi now there is no more problems.that soot on the plugs wasnt there B4 the 1G conversion beacause of the more fuel provided!!Has anyone tried to pass any smog tests with the 1G mod yet? ;D

Earlier in this post I said not to modify the unmetered section of the 1 G mas as it allows too muck air in and the stock injector becomes too small to keep up with the added air.

I have since found an 850cc injector that worked fine as a primary injector. It would idle in the stoich range of my halmeter a/f gauge.

I believe that a 2nd generation mas might also work with te 850cc injector. This 850-900cc injector can be fond as the secondary injrctor on '88 & '89 turbo colts. I have two injetors thatI am sending to RC Engineering today for a c;lean and flow to find out if indeed I do have 2 of these 850cc injctors. The 1 Gmas is a nice inceae and I believe tht the 2nd generation with proper fuel would prsent quite a HP jump! Mark

Will this mod pass smog? Thanks

WILL NOT pass CA smog.  The car ran too rich (CO) and was borderline or above all other readings.  Passed with flying colors when the stock MAS was put back on.

Thanks Kelly!

For anyone that cares, here are the pin outs for the 2 MAS sensors:

88/89 starquest

---------------------------------

| Power | Power | Air Sen. |

---------------------------------

| Temp. | Press. | Ground |

----------------------------------

1G turbo DSM

---------------------------------------------

| Power | Power | Air Sen. | Air Sen. |

| Temp. | Press. | Ground | ****** |

• 2 weeks later...

HELP NEEDED! ???

I HAVE A 87 TSI AND I PUT THE G1 INTAKE, WIRED IT PERFECT DOUBLE CHECKED BUT WHEN I STEP ON IT THE CAR STARTS TO SHAKE AND IT SOUNDS LIKE ITS GOIN TO SHUT OFF.  ON THE INTAKE THE ONLY THING CONNECTED IS THE WIRES.  THOSE ARE THE ONLY THINGS THAT GO IN.  THERE ARE ALOT OF HOSES NOT CONNECTED BUT THERE IS NOT WERE TO PUT THEM IM GOIN TO TRY TO GET A PICTURE BUT CAN SOME1 PLEASE HELP ME I DONT WANA TO THROW 50 DOLLARS DOWN THE DRAIN IM POOR!  THANKS!  YOU CAN EMAIL ME AT acefrompba@yahoo.com!  thanks!

HELP NEEDED! ???

I HAVE A 87 TSI AND I PUT THE G1 INTAKE, WIRED IT PERFECT DOUBLE CHECKED BUT WHEN I STEP ON IT THE CAR STARTS TO SHAKE AND IT SOUNDS LIKE ITS GOIN TO SHUT OFF.  ON THE INTAKE THE ONLY THING CONNECTED IS THE WIRES.  THOSE ARE THE ONLY THINGS THAT GO IN.  THERE ARE ALOT OF HOSES NOT CONNECTED BUT THERE IS NOT WERE TO PUT THEM IM GOIN TO TRY TO GET A PICTURE BUT CAN SOME1 PLEASE HELP ME I DONT WANA TO THROW 50 DOLLARS DOWN THE DRAIN IM POOR!  THANKS!  YOU CAN EMAIL ME AT acefrompba@yahoo.com!  thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
if you want to go big, skip the 2g and go the the GM MAFT 3bar set up.  http://www.dsmparts.com/maf_translator.htm it flows better than a 2g set up will and can be mounted up stream so you can vent into the autmosphere without problems. its a pretty good product cant tune as much as you can with an safc but i have heard of people running them together and getting some great results.    

• 4 weeks later...

Be careful plugging the hose from the top of the valve cover. I made that mistake...blew the plug out of the back of the head! (the one between the rear rocker shaft cap and head) That is the oil separator line and it acts somewhat as a crankcase pressure relief between the top and bottom end of the engine. I went to the parts store and bought a little breather filter that clamps to the tube on the valve cover and then plugged the hose from the oil pan that went to the separator cannister.

I do have a question though:

Do any of you with the 1g MAS conversion have a A/F meter?  How does yours idle? Mine idles at 2 bars rich. Is that normal? I didn't have the A/F when I had the stock MAS on it and have nothing to compare this to. It goes to 2-3 bars rich under full boost and load (16psi) Is my idle too rich at 2 bars?

Chris

Thanks for the correction Chris, I also had the valve cover nipple covered with a small breather!

The 1 G allows more air AND also more fuel. Mine did not idle rich though. How does yours idle? Also you shold have a 3 wire heated 02 sensor.

I had a Halmeter A/F and found it made a big difference where I grounded it. I finally had it a the thermostat housing for the best and the inner fender was the worst.

Mark,

I have found that with A/F meters, the closer you can get the A/F ground to the O2 sensor gound the better. In your case, the thermostat housing vs fenderwell.

I have a 1 wire O2 still...for now. I had a new single wire handy, so I used it. I will upgrade later.

Mine idles 1-2 bars rich.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Re: the 1g mas convert,  The ability to run hi boost without cut is appealing to me , but how is the gas mileage?  It sounds like you guys are rich all the time.....  does the vehicle go into closed loop like it should?(a/f meter pulsating rich to lean at warmed up idle)??  Mine is a daily driver and it can't be running rich all the time...

considring this mod....Matt

• 10 months later...

I have an 84 Starion w/ an 88 Motor, not sure what type of MAS is in there if its from the 84 or 88, will a 1g turbo mas setup work regardless for both an 84 and 88 starion mas?

does the wiring change?

some people mentioned just pluggin in the donar mas pins into the connector of your car, can this work in the starion as well?

pretty n00b, looking for all the help i can get on this mod, never done anything with wiring...BIG TIA

- bennett -

You most likely have an '88 mas. If the harness clips to the top of the air can lid you have an '88. If it goes to the bottom of the aircan, '84 and out of luck. See what you have and let us know. I did the hardwire/solder from the FAQinstructins, easy.Mark

You most likely have an '88 mas. If the harness clips to the top of the air can lid you have an '88. If it goes to the bottom of the aircan, '84 and out of luck. See what you have and let us know. I did the hardwire/solder from the FAQinstructins, easy.Mark

I'll check it out and get back to you, if i have an 84, could i get an 88 maf and splice in the turbo 1g mafs setup still?

• 3 weeks later...

I just received and installed my 1G MAS & 1G clip. I did it jus as was described in Mike K's 1st post.

My car is an 88 with no upgrades except 2.5" exhaust. I have a stock boost gauge. Before I did the swap my gauge said I was getting up to a steady 10 pounds of boost, but since I did the swap to 1G it says I'm maxing out at 7 pounds.... What's the deal? Anyone got an idea?

I'm pretty sure I hooked it up right (wiring one at a time). And I took the vacuum line from the boost solenoid and hooked it into the 1G lid. And plugged the hose that goes to the stock air can lid (from bottom of accordian hose). What did I do wrong?