Awards

UltimateLurker

I had a dream last night that I got an award from Starquestclub.com, it wasn't anything much, just a little gold thingie in my sig and my own thread in the "Award Forum".  I woke up and was like..."wt....", it took me a moment to realize that it wasn't real..."whew".  Anyway, I started thinking about it and the idea itself sounds pretty cool.

I'm thinkin' that we could give awards for specific acts, threads, or even personalities.  Of course, rules would need to be made...which takes time (you guys aren't busy enough already...lol), but give it some thought.

Ryddler: MVP '02

UL: Most Controversial '02 ;D

Mike C.: Guru at large '02

Shelby117: Most helpful mechanic '02

Maxwelhse: Best Bull-$h177er '02

Etc...

C'mon, it'd work right?  It'd be nice to be able to click on someone's name and see an award for "Guru at large '02" or such, wouldn't it?

;D

Well, in theory it's a good idea...I guess.  More like, I really WANT to think it's a good idea.  Sounds more like "Senior Superlatives" ("Most likely to piss off a tailgater with the cunning use of a Chanel compact" and the like) than awards.  I don't have any objections to it per se, and it could be fun in theory but I don't know how it would work in application because hey, even Communism works on paper.

My only concern is that it could be the same as the recognition for donating to the site.  Devisive and what not.  

Either way, I'm sure that dream was more interesting than the ones where you jump off the Washington Monument into a pile of cigars.  ;)

my only problem is for those who get upset cause they thought they should have one a category... and how would u figure out if a poll is done... say after 100 replys to the poll or what????

turboTSI

You know, I've actually had this idea recently, of making awards or something to recognize people on the boards.  I like the idea, and I'd go along with it. I was thinking that one could add "Funniest post" "Best Troll" (of course that's not really applicable to our forums) and some others I can't even think of right now. Let's do it NOW!!!   ;D

There was a system somewhat like this on a technology forum that I used to visit religiously, before I got my Starion.

The way that system worked wasn't really for awards, more like a points system.

People that had a very helpfull or very thoughtfull reply could possibly get a point added to thier total, based on each moderators perception.

Let's say you were the first guy to think of the 1gMAS upgrade, and posted it on the forum as a new great mod. Since we all know how well this mod has helped most owners, that user would of got a point or even two for bringing a well needed upgrade to our cars.

Other things could be a user having a problem with thier car, and someone replys with a very descriptive and helpful post, when others didn't reply or just didn't know how to address the situation. That could deserve a post.

The problem with the later possibility, is that this forum already has a very large database of information covering the most common issues. So most of the time, alls' one needs to do is direct the user in distress to the post that already covers the issue. Not much effort to do that.

Maybe a points system could be used in tandum with the "Awards System"?

Points could be tallied throuhgout the year, and in the end a appropriate award could be given. But that would require a very detailed and complex points system.

The moderators are not going to want to make notes of every point given' to remember why the user deserved that point when the end of the year came around.

It's a interesting idea, and I've seen it tried before.

The users loved it, becuase it gave a idea of which posters really knew what they were talking about, but the moderators got tired of assigning points, when they knew that there were many posts that may of deserved points, but they just didn't see them to give any points to them. Thus, it was not a entirely fair system.

I feel that this would be a very neat idea, but that it probably can not be done in a way that would not make more repiticious work for the moderators.

Yet again, I am not a pro web designer. If the moderators/designers of this forum can find a way to impliment this, it could really add to the community.

They'd also have to find a way to maintain the integrity of the system.

If it is automated too much, then it can be spoofed and therefore not be a accurate representation of the holder of that award.

Interesting indeed.

my only problem is for those who get upset cause they thought they should have one a category... and how would u figure out if a poll is done... say after 100 replys to the poll or what????

turboTSI

It's an honor just to be nominated.  :P