interior differences?

The Driverside knee gaurd and fuse panel cover,center console,the shelf under the radio is different do to the seatbelt controller box under it.The plastic around the colum is different and the tilt rod and handle.The foot gaurd panel under the dash on the pass side,the speaker grills, the guage panel idiot lights are different. The raer seats and the glove box have suddle differences. I have an 89 and 86 guests tsi sitting next to each other in my garage.

yo 860, that seatbelt control box thing; is that the only thing behind the radio? that little ecu thing? and if so, does it only control the seatbelts? has nothing to do w/ the climate control or cluster lights or brake lights?

The box controls the seat belts from what I remebered,I'll check tonight.The box sits in between the bottom of the shlef and the hump. It's screwed down,you can un screw it and move it back,theres some slack you can get out of the wires. The box is for the automatic seat belts.

oh and yes that is the only box there,there are other things around that area though but probaly won't effect anything.

My 87 has shoulder belts in the back

That's interesting.  Tony Waldrop gave me that bit of info and yours is the first I've heard of with rear shoulder belts that isn't an '89.  My '89 is the only one I've had that has rear shoulder belts too.  My '85, '87 and '88 did/don't have them.  Do you think there's a possibility of previous owners putting shoulder belts in it?

-Tim

Pardon me, I'm stupid on this one.  If the 87 has a different seat shape than the 88-89, the main difference is the grain in the pleathor on at least the rear trim.  The 88 has a corse grain and the 89 is fine grain.  And at least on the sample I have the 88 is harder than the 89.  The 89 has been parked outside a maximum of 830 days.  365 X2 =730 + 100 =830

2= years i didn't own it

100= maximum days it has spent the night.....shhhhh.... outside.

E-Mann