Fiberglass Idea - windshield wipers area -

Dcrasta

Ok the vent panel between the hood and the windshield bothers me.  I see the possibility of mounting a fuel pressure gauge (cheaply) outside the car with a specially made vent cover there.  Hard to explain but look at that plastic area I think it can be used :)  

Kind of like an external gauge pod using that area..

I will take some measurements of the stock piece and work from there.  (but im not creative with fiberglass LOL. )

but my question is what are the vents for. Are they there for only the freash air on the a/c or something more? It dose sound cool though. If you have the pods molded in. it would be like those tachs they had on the old muscle cars on the hood.

I did that mod minus the guage pods to the truck I own and the front window would fog up every time the engine got warm.  I just filled it in with fiber glass and sanded it down then painted it, looked perfect.  On the truck the fresh air inlet for the HVAC is under the hood cowl behind the fender well.  I had to go back and buy a new cowl and I was out 6 hours of labor + materials.  So I'm guessing the cars are the same way?  Removing the windshield wiper sounds like a good idea untill you do it.  It's a pain to carry them in the car and then have to stop every time it rains or whatever.  The best way that I found was to try different wiper arms that sat lower on the windshield.  It is possible to make a carbon fiber cowl and cut holes for the vents and fill the holes with stainless steel mesh or powder coated mesh.

E-Mann

Sounds good if u keep the vents .  I want to do something where I take the stock pieces out and replace it with something slicker (carbon sounds sweet) with gauge pods maybe fuel ,  maybe a oil temp gauge but have it real clean like part of the car.  Would be sweet to make some fiberglass mold that fit correctly..

• 1 month later...
The Info I found here.. http://www.fibreglast.com/content.php?URLI...trksrc=FreeInfo

Makes me feel I can use the old vents for a plug to make a mold (After I mock up the pods on the old vents.  Im still researching this.. I will do some cardboard mockups soon..

Actually an ex member here did create a smooth cowl hood. He is going to mount 2 guages under the cowl on the drivers side.

Practically invisible from outside the car, but as soon as you sit in it, they are in clear view and protected from the elements somewhat.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm going to try something similar to this. A little mesh so The windows don't fog and only use one wiper. I'll will be working on this thru the winter along with some other body mods. Hopefully by spring have it all done and ready for paint.