power steering

hey all, is it okay to not have the power steering??? there seems to be a leak in the power steering line somewhere so everytime i put some in, it just flushes it all out within 15mins. of driving the car. My brother is driving it now and it doesn't have any power steering. Is this bad for the car? thanks...

If you are driving it like that you should yank the PS belt.

Its not good the steering coupler  wont like it.  If the line leaks near the pump check the metal line that goes into the pump   if its loose use a flare nut .  The flare likes   to crack. I got a new line from gates it was 77 bucks.  To replace the line is not fun  to do the connection at the steering box (The other end of the hp line)  required a 14mm flared crowfoot socket..(wrench adapter goes on the  rachet).. u have to find out where its leaking pour the atf in and watch it leak   out .. if its all gone fast sounds like hp leak   .. :( sorry sucks I  went through it 3 months ago.  And dont bother buying a used line I  did that and it didnt work the used one  cracked.. Gates and goodyear both make nice ones..

Yah definilty dont waste your time on a used line, I went that route and it lasted 3 months.  I then got one at Advanced Auto surprisingly, I got it next day with a one year warranty for $35!  And the new one is made in America, kinda funny, the threads are metric but the bolt is 9/16th!!  LOL  Definitly not fun to change if your car is stock under the hood.  

i have everything under the sun eliminated so its no to bad, still not my favorite thing to replace.

• 1 month later...
And once you get that sorted out you'll start blowing seals in the box itself.  I've been through 3.  All used though.  Currently have a welded steering column bushing and no power steering... and I still have 45 degrees of play in the steering wheel.

And once you get that sorted out you'll start blowing seals in the box itself.  I've been through 3.  All used though.  Currently have a welded steering column bushing and no power steering... and I still have 45 degrees of play in the steering wheel.

How's that R&P coming?  Wasn't the rack from a 240?

:)

It should be ready sometime next week!  I've had the 240SX crossmember bolted up via some quick adapter plates for a few months now.  I'm also using 240SX control arms, hubs and 300ZX 4piston calibers (eventually).

I've been waiting to get done my last big semester at college (2 classes to go!).... finals are on monday.. after that I have 5 days with no work and no school.

Gotta also fix up the street car (crashed it yesterday) and fix some things that were going bad on it... and I got all my 2.4L wideblock parts so I should be able to assemble my motor next week too if I have time.

• 2 weeks later...
I went through the same thing. Went to Autozone and picked one up for 30 bucks and installation was just not cool. I ended up having to cut the lines and pull the end off with a deep 14mm socket.