steers all over the road help!!!

hunter1

Ok so i am new to this site i just bought a 87 quest, I have read alot about this steering link and how it will help with play in the steering wheel, However my problem is the car is all over the road every little groove or crack in the road the car wants to follow it so you have to hold on to the wheel or you will be all over the place anypne else experience this problem, and what do i need to do, to get it fixed. In advance thanks for any and all replies

These cars like alot of 4 wheel independant suspension cars are sensitive to alignment (front and rear) and if its not right they will 'tramline'   Here is a good article I found..

http://www.autospeed.com/cms/A_879/article.html

As far as correcting the problem, new these cars had a reputation for tramlining.  Worn suspension (Tie rod ends, links etc), worn tires, low air pressure all that can make it worst.  I had a 240 z that would tramline if the front tire pressure was off by more than 5 psi.  GOod luck im fighting an issue with mine also but I know I have worn tires..

My Starion used to womder all over the place. It was dangerous to drive and switch lanes. It would jump over once it hit the groves in the road. I had Dunlops on it then. I switched to Bridgestones and it rode quieter and doesn't wonder anymore. If the alignment is good and there are no worn parts then it's tires.

Just my .02 worth, but after you check your tires, you might want to check your tie-rod ends just to be sure you don't  have any other problems - my whole front-end had to be rebuilt (spelled $$$$!) and the link INSIDE the steering column had to be replaced, as it was just short of coming apart!  I've always liked Goodyear tires myself!

• 2 weeks later...

bad shocks will also sometimes allow a car to wander.

my car has bad tramline problems. my shocks are bad (saving for new ones) but i think my main problem is toe.  having one or both tires out of adjustment on toe would pull you all over.

i need an alignment.  my car has always tracked all over, but i have yok AVS sports on the front, and i don't think they are the problem.