what are good brake pads for street use

I need some pads for my car. I have used Rebco pads n the past and they were pretty good, but i was looking at getting the Axxis metal masters. I am not sure if these are ceramic or not. anybody know?

I found those to be around $45 for fronts and $30 for rears on the net.

i already have racing pads, what I need are some good pads for everyday use.

what else is good these days, any recommendations?

I was under the impression Repco=PBR=Axxis. I think they're all the same company... ???

In any event, Axxis MM are semi-metallic pads. In my experience they brake well, seem to be pretty rotor friendly, they aren't too dirty, and mine haven't made any noise in 3K miles. I like them.

Does anyone make ceramic pads for the starquest?

yep, Repco=PBR=Axxis seems to be correct. that leaves performance friction and hawk. I will make some calls and see what i can find.

Axxis has 3 lines of pads: the deluxe, metal masters, and ultimate. ultimate is ceramic but i am not yet sure if they have those for our car.

Here is the low down on pads:

Hawk and PFC(performance friction) have nothing for our cars.

and axxis only offers the deluxe(organic crap) and the metal masters for our cars.

nobody has ceramic pads to fit ours.

ok other than the raybestor junk, here is what we have to work with

Axxis Metal masters Front $55 & Rear $35

Porterfield "R4S" Front $80 & Rear $70

the porterfields street pads are still too expensive but if racing pads are what you are looking for, nothing comes close to their "R4" kevlar pads which are around $130

because they are most likely made of the cheapest material and will fade when used heavily.

I found this guy on ebay who is selling the metal masters for $75. thats for the  fronts and backs. I will see if he delivers as promissed.

other than the metal particles, the cermic content stands to heat better than the rest of the mobojombo that a pad is composed of, and they tend to be quieter.

the rotex pads are also standard replacement, not really geared for highperformance use.

hmm, that place seems cool. i will check with that ebay seller to see if he can get the ultimate pads. i have not seen any other place have a listing for those.

the only rotex i was able to find were regular metalic pads. where did you see the ceramic ones?

i bought the bendix top of the line from advance auto parts and really dont like them.   they dust big time, like i need to wash my wheels every couple days and they squeal like stuck pigs.  on the upside they do stop pretty nice.   however i wonder if this might not be due to me abuseing the brakes pretty bad when they was new.  i put them on on wed. before leaving to go to pigeon forge on friday. on sat. we ran the tail of the dragon and i know i cooked them pretty good.  they started to squeal in about an hour of letting them cool off. still havent shut up. will be replacing them with something better.

I bought some Axxis Ultimates (front only) and Metal Masters (Rear) from some guy on Ebay many months ago.  It's probably been a year+ since I bought them.  The only problem is that I haven't put them in.  They've just been sitting in my parts collection.  I could snap some pics of the pads and part numbers for you Art.  Let me know.

When I was in Ohio I asked my cousin's fiance how he like the Ultimates on his WRX and he liked them other than the fact that they create a lot of dust.

-Tim

I just put ceramic pads on the front of my 85.5 Starion last week. They stop twice as good as the old pads I took off. Plus, my wheels are still clean. They were only $29 + Tax. I don't remember who makes them But I still have the box out in the shop. I'll take a look and post if anybody is interested.

Professor

Also tell us where you got them at that price. i just ordered the axxis metal masters for the back from brakewearhouse, and they were around $30. no ceramics available for the rear.

The box says "Evolution Ceramic Disc Brake Pads". Made by Competion Friction and Universal Brake Parts. I buy a lot of parts from Cost Less Auto Parts in Vancouver, Washington which is where I got these. They come with the shims attached to the pads too. They were $29. With tax $32

Professor

thats a great price. the only online place that I was able to find these was at the universal brake homepage @ www.universalbrake.com but their parts search page was not working.

several days ago i ordered a set of metal masters for the rear breaks from brakewarehouse.com, they check on the part and took the order and yesterday they called and said only the deluxe pads are avilable for the rears.

pissed me off. i just ordered a set of metal matrix pads from stillen.

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...