Best Brakes

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update on the 13" setup.  Nice, very nice!  I started off with the street pads and was kind of let down as I was still expecting great performance but after talking with the tech guys at Willwood I realized that I was in fact using a street pad.  After switching to a race compound for my event the brakes were awesome.  

Of course I know that race pads make all the difference in the world after all there coefficient of friction is nearly twice that of street pads but man do they sqeeeeeel on the street.   I was braking deeper and harder into the turns with more confidence than ever, usually it's accompanied with a spike in adrenaline and a shaky leg.  

There are a few mods that tend to make me say wow and why did I wait so long to do it.  This is one of them.    

Later Ron Later Ron

Ron,

Sounds like a hit.  I'm running 17" wheels right now and am very intrested in both your kit and the one Oscar is putting together.  However, I don't really have the money for any more upgrades right now.  Never the less keep me posted on when and how much and what exactly you kit will be.

-Kris

Yeah why did you wait so long to do it!  I remember talking suspension and brakes with you this time last year.  I know 90% of the braking is done in the front but I would like to at least upgrade the rear calipers.  Are you going to be doing anything with the rear setup?  The one thing nice about precision brakes setup is you can buy ea component, I am just in awe that a real company put together a kit for the starquest with the help of OTG.  Ron on the camber plates from ground control are they front only?

Just an update on the 13" setup.  Nice, very nice!  I started off with the street pads and was kind of let down as I was still expecting great performance but after talking with the tech guys at Willwood I realized that I was in fact using a street pad.  After switching to a race compound for my event the brakes were awesome.  

Of course I know that race pads make all the difference in the world after all there coefficient of friction is nearly twice that of street pads but man do they sqeeeeeel on the street.   I was braking deeper and harder into the turns with more confidence than ever, usually it's accompanied with a spike in adrenaline and a shaky leg.  

There are a few mods that tend to make me say wow and why did I wait so long to do it.  This is one of them.    

Later Ron Later Ron

Hello Ron

Boy there's a whole lotta things on this site I have not bother with in a while...

Well I have to say NICE 13" set-up you got there, I wanted to get the 13" but they would not fit the OEM wheels like you said. If only these cars came with a better wheel offsets on a 17" then that will be some serious stopping power. I was told if the car came with 17" they could squeez a 14" rotor in there.

But its also true what you mentioned everybody spends money trying to go fast but they TOTALLY ignore the fact that eventually they have to stop.

As far as affordability goes I decided to make the kit available in parts as so all can purchace what they can afford  and build it up at their own pace instead of just the FULL KIT price. If you can offer your 13" kit for the guys running 17" wheels I think you will get some custumers.

I have to honor your proffesionalism on this matter as not to offer the same kit I was working on, and to be honest with you this is the first time I've seen this post, this is the first time I visit this section of the board. I had no idea you were working on this set-up, if I did I would of asked you to help me in the development of the system that is now finally available.

Thanks and I had to bookmark your page, Ilove those camber plates but if I am not mistaken they can ONLY be used with the Coil Over set-up from Ground Control right ? I was looking into that set-up but could not ditch out $800.00 for the Coilovers and plates.

While on the topic what rate springs are you running on the Coils ?

I have the TEP Race OEM Style Coils and I feel happy with them as far as the track events and Hot Lapping I do but have no idea as the rate.

Also what Shocks are you running ? I am running Koni's Adj. Love them...

Again thanks for the KUDOS on my KIT as I can say the same for yours as you can see the MONSTER calipers and rotors alot better through those 17" wheels.

Hi Oscar,  I'm running 600lb fronts and 400 lb rears with KYBs.  I started off with the recommended spring rate and found it way to soft even with the ST swaybars it still felt like driving a marshmellow on the track.  If I was going to fully race this car I would go even stiffer but it's a good compromise between street and track driving.  I think I could benifit from better struts but the're not at the top of my list yet but getting close.  I guess if I notice dampening issues on the track I would upgrade but I'm happy with the on track feel, it's very smooth at race speed. I have people comment on how flat the car stays yet the ride is smooth (on the track).   Just as a personal note, most of the guys running just the swaybars think their cars are staying flat, they have no idea.

Yes 14" rotors will fit in my 17s but the price of the rotors is a Bit more!  I can also directly swap in the 6 piston billet superlites.  Have you tried this with your setup?

As far as a direct drill and bolt in setup the GC camber plates would need to be used with a coil-over setup.  I'm working on a less expensive camber plate setup (about half the price) and will keep you informed.  Also working on a coil over setup that's much cheeper.

Someday I'll finish up my website.  

Later Ron

you can give me a ring if you want  480-236-3488

• 4 months later...

here is my 2 cents.

i have visited the track numerous time and i use and abuse the car. using race tires put real stress on the brakes. but the poor stock things were doing just fine. not once did they fade. but the rears were bothering me. the rear brakes were fading and the car was not very balanced going into turns with the fronts doing all the work.           here is what i had.

stock rotors: no cooling ducts.

TEP SS lines(they suck)

front - porterfield carbon/kevlar(amazing but true)

rear - rebco metalic pads

what would i change other than the rear pads? try to make the setup lighter by:

find or have someone make custom rotors with an aluminum hub thats lighter.

try to put some aluminum  caliper like the one from a 3000GT or corvette on the stock rotor.

• 2 weeks later...

My first suggestion would be to buy a matching set of rear pads!  Yes I know they're $130, I have a set in the tool box.   75% left going for $50 shipped if your interested.  

Other than that I would eliminate the ABS and install a proportioning valve.  You may want to get a "NEW" master cylinder.  I've had masters that worked fine on the street but take them out to the track and abuse them and they start to fail.  Lightening your brake setup will not fix your problem.  

I never noticed a problem with the rears brakes on mine, just the fronts.

How much are you willing to spend?

One other point the Front pads you have increase their coefficient of friction as they get hot.  You may be noticing the fronts are just out performing the rears when they heat up and the rears are more of a replacement pad and not designed to function like the fronts.   Mine were better after warming up!

Later Ron

• 5 weeks later...

the picture below looks to be a 3000GT caliper on a starion using the stock rotors. but it looks like i am going to try to use a 2piston caliper from a 88-96 corvettes and late model cameros(like the ones used by Baer brakes) and 12in rotors from a mustang or supra (which are more meatier than our stock ones). i dont want to have to worry abouth wheel fitment even though I will be using 17in wheels, this way others can use the bracket as well. this setup will be plenty of power. dont need 13in brakes. once i get the bracket made correctly, it will be a piece of cake to replicate in higher numbers. this way everyone can go the junkyard and pick up these calipers for little money and the rotors are plenty as well.

http://home.earthlink.net/~artinist/images/3000gtcaliper.jpg

You will need to machine the mustang rotors hub diameter or the Quest hub.  I don't know about the Toyota Rotor  Also the offset for the Mustang rotor will most likely hit the stock rim with the caliper.  

Later Ron