my system

chuck641

My system hasn'e broken my window yet but it hits hard from what people tell me even though I wouldn't mind it being harder.

Kenwood v7017 head unit

pioneer 6.5 3 ways rear

infinity 5.25 2 way front

2 rear tweeters

mtx 750 old school amp

2 jl audio 12's

1 farad battery cap.

I love seeing people roll up their windows when I am next to them.   ;D

wmss33

Yeah,

Im running Three Tens in the back hatch in one Mono fiberglassed box. and havent broken the rear hatch yet. However I dare not have all windows closed at the same time,  i would difinately blow the windows then. I am going to try and replace the rear hatch glass with lexan, so i can take the car to a DB Drag even and measure my SPL. Ill let you guys know how it goes.

Later,

TurboBladz

Unless you've got a cracked window or windshield, it takes a whole heck of a lot more than just 2-3 10's to break glass, or even negatively affect molding.

Stock glass and most molding can handle db's in excess of 150db. I've seen a CRX hitting 152's loose it's top windshield trim, and I've seen other car's hit closer to a 158 with all stock window treatment. It's not until you get to and above the 160's that you really need to worry about Lexan and Armored car treatments, due to the intense pressures that will be produced inside the vehicle.

you know i really want to get a exh cut-out on my 5.0 capri, right behind the full-length headers, so when somebody pulls up beside me with music that loud, mostly likely ©rap, i can open the cutout, and rev her up to about 4000, and the cutout would have to aim at their cars, i would also be nice to have a 2-step ign. then i could just nail it until they are gone. :)

just something i want to do

haha

jeff s

Why on earth would you put 6x9's in the doors? A great sound stage can be acheived by installing a 61/2 mid woofer in the doors with a 4" in the dash and a tweeter on the highest most foward part of the door panel, close to the 4". All 3 speakers can be part of a 3way component set. When I installed mine I had to make custom wood plates to fill the gap on the metal part of the door just forward of the map pockets to mount the woofer into through the hole cut in the door panel. my car sounds awsome!! Speakers were meant to be round, square or octagon but not oval!

haha i was thinking that to myself when i was about halfway thru cutting the holes .. and especially when my window broke.  but i had the 6x9's i had only used them in my truck for like a month then took them out so they were layin around and my front speakers were blown so i was gonna take my speakers out of the back and put them up front and put the 6x9s in the back but it looked a lot easier to make the hole bigger up front than it did in the back.  so i got out the ol' sawzall and elongated the factory hole a little bit, mounted the speakers to the doorpanel and they went right in.  they sound good tho  .. a whole lot better than what was in there

Unless you've got a cracked window or windshield, it takes a whole heck of a lot more than just 2-3 10's to break glass, or even negatively affect molding.

Stock glass and most molding can handle db's in excess of 150db. I've seen a CRX hitting 152's loose it's top windshield trim, and I've seen other car's hit closer to a 158 with all stock window treatment. It's not until you get to and above the 160's that you really need to worry about Lexan and Armored car treatments, due to the intense pressures that will be produced inside the vehicle.

As I recall CA&E said 172 db is the point at which body panels bend and glass breaks. Most of the body armored cars out there (except for the top dogs) are just to keep engery in the car for higher SPL.

I've seen a totally stock truck hit 162 db without any trouble. Granted it was only about a 3 second burp.

To the rest of you guys, if someone says their subs broke their window, they are lying (call them out on it, it will be fun!). :) Unless, as Jack said, they had a crack to begin with.

• 1 year later...
i've got two kicker solo baric 10 old school.  a kicker 1000 with 2 sony 5 3/4 in the door with 6 3/4 in the back sony disk changer and sony i.c.e system and it hits hard as crap. I have not put it on a mic yet cuz it is some old stuff laying around but when it hits i have notinced that the back glass flexes and because all there is, is glass on the hach it should handle more that 3 tens or 3 twelves.!! ;D

Here's mine:

Clarion Pro Audio 7770 deck

Clarion Pro Audio 920 EQ

Clarion Pro Audio 6 disc changer under drivers seat

MTX 6.5 component sets in the door and my rear speaker pods that cver the 1/4 windows

Rockford Fosgate Punch 60 running my components

Rockford Fosgate Punch 100 running 1 JL Audio 12W0

http://oklahomaspeed.com/pics/interior3.JPG

http://oklahomaspeed.com/pics/stereodone1.JPG

http://oklahomaspeed.com/pics/interior22.JPG

On a side note:

Way to resurect a thread. Before today, the last post was 9-02

• 1 month later...
sony deck                                                                                                                      blaupunkt eq                                                                                                                  menphis audio dash+doors                                                                                            rears "still workin on that"                                                                                             2 12" audiobahn dvc's custom fiberglass enclosure                                                       ultamit audio 1600 amp        and thats it for now

Eclipse deck

polk 6 1/2 component system in the front with polk crossover

eclipse 4" in the dash

eclipse 6' in the rear

Polk Momo 12" pushin the bass with a custom box

600 watt legacy for the sub

400 watt jensen for the components

by the way, fastquest, your right about that sound stage, however, the 6x9's are awesome in the back, in the door they aren't good cause they are too low to the ground, the tweeters in them point directly to the floor, if they are put in the back, they are a perfect supplement for the subs, they handle the low mid bass that a sub can't hit and the 6 1/2's are too small for, and the tweeters give you the highs since the tweeters don't quite get the highs to the back too well, this allows you to set your subs at a lower frequency, and you don't have to worry about your 6 1/2's goin to low and blowin the surround

Mike

Rockford Fosgate RFX9000 Mp3 deck

JL audio TR series interiors

15" Audiobahn Sub

600 Watt Audiobahn intake series amp powering the interior speakers

1000 watt Kenwood amp powering the sub

1 Farad Audiobahn farad cap  (works freaking wonders ;) )

Optima red top battery