Need a little help here

Starcon88

Hey guys, got a question. I want to put a 10in Rockford with a 200 watt amp in my quest with stock stereo, how could I go about that? My friends have aftermarket CD players and they have like RCA cables and remote wires to huck up the amp and such. All I want is my quest to have one single 10in in the back for the added bass. Thanks alot

Kurt

I would advise to AT LEAST upgrade the deck, then you'll have no problems. The stock alt should be fine with that kind of amp too.  Some amps have "speaker level inputs", i've actually never installed a amp without RCA's. The input may or maynot let you run a amp without the RCA's.  

Where's INDY at? He'll probably know....

John

You can buy whats called a "knock down converter" or "line out converter" It hooks up on one end to your speaker wires from your factory deck. It converts that signal to an RCA that can be ran to your amp. Some amps have "high level inputs" where basically you splice into the factory speaker wires and that give you your signal. I don't really like those setups- too much distortion usually.

Knock down con. work really good I had to put one on the Monsoon system in my Grand Am GT to add a sub. The one I bought has a gain on it so you can drill a hole in the console and use that knob as your sub volume.

I think the brand I bought was American International. Hope this helps

Kurt,

I have tried this and unfortunately in the Starquest it does not work well.  There is too much distortion and feedback.  I suspect it is from the electrical system being marginal from the factory.  I would upgrade the head unit and the sky is the limit.  You have already upgraded the alternator so power should not be an issue as long as the rest of the electrical system and the car is functioning properly.

good luck

gary  

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 10 inch in the back of my Quest and I didn't opt to go with the RCA. I have the stock radio too. I'm pretty sure they just spliced into the output from the back of the radio and then they just ran speaker wire to the box and hooked up the wires. Works pretty well.

Draggin_Quest