single DIN CD player installed in radio pocket!?

OPTIMUSPRIME

Im thinking of doing this, placing a single din CD player in the radio pocket(i believe it works with FM signal) Anybody done this? any pics? does mitsubishi carry a single din that i could place on the pocket? i think a mitsubishi din would look good in there. thankx

If you mave a model with auto seatbelts, you will have to move the control module. If you do that, you should be able to put a single din unit there. I put an EQ unit in that location, but it was only a face. Just 1/2" thick. Pics under My Install.

yes pocket under radio[ftp]Crutchfield.com - CD Changers, Universal Add-on[/ftp](no turner)... i saw a couple of cd players here that would work with FM freq. radio(they dont have fm/am radio) hey, if i only need brakets to install i might get this as long it reads burned CD's. but..hhhhhhhhmmmm thinking about it i have an auto trans and might have to put it in drive to put the CD in...oh well...something to think about :P

Personally, unless you just like the factory set-up, I would go with a new complete unit.  Even a cheap unit will sound better that an FM modded cd.  I've heard that there is even aftermarket devices which alow the steering wheel buttons to work.

• 1 month later...

Optimus,

Seriously man, get a new stereo. It is not that hard to install. Plus an aftermarket radio makes all the difference in the world in sound quality, even with stock speakers. My pioneer bolted right up to the factory mounts without a problem. I didnt use the 'anti-theft' bracket that comes with it because you can just yank the stereo out if you use it. It makes it easier to get to the back if you use it but I would rather not have it stolen ($350) By bolting it directly to the mounts you cant get it out! It sits flush on the top and to the sides. Plus this allowed me to install my turbo timer, boost and A/F under the radio in the space that I saved by using a single din radio.

Double din - the height of the stock radio

Single din - half the size of the stock radio, same height as your normal stereo's sold today. Plus you can install a DVD player or TV in one of the dins if you want. Play xbox while driving! Sega GT for xbox has a starion!