12V power question for SDS system.

Why not use the stock ECU power?  It is a large gage wire and it won't be running any other systems when you convert.  If you tie into another system, it will draw the power down to an unacceptable level when both systems are in use.  If you can, it would be best to connect direct to the battery (with an inline fuse ofcourse).

I never fire anything off of the coil. That's a no no in my personal book. I never want to drop any power from the coil in any way...

If I am not mistaken I fire my injectors off the battery and I know for certain my SDS runs off my stock ECU power wire.

My problem is I am still using the factory ECU. I have the SDS D system and its only running the fuel not ignition. The ecu is controlling everything else. Will I drain my battery if I attach them straight to the battery?

Jonathan

My problem is I am still using the factory ECU. I have the SDS D system and its only running the fuel not ignition. The ecu is controlling everything else. Will I drain my battery if I attach them straight to the battery?

Jonathan

Your ECU is of no use with an aftermarket fuel ECU. ECU doesn't control timing anyhow our timing is mechanical with a mechanical retard and back up retard device (ignitor).

So in other words you don't need the stock ECU in.  :)

My TECII is currently using the coil + as a switched power. i am going to switch over to the wiper motor tomorrow.

you cant use the power from the stock fuel pump wire to trigger a relay. if you are not using the stock system, i dont think anything will power the fuel pump in the first place.

the fuel pump should be rewired with a descent gauge wire and relay.

I believe the best way to do it is the same way your ECU got its power... From the ignition harness.  That is how I set them all up on any car I've installed an ECU in.

Joel

I powered my sds off my ecu power (big blue wire) and connected my injectors and coilpacks ( I have the F) strait to the battery, you want them to have that constant solid source, and unless the ecu is getting power the injectors aren't grounded and aren't pulling any power. Make sure to put an inline fuse between the injectos and battery and a 1 amp between the ecu and its power. BTW, I got the ecu power from the blue wire where it goes to the ecu and I used one of those clip 3 way things so that my factory wiring would be undamaged. I had a hell of a time finding the fuel pump wire, so I just put 12v in where the test leed is in the pass. side fender. good luck.

Danny

• 3 weeks later...
Whats wrong with stock ECU power? Or Power off Ignition?

DJ

DJ.... stock ECU is a good source.... basically you just want a 12V always on source that will power while cranking the vehicle.

There were a few talking about running thew power wire off of the coil and other sources that may not be active 12V all the time.

The stock ECU is a prime source because it is an active 12V source and obviously originally intended to do the same thing, power the ECU.