dry ice trick?

kewpie

I have a student who swears by this.  he takes some dried ice, puts a towell over a small dent , puts the ice on the towell, and the dent pops out.  Has anyone heard of someone doing this?  The car he has looks fine, just wondering.

I have heared of throwing ice on  a dent after the car has sat out in the hot sun all day.  Something about the thermal contraction and expansion of the metal will pop the dent out.  I've never seen it done.  I watched a guy on monster garage screw up a roof with a tourch and a bag of ice.  The extreem temp only made the wapage worse.  I would be cautious unless you try it on a scrap fender or hood.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...
you can also take a hairdrier and heat the dent up real good the turn a can of tht air in a can for computers upside down. Then spray the CO2 on the dent and around it and you can see most big dents pop right out as the cold spot evaporates. The cans of the spray may be easier to get the the dry ice. I have seen a video on the technic will try to find it again.

• 2 weeks later...

i hope all of y'all do understand this is total b.s.

the heat and then cool method is what we in the body buisness call shrinking. but you aint gonna do it with no friggin hairdryer. and also if you got a situation that needs some shrinking, its coz you got stretched out metal. you can also destroy a panel if you dont know what your doing.

Yeah, it will only work on a particular type of dent. It's gotta be a large, non-sharp impact of low velocity- like leaning against a fender or 1/4 or something. It also can't be creased or on a body line. If you notice, in that video, there is a smaller sharper dent right next to the large one they take out, that isn't affected at all.

All it's doing is bringing a "oil can" type dent to its natural state, but at that point the metal is still flawed. If you look closely, you can still see a minimal amount of warpage. My guess is they did that process many times in that area. My guess is you could walk up to that car and push on it with your finger and put that dent right back in.

The only way to properly remove a dent like that and fix the metal will be torchwork and shrinking which will require more heat than a hairdryer can muster, and far more heat than the paint can withstand.

Cheap, temporary fixes are great for hoopties. If it's any car you care about, have it done right.

fixing dents with dry ice is kinda like rogaine and hair growh stuff. if it really worked there wouldnt be any balding men out there. well if the dry ice thing worked there wouldnt be many cars with dents in them and there wouldnt be a need for bondo. and if it did work the body shops would be using it.