Engine Management

I have asked this before with no real answers so i will ask again. >:(

Would it be possible to use a 4cyl Tubo cars ECU like the eclipse for example and just throw  a S-AFC on it or something and run our MPI with it?

No, this topic comes up often.  The biggest reason being is the trigger.  Most MPI turbo-charged cars have cam triggers.  It's not possible to install a cam trigger on a G54B.  There have been many other reasons why an ECU off another car would not work for a custom MPI, and of course I can't remember them all.  It's allot more cost effective to use an after-market standalone.

are there any that arent cam triggered?

Yeah, but i can't think of them right now.  You must understand something first.  It's more then just wireing up the motor and turning the key.  The ECU has to be able to read and undersatnd what's going on with the engine.  You'll have to be able to change the settings of the ECU to match your setup.  And I don't believe that can be done.  You'll have to find a 4-cyl. MPI turbocharged car, that has the exact same setup as yours.  That reads the air temp, reads the trigger & trigger angle, and senes load the exact same way that your setup does.  And if that were to happen, you would not be making any real power after all that.  With a stand-alone, all your power is made with the ignition curve.  The fuel curve is there so you don't lean out your motor with the rest of your setup.  You won't be able to change the ignition map, so you'll still be running factory maps from some other car.

And trust me, after you get finish doing all that work and actually get your car to run, you'll be PISSED if it's not an animal!!!!

There's no cheap way around it, if you are gonna go MPI, just go ahead and get a stand-alone.  A MegaSquirt is about the cheapiest way of doing it.

if i had the money i'd get a TEC3 system, that's my dream computer, it's got the most tuning points of aftermarket ecu's i believe, and you can control every aspect, you get datalogging for pretty much anything under the sun.... or at least your hood. plus it has programable outputs, and all sorts of other cool stuff. only set back is ~1900 price. but all in all, that's a good price for what it does.

if i had the money i'd get a TEC3 system, that's my dream computer, it's got the most tuning points of aftermarket ecu's i believe, and you can control every aspect, you get datalogging for pretty much anything under the sun.... or at least your hood. plus it has programable outputs, and all sorts of other cool stuff. only set back is ~1900 price. but all in all, that's a good price for what it does.

I looked at a TEC III, I think it cost to much.  You can get all the same features for $500 less with a E11, or ~$800 les with a E6K (E6X).  But the good thing about a Tec II (III) is that you don't have to buy a ignition box.

actually, if you are using a stock dist to trigger a computers ignition and injection events, you are using a cam trigger.

The DSM Ecu likely could be used, but it would require some level of electronics expertise. The stock trigger isn't a square-wave trigger like a hall effect sensor, which is what is used on a DSM. You could use the DSM ECU if you could, like many ECU manufacturers like Haltech, make reluctor adapter and convert the signal to square wave.

Joel