Dyno results

well, went to the dyno today, did some tuning, got some results.  my expert analysis says the stock cam is CRAP.  i was hoping for decent power assuming the mpi and big boost would do it, but at 15psi the car could only muster 200rwhp and 240ft-lbs of torque.  we worked out a lot of tuning issues but the car doesn't want to do much until about 3k and then bottlenecks out at 5k-5.5k and that's all she wrote.  i guess boosting against a closed valve doesn't make more power :P

so next step on the dyno is either a 284 or tim c's banshee cam, and a shawn silva adjustable cam gear.  this will make for a pretty nice power comparison and show the value of a cam to a car with MPI and a big turbo. ;)  Tim, wanna donate a cam? ;D

recommend Tim's cam. Tim has his game together on those cams.

I have his mechanical cam.

I bet your cam timing is all whacked out.

You should be making 200 RWHP with only 3 cylinders with that nice set up you have.

Still run the stock exhaust manifold??

recommend Tim's cam. Tim has his game together on those cams.

I have his mechanical cam.

I bet your cam timing is all whacked out.

You should be making 200 RWHP with only 3 cylinders with that nice set up you have.

Still run the stock exhaust manifold??

yeah stock exhaust manifold modified with a T4 flange, but HEAVILY ported.  my next round of parts is on the way, a shawn silva cam gear and tim's screamin banshee cam.  other than that possibly a .58 housing for the turbo to aide in spoolup over the .86 that's on there now.

and i am sure my cam timing is screwed up, as i have no way of adjusting it right now and the new head/decked block has surely thrown it off a good bit.  so basically i'm looking for some huge power gains from a cam/cam gear. ;D

Well at lest you make me feel a little better about my 225hp and 258 tq at 13psi ;D I got full spool at 3700 on the dyno. A pic of the dyno sheet would be very cool :) And dont worry about low #'s you will get it running better.

Ya a .86 open housing is pretty darn big!

Are you going to a .58 open housing or a .58 split tang?

i'll have to see.  i may just go to a T3 turbine side because it will still flow plenty enough on the top end (my buddy's 585whp civic hatch revs to 8k with a T3/T70 combo, and i know i'm not flowing nearly as much as he is through the head).  i guess i'll just have to see about getting a header and such for it.

Well at lest you make me feel a little better about my 225hp and 258 tq at 13psi ;D I got full spool at 3700 on the dyno. A pic of the dyno sheet would be very cool :) And dont worry about low #'s you will get it running better.

what cam was that with?

how much is full boost? you mean 13psi?

Yea, 13psi. In real life it spools faster but the dyno doesnt give the engine enof load.

yeah, the street does give better spoolup than the dyno on my car too.  around 500rpm sooner on the street compared to the dyno in fact.

next round of mods will include:

SFP Header

new T3/T4 or t3/60-1

Tim C Monsta Banshee Cam

Shawn Silva Adjustable cam gear

Head porting.

Art, what kind of headwork does your car have?  i'm very curious as you obviously did something right that i most definitely did wrong seeing as your car made more power than mine and at only 7psi ;D.  what cam/valves/springs etc?

i have the HKS cam. i am thinking the difference might be partially due to that and the intercooler. that is an HKS also but i am sure its just using a spearco core which is about 1 inch larger in all 3 directions. dont forget tunning, mine was done on a dyno but it was mainly dont at 7psi. i am going to wait  till i do the my motor soon before i go and get it retuned.

• 2 weeks later...

Just out of curiousity, and the talk of cams, is the TEP performance cam crap? Because it seems like my car runs out of steam, at like 5-5.5k rpms. But with the 19c I should pull all the way to redline....

PS. sorry for stealing the thread and going off topic...

I had the TEP street cam on my old car and it was very good. not as aggresive as the HKS. if you gona get it from them get the their strip cam. the reason your car stops pulling is the TD05 exhaust housing of the turbo, no matter what you put on the compressor side, that thing will not flow much after 5k rpm out the exhaust.

I am also running the TEP street cam. I just put my car on the dyno again Saturday, September 6. I had it on the dyno in July but my boost was spiking to 21psi and settling in at 15psi with the internal waste gate and was only getting 270 hp to the wheel and 370 ft/lbs of torque. I have since gone to a Tial external wastegate and I'm able to hold 20psi of boost throughout the run. I pulled 329 hp to the wheel and 398 ft/lbs of torque. Not bad with the TEP Cam.

The TEP cam does run out of steam at 6000 rpm. Anything over 6100 and it start to miss badly(could be the valves floating). No complaints under 6000 rpm, though. I could probably sacrifice a little torque for a few extra horsepower, but on the street, light to light "torque is king." I can be rolling along at 30mph in second gear and hit the gas and the tires start to spin. It's a kick to drive. The down side is I do run, exclusively, 100 octane gas @ $3.90 a gallon. But for what little I drive it, that's about $40 a week in the summer. I really like the safety margin of the 100 octane, especially at 20 to 21 psi of boost with a T3/T4

I would be happy to post my dyno here on the boards, however, I need someone to assist me on how to post it. Do I just take a picture of it with a digital camera and save the file? How do I paste the file to the site?

Thanks,

Dave C.

sounds like a nice setup to me.  

i just put on the SFP header and t3/60-1 turbo and it's like an entirely different car :o.  boost comes up super fast and holds steady.  i've got it tuned pig rich again until i get back to the dyno after the cam arrives but it runs soooooo much better than before.

• 2 months later...