a few questions,. mpi  ( please )

I have the stuff wired up,. where are you guys putting the air temp at??  the book says, the after intercooler... i was thinking in the, intake pipe to the turbo.  thats where the stock sytem gets it from.  Any thoughts, or rude remarks??  :-/

oh,.  also,. that dang idle adjuster, when its cold out., it has to be grounded, i was going to throw it on the firewall,. but the hood comes to close to it,.

I have been at this weekend, ( or all of it )..  any ideas, or helpfull hints..to make this easier...

thanx

Dan....my car originally had the intake air temp sensor mounted in the intake plenum

after the throttle plate. This caused some problems with cold start and idle surging....the cause of that possibly because wrong sensor was being used, but the right one wasnt available. So after talk with someone with mitsu tech advice it was mounted in the intake pipe before the turbo and tuned. I recently just installed the correct temp sensor in that same location and loaded the base air temp map from the haltech software and it runs like a champ. It makes sense that it should be mounted near the throttle plate, but the stock sensor is mounted upstream from the turbo and thats where i have it. No issues at all so far  ;)

-Neil

Mine is mounted befor the turbo also. I was reading the Tec instalation guide and it recomends mounting it after the i/c and befor the throttle plate.  To me this would make sense since the air after the i/c will be diffrent than ambiant air. When I mention this to EIP they said that it works better before the turbo but I don't remember what thier reasoning was.  At the very least if it was after the i/c you could monitor the air temp that was going into the motor and determin how efficient your i/c is.

http://a1.cpimg.com/image/6F/FB/11237231-4583-028001E0-.jpg

Mine is underneath the BOV, maybe 4"" from the TB.

You want the temps after the IC as that is your actual intake temp, not say 120* air coming off of HOT asphalt at the track.

Like Heefner said I can monitor my intake temps too.

Thanks for the help... im not sure what im going to do now..... ???     two books, sds,an tech say after..an you two have them before...An boosted has it after.  An iit works out alright. having it before, the turbo would give you that drivablity, when it gets colder out, an warmer....an having it in the intake, or before the throttle would give you actual temp.(for drivablity?)  But no bonus for having the ic on it.  Man im lost. :-/

maybe im thinking to much about it,. an picking it apart. even though, me an eip had probs, they do know how to tune things. But if you spedn enough time at it, it could be tuned either way...................heck im going for a breather.

thanks again. I apreciate the help. (its probably spelled wrong).

In the Haltech manual it also says after the IC and B4 the throttle plate.  When the book says after the IC it means the ECU wants to know the temp of the air, after it passes through the IC (which of course, changes the temp of the air).  I have mine mounted right before the throttle plate.

BTW- Boosted-One has his mounted before the throttle plate, and after the IC.

Theoricly~ If the air temp sensor is mounted before the turbo.  It will read the temp of the air as it comes off the street (As Boosted One said).  But the air will be compressed by the turbo (which heats it up) then pushed through the IC (which cools it down), then into the TB.  So it wouldn't be that accurate mounted there.  

B4 I piss somebody off, AGAIN, that's all based on theory.  I start my MPI and EMS experience Thursday.

Take it EZ

Theoricly~ If the air temp sensor is mounted before the turbo.  It will read the temp of the air as it comes off the street (As Boosted One said).  But the air will be compressed by the turbo (which heats it up) then pushed through the IC (which cools it down), then into the TB.  So it wouldn't be that accurate mounted there.  

Take it EZ

That's exactly it.

In the Haltech manual it also says after the IC and B4 the throttle plate.  When the book says after the IC it means the ECU wants to know the temp of the air, after it passes through the IC (which of course, changes the temp of the air).  I have mine mounted right before the throttle plate.

BTW- Boosted-One has his mounted before the throttle plate, and after the IC.

B4 I piss somebody off, AGAIN, that's all based on theory.  I start my MPI and EMS experience Thursday.

Take it EZ

good point,.  i'm not trying to sound like an idiot, i just picked it aprat last night...i guess,..  like you said,. compressed,. chilled,. an what not.  acuracy, is where its at then. thankx  :)

i'd like to make one point that this sensor really doesnt affect things in any type of extreme detail. If you take a look at the map chart for the sensor and how different temps effect it, it requires a changed of aroun 25 F before the mixture even changes a little. One is example is I originally had a brass type sensor that was pulling heat from the intake pipes, i was gettin air temp readings around 170's F. After installing the correct one, on a warm florida day at idle at a stop reads around 100 F, once u move over 15mph the reading is almost dead on to ambient or cooler. I dont know what kinda temps you get with the sensor after the IC, but no real probs here with it mounted before the turbo...

-Neil

Theoretically the car has to be tunned either way. So I'm gussing the parameters that you tune with will make adjustments based on where its located.   The efficency of the i/c is constant so I can't see it making a huge difference.  I think it would be nice if I was crusing around town and it was say 85 degrees and I could see that at 12 psi my intake air temp was 75 degrees.   Other than that  :-/

just for info purpose's..  

a 93 stang,. running thier 4 cylinder an a t3, on it..  he ended up putting the air temp in the pass fenderwell.  to smooth out  the rough, drivabiltiy problems he was having.  Im not real sure on the problem's,. to be exact..  but he was getting some,.real weird flucuations from the intake.  ( the heat soak,. intake or something. he said he went from the intake ( the lower part) to the ic, on the dump side.. then got feed up with it, an stuck it in the fenderwell. now weather or not,. is was just having problems tunning it, an the more he changed it or bounced it around the car,. the better it got., by more tunning..

just thought i would share, it with you.